Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #61
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Also, the dictionaries on Kindle are SO MUCH BETTER. It is crazy to see how a company like Kobo that stresses reading experience so much has such terrible offerings in the dictionary department. At the least, they should offer well-redacted dictionaries on their store, like Amazon does for language combinations that aren’t included for free.
This is true, kobo dictionary is useless, if You can find a word is because you already know its meaning, if You don't know a word You can't find it on the dictionary.
Problem solved with patch, I installed old dictionary, that was better and the patch "Change dicthtml strings to micthtml" to avoid synchronization of dictionary but we can't require that everybody do it.

Last edited by ps67; 10-08-2018 at 11:11 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #62
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Kindles are designed to read, while Kobos are for mostly tinkering / hacking.
How do you figure? Over the past several years, I have logged hundreds of hours and finished dozens of books on my Kobo Aura. I custom patch my firmware, but that's only a few minutes of "hacking/tinkering" once or twice a year, if that. I actually use a firmware that's several years old because I prefer it to the latest versions.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #63
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Yeah.

Kindles are designed to read, while Kobos are for mostly tinkering / hacking.
6 friends, all of them with Kobo, only of of them (me) tinkers with the reader, the others don't connect the ereader to Wifi (some of them, to calibre either).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #64
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
and Kobo, unlike the Kindle and Nook offerings, didn't reserve a large portion of internal storage for purchased books while leaving only a tiny sliver for sideloading.
This is true for the Nook but definitely not for any Kindle at least since the Kindle 3 (don’t know about 1 and 2, never owned those).
You can fill the Kindle up to the brim with sideloaded content, and technically at least, cloud storage is unlimited if you’re into that.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
He's not saying you can't sideload on both. He's saying that if you sideload Moby Dick on to a Kindle and read to chapter 5, you can then grab a tablet with the Kindle app and it will see the sideloaded book and open it to chapter 5.

Kobo only does that with books purchased from the Kobo store. Not sideloaded books.
I don't think he is saying that? I think the book needs to be in the Amazon cloud. Although sideloading may work if you edit the book first?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #66
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
If you sideloaded the book using send to Kindle. So it goes into Amazon cloud and shows up as a personal document , then the reading position will sync across apps and devices. But you have to have downgraded the book format to mobi for that to work. And to live with your Kindle saying it is not a book, it is a document.
There may be other workarounds but you can't just sideloaded a azw via usb and expect that to sync
Still better than anything you can do with kobo devices though
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #67
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
If you sideloaded the book using send to Kindle. So it goes into Amazon cloud and shows up as a personal document , then the reading position will sync across apps and devices. But you have to have downgraded the book format to mobi for that to work. And to live with your Kindle saying it is not a book, it is a document.
There may be other workarounds but you can't just sideloaded a azw via usb and expect that to sync
I thought you could also email the book to a Kindle account. I wasn't aware of the send to Kindle option. And I thought strictly speaking, "sideloading" meant using a USB connection, although I would relax the definition to using an SD card on Kobo's.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #68
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought you could also email the book to a Kindle account. I wasn't aware of the send to Kindle option. And I thought strictly speaking, "sideloading" meant using a USB connection, although I would relax the definition to using an SD card on Kobo's.
Sorry if my terminology confused. what I meant by "send to Kindle" is what you wrote above, that You email it to the email address associated with your device.by sending it in an email from a whitelisted email address,, as an attachment
But thinking about it there is a browser extension with the same name. Send to Kindle, that sends browser pages in a similar manner
Old 10-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #69
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The Amazon Cloud isn't the reason that most people use Amazon rather than Kobo. Actually their Cloud (and ANYONE's Cloud or Sync) should be avoided.
WHY

If I want to sync my reading position, what's wrong with doing that.?

Will your next post tell us to avoid using the internet also ?

I like my Amazon cloud drive. And my Google drive.

Where else can I store a lifetime of photos in secure unlimited free storage, accessible from multiple devices anywhere. Any time.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry if my terminology confused. what I meant by "send to Kindle" is what you wrote above, that You email it to the email address associated with your device.by sending it in an email from a whitelisted email address,, as an attachment
But thinking about it there is a browser extension with the same name. Send to Kindle, that sends browser pages in a similar manner
I believe the key is that it is in Amazon cloud, which allows the synchronization.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #71
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If you send a "dual" or "new" format mobi to Kindle, the file that downloads to AZW capable readers is basically an AZW. I've done it with files and can adjust the boldness and use custom fonts that you cannot do with an "old" format mobi.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
...I've had my Kobo Aura for 4-years now, and if it ever dies, I'm buying another Kobo even if I have to order from an overseas retailer.
You and me both. I don't care for Walmart, but if my Aura goes the way of the dodo, I'm planning on ordering a Clara HD from them. I hope their partnership lasts.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #73
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
He's not saying you can't sideload on both. He's saying that if you sideload Moby Dick on to a Kindle and read to chapter 5, you can then grab a tablet with the Kindle app and it will see the sideloaded book and open it to chapter 5.

Kobo only does that with books purchased from the Kobo store. Not sideloaded books.

Oh, I thought he was saying highlighting and taking notes wasn't possible on anything but books bought from Kobo... but I see now I took the information in between brackets to be the point instead of the information outside the brackets. Thanks for clarifying! 👍🏼
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #74
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
You and me both. I don't care for Walmart, but if my Aura goes the way of the dodo, I'm planning on ordering a Clara HD from them. I hope their partnership lasts.
My exact same plan if anything happens to my H2o2, especially since Walmart has such an easy return policy if I were to have a problem with mine.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Same here. Ever since Kobo got their software sorted, I‘ve started eyeing their offerings. But I really like to read between my Kindle and iPad (e.g. for taking notes, copying quotes etc.) and that is something that is simply not supported on Kobo for books other than those that you get from their store.
Personally, I think you put far to much emphasis on this. For the people I know who are using ereaders, none of them are reading on multiple devices. And, I have had to demonstrate the annotations function as they didn't know about it. There reactions tended to be somewhere between "cute" and "why?".
Quote:
Also, the dictionaries on Kindle are SO MUCH BETTER. It is crazy to see how a company like Kobo that stresses reading experience so much has such terrible offerings in the dictionary department. At the least, they should offer well-redacted dictionaries on their store, like Amazon does for language combinations that aren’t included for free.
Again, I think a lot more emphasis is put on this here than really exists. Again, I've had to teach people about the dictionary in their ereaders. And most thought "handy" but didn't expect to use it. And I have reminded some of these people about it at other times.

But, I do agree that Kobo should have a better dictionary available. The last time I looked, they appeared to be using the free Merriam-Webster electronic dictionary. So, the choice was probably about keeping the cost down. An option to buy a better one for those who need it would be good.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote