Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #61
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
One new thing I noticed since 3.17.3 is that after sync says it is complete, but is really still running in the background, when I turn wi-fi off I don't get a popup telling me sync is still running and asking if I want to cancel, it just turns wi-fi off and silently cancels the sync.
Fortunately in 3.18 it's back to showing you are syncing until you are actually done syncing. That one irritated me too.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #62
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo appear to be expanding to Turkey. They have added "Türkçe" as an interface language.
Or they're expanding to the Turkish community in Germany and other countries. Either way, the more languages the merrier.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #63
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Fortunately in 3.18 it's back to showing you are syncing until you are actually done syncing. That one irritated me too.
I think it is still doing stuff in the background after it says "Sync Complete", it is just that turning off wi-fi silently cancels the background sync instead of asking for confirmation like it did in 3.17.3.

When I sync I see this sequence:
1. Checking for updates
2. Starting Sync
3. Sync Complete
4. Recommendations tile appears on homescreen

If I turn off wi-fi before 3. then I get a popup asking if I want to cancel sync.

But if I turn off wi-fi immediately after 3. then the recommendations tile doesn't appear, which makes me think the sync was cancelled.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I cant wait to see what Murg calls this release!

regards

Jack
the OMG! We have a new firmware release that we had no clue was coming. release.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #65
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's really the 3.17.7 in disguise release...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #66
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
I'm with you IanD -- I actually like the kepub headers and footers. Together with the cover screensaver, it makes me feel like I'm reading a physical book -- but with all the advantages of an ebook device!
Count me in this camp too.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #67
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On my Glo, some of the symptoms of the FullScreenReading refresh bug appear in normal reading mode too. To see the problem:

1. Open a book (I used a Kobo-synced KePub) from the homescreen or library
2. Tap the centre of the screen to bring up the menus: note no refresh occurs
3. tap the screen to close the menus: note that a refresh does occur

The above is normal behaviour, it was exactly the same for the last few firmware versions.

4. Put the device to sleep, without exiting the book, and wake it up again.
5. Tap the centre of the screen to bring up the menus: note that now a refresh occurs
6. tap the screen to close the menus: note that another refresh occurs

The extra refresh when tapping to bring up the menus continues until closing the book. This is exactly the same pattern, albeit with milder effects, to what occurs with the FullScreenReading feature. The trigger conditions are the same: putting the device to sleep, using the dictionary, table of contents, advanced font controls, reading settings menu. Some part of the reading state is not being restored properly when returning to the reading view after sleep/dictionary/etc.

Can someone confirm that this happens on their device too? (Other than the Aura, which is affected differently.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #68
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
On my Glo, some of the symptoms of the FullScreenReading refresh bug appear in normal reading mode too. To see the problem:

1. Open a book (I used a Kobo-synced KePub) from the homescreen or library
2. Tap the centre of the screen to bring up the menus: note no refresh occurs
3. tap the screen to close the menus: note that a refresh does occur

The above is normal behaviour, it was exactly the same for the last few firmware versions.

4. Put the device to sleep, without exiting the book, and wake it up again.
5. Tap the centre of the screen to bring up the menus: note that now a refresh occurs
6. tap the screen to close the menus: note that another refresh occurs

The extra refresh when tapping to bring up the menus continues until closing the book. This is exactly the same pattern, albeit with milder effects, to what occurs with the FullScreenReading feature. The trigger conditions are the same: putting the device to sleep, using the dictionary, table of contents, advanced font controls, reading settings menu. Some part of the reading state is not being restored properly when returning to the reading view after sleep/dictionary/etc.

Can someone confirm that this happens on their device too? (Other than the Aura, which is affected differently.)
I can confirm this also happens on the Glo HD. I was already wondering why i got an additional refresh when tapping the centre of the screen.
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #69
chebe
chebe began at the beginning.

After updating my Kobo Glo with this 3.18.0 firmware (through Kobo Desktop) my glo froze on the home screen (showing my one single new book, from the kobobooks, in a tile). It wouldn't respond to touch at all, nor did the light button do anything. I rebooted, and reset, several times, no difference. Plugged it into the computer, nothing happened, as if no device was plugged in. Doing a factory reset now.
chebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #70
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Quote:
Yes, for Aura H2O on 3.18.0 for kepubs.

If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed ... bummer.
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #71
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes, on my Glo too.

Last edited by oren64; 09-26-2015 at 09:51 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #72
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Here's what I noticed on my H2O, after installing 3.18.0 and adding FullScreenReading=True to the config file -- Definitely the every page refresh that GeoffR noted, but I haven't heard anyone say that it is a very intrusive refresh -- I actually get a double flash where you can see a full page black screen for a nano-second. When I tick the box to get my header and footer back, the refresh goes back to whatever my reading settings were at (4 pages in my case)....BUT....moving between chapters of a book (kepub) I get the very intrusive refresh.

Deleting the FullScreenReading=True line from my config file solved all problems (except, obviously, being able to read full screen, which I don't personally care about).

So, without that config line addition, I think 3.18.0 is an improvement. There's definitely less ghosting, so I can set my page refresh to a higher number. Unscientifically, it seems at least as -- if not more -- snappy as 3.17.3.

The only bug still going on that I'd like to see fixed is the inability to turn off the screen if you're plugged into a charger (vs. a computer).

And thanks, as always, to GeoffR for the quick patches for new firmwares.

Last edited by rogerinnyc; 09-26-2015 at 12:12 PM.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #73
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Here's what I noticed on my H2O, after installing 3.18.0 and adding FullScreenReading=True to the config file -- Definitely the every page refresh that GeoffR noted, but I haven't heard anyone say that it is a very intrusive refresh -- I actually get a double flash where you can see a full page black screen for a nano-second. When I tick the box to get my header and footer back, the refresh goes back to whatever my reading settings were at (4 pages in my case)....BUT....moving between chapters of a book (kepub) I get the very intrusive refresh.
For me it's an almost full black screen, with a bit of white at the top and the bottom.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #74
neanius
neanius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Twitter

Hi,

Does anyone know how to activate Twitter on Kobo Aura H2O 3.18.0?
I managed to make it appear (by typing Twitter=true in .config folder) in the "Accounts" list, but apparently ther's no way of logging in to my Twitter account.
Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks.
neanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #75
lradam
lradam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo HD Glo
firmware 3.18 update did not fix problem with my Glo HD not being able to connect to hidden network
lradam is offline   Reply With Quote