Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #61
angomania
angomania began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I can confirm that this adapter was working for my PW3 serial jailbreak.
(XCSOURCE FT232RL 3.3V 5.5V) Search for FT232RL on amazon or eBay.

This chip can handle 1.8v. The converter has a jumper for selecting the voltage, just unplug the jumper and connect it to your PW3. I have checked the voltage with a meter.
The chip automatically adapts to it to 1.8V.

Thx knc1 for your help

Last edited by angomania; 11-08-2015 at 11:59 AM.
angomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #62
noismaster
noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.noismaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by angomania View Post
Need a little help.
I´ve opend my kindle PW3 and connected it to ttl serial adapter.
I´m using HTerm as terminal program and connect to my kindle (115200/8/1)
When the kindle is starting I see some output from your kindle startup in HTerm.
I´ve tried to stop autoboot by pressing a key (Hit any key to stop autoboot but it won´t stop.

I´ve tried a lot of times but it wont stop. Here is some output (I´ve removed the serial from my pw3):

I also tried other terminal programs (putty, hyperterm)
It might be that your RX connection isn't solid or that you have "Hardware Flow Control" enabled or something else mis configured.

On my first try I had "Hardware Flow Control" enabled in minicom and couldn't interrupt boot.

Try shorting TX and RX (remove wires from Kindle) and type something it should appear in the screen.

Try different setting
noismaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #63
angomania
angomania began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noismaster View Post
It might be that your RX connection isn't solid or that you have "Hardware Flow Control" enabled or something else mis configured.

On my first try I had "Hardware Flow Control" enabled in minicom and couldn't interrupt boot.

Try shorting TX and RX (remove wires from Kindle) and type something it should appear in the screen.

Try different setting
Thx. I´ve solved the problem. It was "Hardware Flow Control", it was enabled.
angomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #64
HLFH
HLFH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi,

I didn't solder anything in my life. But I want to try. Could you help me to understand the needed hardware? I'm in France right now.

1. I believe that buying FTDI TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE from Farnell is ok.

2. I believe that buying a Tenma 60W soldering station from Farnell is also ok. Should I also find a desoldering station? Or a combo soldering+desoldering station product? Which temperature level should I use to solder the wires to the Kindle?

3. For the thin soldering wire, could I use a 28 AWG wire like this one? Or could I easily transform a 24 AWG Cat5 Ethernet cable to a 24 AWG soldering wire for the Kindle?

3. I have a Linux PC and a Kindle PW2. Did I miss something for the hardware requirements?

4. Is there any video for the serial kailbreak of the Kindle products?

Thanks in advance,
HLFH

Last edited by HLFH; 12-11-2015 at 07:13 PM.
HLFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) Correct
2) Far too large.
Do not use this as a project to learn how to solder, it is hard for even the experienced people to do by hand.

Instead, look at our several "no solder" solutions.

We have written up here:
Sharp pins, just held in-place temporarily -
Wire, held in place by hot glue and the connections completed with conductive glue -
My thread on DIY Conductive paint.

3) That 28 awg size wire spool is about 24-2/3 meters more than you need.
The 24 awg size is probably too large - these are really small pads.
Google 'wire wrapping wire' its 30 .. 32 gage and low cost.

Second 3) Linux PC and PW-2 will do fine - this thread gives Windows instructions, but just use mini-com and everything will 'just work'.

4) No video.
Consider the photos in this thread a manual page turn slide show.

= = = =

There are several threads here, in addition to this one (such as the sticky one), that have a lot of information on the process (we had to choose one for the sticky section - the others are good also).

Last edited by knc1; 12-11-2015 at 07:20 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #66
elborak
Enthusiast
elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
2) Far too large.
Actually it may be fine, depending on what tip(s) are included (which they don't show).

But...
Quote:
Do not use this as a project to learn how to solder, it is hard for even the experienced people to do by hand.

Agree 100%. On a hand soldering difficulty scale of 1-10, this is at least a 7 and way too tricky for a first soldering project.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #67
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) Correct
2) Far too large.

We have written up here:
Sharp pins, just held in-place temporarily -
Wire, held in place by hot glue and the connections completed with conductive glue -
My thread on DIY Conductive paint.

3) That 28 awg size wire spool is about 24-2/3 meters more than you need.
The 24 awg size is probably too large - these are really small pads.
Google 'wire wrapping wire' its 30 .. 32 gage and low cost.

Second 3) Linux PC and PW-2 will do fine - this thread gives Windows instructions, but just use mini-com and everything will 'just work'.

4) No video.
Consider the photos in this thread a manual page turn slide show.

= = = =

There are several threads here, in addition to this one (such as the sticky one), that have a lot of information on the process (we had to choose one for the sticky section - the others are good also).
This. Soldering is not easy. 25 years ago I had a job working on video game mother boards. I am so glad the boss had old boards I could practice on. And video game boards back then look huge compared to a kindle. And even those solders were very small.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:12 AM   #68
HLFH
HLFH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
1. I'll buy this one, because you say it's ok.

2. Let's say I don't have a brain and that I'm a real dummy. Do you have buying links where I could find the best hardware for the best "no solder solution" that will work to serial jailbreak the Kindle PW2?

3. Is this 30 AWG wire wrapping wire ok?
HLFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:51 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) That is the one.
In fact, so many Kindle owners where buying that cable, that FTDI had to increase production in Europe (according to twobob).

2) I don't recall that the person who described using conductive glue supplied a link, or even a product name.
Since your shopping at the company which is known as Newark in the USA, I try searching there.
But of course, I don't know if I will find it.
I did find it (Newark/Farnell/Element14 carries it) but even in the smallest quantity it is very expensive (more than the Kindle).
Instead, try my DIY conductive ink thread - a small amount of powdered graphite mixed into Black Acrylic Ink (or artists paint).

3) Yes, that is the wire I described.
Ignore the picture of a multi-conductor wire, the 28 and 30 gage wire is single conductor, which is just what you need.
Silver plated copper - very easy to make connections.

Last edited by knc1; 12-12-2015 at 06:02 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #70
bobtista
bobtista began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite PW3
Thank you for this! I'm about to serial jailbreak a PW3 (G090G1) currently running the latest firmware, I plan to use K5 JailBreak (5.0.x - 5.4.4.2), so I can use a remote to turn pages (lazykindle). After I jailbreak, what things do I need to avoid doing (eg firmware updates) to make sure I don't lose the jailbreak? Like what are the do's/don'ts here?
bobtista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:50 AM   #71
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have successfully jailbroken a new (refurbished) KV shipped with fw 5.10.2.
Some details in my post in main serial jb thread.
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:51 PM   #72
hhware
hhware began at the beginning.

Am I right that these instructions apply only to working Voyage? Mine is bricked after software update (it first failed with error code 2, now stuck on a black screen). Does it make any sense for me to try these?
hhware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #73
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhware View Post
Am I right that these instructions apply only to working Voyage? Mine is bricked after software update (it first failed with error code 2, now stuck on a black screen). Does it make any sense for me to try these?
It's worth a try - if your Kindle can boot past U-Boot, you have a good chance of being able to recover it.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak