Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #61
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
800x600 resolution on an 8 inch model ?? even with color that will never be a good one, even the Glo on 6 inch has a bigger resolution.. so i would never buy such a thing, it could maybe display the cover in color,but the txt stays black and white and on an 8 inch,800x600 looks terrible !
Yes, that's the Triton e-ink screen, like the Pocketbook Color Lux.

The same screen is used by the Pocketbook InkPad 840 without the colour layer in its native 1600x1200 resolution.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #62
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes, that's the Triton e-ink screen, like the Pocketbook Color Lux.

The same screen is used by the Pocketbook InkPad 840 without the colour layer in its native 1600x1200 resolution.
I can't judge it on its view on that page but it says:
8 inch E-Ink Triton, 800 x 600, 125 dpi
Even the Glo at 6 inch has: 1024 x 768, 210 dpi.
While it has nothing to do in a firmware topic (no I am not say you go offtopic,ik bedoel het goed ) I don't think that stated on this resolution and such a low dpi, I would ever want this. (unless it switch back to the native resolution when reading plain txt from an epub), but then even 8 inch is a bit to big,it is maybe handy for pdf and/or study books but on a normal epub or kepub it adds nothing with a coulor screen and then the difference between 210 dpi and 125 is to big.
My Aura HD with 6,8 inch is even to big to read comfortable in bed (I use a Glo for that) and to pick out an 8 inch reader out of your pocket,you must have a coat like a firefighter.
It is maybe to far to judge on my own experience,but for common daily use,I would never buy it, to big and to low DPI rate and to low resolution.
But,we will see...
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #63
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also I really think that a colour device would require fundamentally more changes than we're seeing in the f/w.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #64
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also I really think that a colour device would require fundamentally more changes than we're seeing in the f/w.
I am not that technical to say that,you are better into this.
But when I make a screenshot,it already is in color, so "behind the screens" it handles pictures and things like that already in color..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #65
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
On the H2O the display framebuffer already uses colors [two bytes per pixel, RGB565]. You can take colored screenshots and if there was a way to make it use another display it would display colors as well.

I think this is not so much to support future color devices but for simplicity reasons... the books have colored covers, may contain colored images, etc. and you have to translate that color to the displays' capability somehow, and it's easier to do that in a central location (such as the display driver) rather than reimplementing it in each part of the software that may have to handle colored images (book reader, library viewer, browser, ...).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #66
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Another guess, a wild one!
Could the 800x600 be the first commercial color ereader from Kobo?
An 8"model?
See this supplier of eInk sheets
Now that is a wild idea.

Unfortunately the color E-ink screens aren't very colorful, and they can't display white.

It would be a mistake for Kobo to release one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #67
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Didn't Amazon Kindle buy company developing color screen for ereaders? I've never heard good news afterward. Russia was going to buy color ereaders for students to reduce tremendous school books distribution problems in the huge country but it never happened. I will believe it when I see it really happening.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #68
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It would be a mistake for Kobo to release one.
I was going to say: then of course Kobo will release it.

Then I released that we were talking about Kobo and not Barnes & Noble.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #69
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Didn't Amazon Kindle buy company developing color screen for ereaders? I've never heard good news afterward. Russia was going to buy color ereaders for students to reduce tremendous school books distribution problems in the huge country but it never happened. I will believe it when I see it really happening.
Amazon bought _a_ company developing an LCD competitor. We don't actually know what Amazon will use Liquavista's tech for.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I was going to say: then of course Kobo will release it.

Then I released that we were talking about Kobo and not Barnes & Noble.
That's just mean. True, but mean. LOL
Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's just mean. True, but mean. LOL
I don't think we'll see any other eInk (or any other electronic paper) Readers from B&N. They seriously botched the nook line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #72
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think we'll see any other eInk (or any other electronic paper) Readers from B&N. They seriously botched the nook line.
I don't think we'll see anything new, either. B&N is merely treading water while getting ready to drown Nook media.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #73
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Updated my Aura HD to 3.12.1 (sigh! more (un)social media twiddles, while real bug-fixes go wanting), and I'm glad (in a sense) to hear I'm not the only one who's seeing enhanced ghosting.

Another buglet I'm seeing: after sideloading books, stopping the USB connection and unplugging the cable, the screen stays on "connected and charged". I don't get the "Processing content" screen anymore. It maintains the connection screen for a short while after disconnection, and then goes straight to the home screen. When I go into the Library, the books I've just loaded have been processed; the device just no longer says it's doing it.

Anyone else seeing this?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #74
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Updated my Aura HD to 3.12.1 (sigh! more (un)social media twiddles, while real bug-fixes go wanting), and I'm glad (in a sense) to hear I'm not the only one who's seeing enhanced ghosting.

Another buglet I'm seeing: after sideloading books, stopping the USB connection and unplugging the cable, the screen stays on "connected and charged". I don't get the "Processing content" screen anymore. It maintains the connection screen for a short while after disconnection, and then goes straight to the home screen. When I go into the Library, the books I've just loaded have been processed; the device just no longer says it's doing it.

Anyone else seeing this?
Aura H2O, 3.12.1. The Processing bar shows up about 10 seconds after ejecting the device from Calibre, before pulling the plug out.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The ghosting from wake on sleep with 3.13.1 seems to be gone. When I use the sleep cover to wake my H2O, I am not getting some lighter text on the page it's displaying on wake.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote