Sony 38 17.35%
Kobo tablet 2 0.91%
Kobo e-ink 66 30.14%
iPad 13 5.94%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #61
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I like my nook with Glowlight and keep my Kindle Paperwhite handy for Kindle shorts and subscription reading but I like the Kobo eReaders best because they provide the most "book-like" reading experience. That is, they capture the best part of reading a book. Kobo provides the structure to duplicate the most important elements (useful page numbers, book title, margin settings, etc.) but the Kobos leave the rest up to me to put the way I want it. Nothing else gives the same level of user freedom.

I have experienced a few user errors in learning to use my Kobo Auras, but haven't seen anything I would consider a genuine "bug" yet--nothing that interfered with reading comfortably at any rate. I've read many suggestions on Mobileread indicating ways readers would like to see them improved. The company is continuing to evolve the devices, apparently in response to readers' wishes, but the Kobo Auras work pretty nearly "just right" to suit me.

And I've been waiting quite awhile for an eReader to get this close to right.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #62
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I only read on the kindle for the first year or two I had it. My reading habits of changed a lot thought since then.

I read comics, newspapers and magazines on the iPad.
Fiction is for kindle and any nonfiction ebooks my library has.
I read on my iPod using the kindle app when I'm running around. The kindle is small and easy to carry, but the iPod is easier.
I still read most of my non-fiction books on paper.

Currently I have been clearing some space on my bookshelves as I switched to digital

I think my kindle is going to need replaced soon. Its just not working right lately. I might switch to Kobo, because I really liked the feel of the first batch of Kobo's. The Paperwhite is really nice too!
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #63
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I really like my Sony ereader, but tend to read mostly on my tablet.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #64
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I rerally like my sony reader T2
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #65
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Must be e-ink for me for reading. I use my Fire for play and media (non books) consumption only.
My eyes just aren't made for reading fiction on tablets. I started with the K1 in 2008, went to the K3 and then the PW1. But I was never really happy with the PW and the "milky" screen. Can't explain it, just wasn't totally happy. I also missed the page buttons. A month ago I bought the basic kindle and I am so happy again. The letters are on the top again and my eyes are relaxed.

So I hope they always make a basic non lighted version of the e-ink kindle or I can't read anymore. Or at least not as comfortably as I do now. And to me that is the most important part, the screen and how the experience of actually reading is. None of the bell and whistles will do me any good if I don't enjoy reading on it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #66
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Right now my Paperwhite is probably my favourite, but I like the look of both the Kobo Aura and the Sony T3, so if I'd opted for either of them instead of the PW, they'd probably be my current favourite. I really liked my Kindle 3, but the PW is far better. Oh, and I still really like my Sony 350 for it's size and the ergonomics of it in it's Sony cover (I normally prefer my ereaders 'naked'). To be honest, I'm not sure there is a perfect single ereader available, but I think we're pretty well covered with the various options, aren't we?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #67
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
I dislike upgrading or buying new things when the old product still functions. The Kindle Keyboard continues to serve me well.

I do keep an eye on eReader upgrades for the day it dies, which could be soon. I've been having power switch issues, only intermittently...
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #68
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
None of the above. I prefer nu tablet in winter and my BBMini in summer.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #69
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Nook HD+ tablet with Moon+ for cbr/cbr/anything in colour. Nook Glow for b&w epub. Sony PRS-505 for misc epubs.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #70
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Nook glo by far better then good old Sony PSR600

I had the Sony PSR600 for quite a while and was not impressed. One or two generations on a few little things changed - nothing big - but for daily use they make an tremendous difference for me. Battery life, anti glare, modern fonts (love avenir next), the ability to scale font and line distance - wow, what an improvement on usability.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #71
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
For extended reading and great battery life, my PW2. I do have other e-ink readers and I like them too, but the PW2 is my favorite.

I have a 7 inch KFHDX(new for Christmas) that I read on as well. It also comes in handy for school since I've found quite a few texts, medical dictionaries and apps for it.

I also have an iPad Air, but only read on that occasionally.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #72
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Has anyone answered "whatever is at hand" yet?

I like real paper books, but can't argue against the portability and utility of ebooks.

I use a Galaxy S2 nad Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 right now, as I can't justify buying a dedicated e-ink reader to carry around.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #73
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Ectaco Jetbook Lite for ebooks (from txt to epub)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) for anything in color (from comics to TV shows)

A while back I was offered a very simple Kindle of some kind by someone who didn't know I already had the above devices, could use Calibre, and had no desire to acquire or even get near wifi. My devices don't require me to check in with Big Brother (Amazon or B&N), and the Jetbook Lite runs on AA batteries
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #74
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I started out reading occasionally on an iPAQ; loved the portability although the battery life wasn't too good. Anyway, I stumbled on to the Sony 500 by chance at CompUSA back in mid-2007 and was intrigued with the eInk concept. This was before the Kindle debuted.

Anyway, I was seriously considering the 500 when the 505 came out and I got one of those in early 08 and liked it fine. Now have the T1 and not sure what I'd do if that tanked as Sony is apparently out of the US eBook market. Probably go with a Kobo to stay with ePub books.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #75
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Right now it's my iPad, it's the only one I have. I am debating between a Kindle DX or Paperwhite 3. I just love the full screen reading experience of the iPad, but it is becoming too heavy.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote