Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the new style?
I prefer the new style on Windows 68 57.63%
I prefer the old style on Windows 16 13.56%
I am indifferent 23 19.49%
I prefer the new style on OS X 7 5.93%
I prefer the old style on OS X 4 3.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #61
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
OK, I'll add the option in the next release.
Many thanks, Kovid!
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #62
fischbob
Sir
fischbob began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
OK, I'll add the option in the next release.
Thanks!
fischbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #63
terminalveracity
terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle
The new style is great--rounded corners everywhere give the interface a more unified feel. 2 minor things which may be beyond the scope of your question as they exist in both versions (using Win 7):

1. Connect/Share button doesn't match. It's missing the separator and the arrow isn't centered. Side note: I'd rather have the submenu options show up on mouseover rather than clicking the little arrow or have all the submenu options available as toolbar buttons.

2. The yellow highlighting to show placeholders for coverflow/book details/tag editor is distracting. Ideally, I'd rather be able to combine some/all of these into a single sidebar.
terminalveracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #64
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The buttons have different purposes when clicked on, and the arrow being different more clearly shows this. The one on the left when clicked down will give you a menu, the one on the right will perform an action unless you click on the split part off to the right which gives you a menu. Centering the arrows would make this way less clear.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The different arrow styles indicate different kinds of buttons, try clicking on them and you will see the difference. And you can right click on any button to get its popup menu. The yellow indicators are gone in the next release.

Since opinion favors the new style, the next release will have it as the default.

Note that if you prefer the old style you will have to change it back under preferences->look & feel->user interface style. This is a one time thing you will have to do after the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #66
terminalveracity
terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The different arrow styles indicate different kinds of buttons
I see what you mean; the connect/share button has no default action it just opens the submenu. Maybe I'm being too anal in wanting all the little arrows to line up.

Is there any chance we'd be able to add some of the submenu actions to the main toolbar? For instance, I have 4 different send-to addresses off the connect/share menu. Could I get 4 separate buttons on the toolbar?
terminalveracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The main problem is that the new buttons take up a lot more space width wise then the old buttons. On a limited width screen like my laptop, there is almost no space left.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #68
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@tv: No, that's not going to happen. You can create a custom plugin to d that for yourself, but it isn't going to be part of the default build.

@JSWolf: Consider making the buttons smaller and or hiding their text and or using a menubar in addition ot the toolbar.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #69
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
You can change the size of the buttons?? Learning somethin new every day.

And ohh, if the button doesn't open up sub-menues, but initiate an action, perhaps it shouldn't have an arrow at all?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #70
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
And ohh, if the button doesn't open up sub-menues, but initiate an action, perhaps it shouldn't have an arrow at all?
It doesn't
Old 06-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #71
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@tv: No, that's not going to happen. You can create a custom plugin to d that for yourself, but it isn't going to be part of the default build.
Funnily enough I did have way down my todo list to investigate whether it would be possible to create a plugin which would allow configuring "additional" toolbar buttons. I want a separate Eject button, and to replace the Add button whose default action I want to change. Others have suggested they want buttons to allow them to quickly switch to a different library. And then there is the request above of emailing buttons.

It would need some jiggery pokery specific to each suboption being supported. And there is always the risk that a user going into Preferences -> Toolbar to change their "standard" buttons might possibly destroy / badly interfere, I really haven't looked into the code for this purpose as yet. One day...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #72
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
I'm too late. From the poll, it wouldn't make any different I guess. Well, might as well say it.

I'm using Windows 8 and 7, and I prefer the old style, for the fact that it use System style. I was glad when I ran calibre on Windows 8 for the first time and it didn't look out of place because it used system style. All the tweak to Aero went through the calibre nicely. Now the new style make it out of place. *sigh*

I'd like to argue that a program should fellow the system style by default, but it's ok to be able to choose a different skin. Well, the poll say people disagree with me, and I can still change it back so not much to complain about.

Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #73
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
It doesn't
The illustration in post #63 begs to differ.
Or at least, that is the impression I got.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #74
kiwidude

@Kumajborn - read my post below it again. The button on the left gives you a menu, the button on the right performs an action in the main area of the button but gives you a menu if you click on the arrow portion. *Neither* are buttons without a menu.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #75
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Hypernova: Yes looking out of place is the principal drawback. But I think this poll shows that that is more than compensated for by the nicer looks/improved usability of the new style. Also, nowadays, more and more applications are choosing to no longer use the system style. Some examples: Microsoft Office, iTunes, *all* other ebook management programs. Not to mention all the webapps, that dont even have a "system style".

Still, calibre will continue to provide the system style as an option, for people that prefer it.