Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #61
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Since you agree that the scarcity of eBooks is artificial, how do you justify paying $10 for something that costs nothing to duplicate?
I don't think $10 is usually justifiable but I believe free is too cheap. It's about what the people who produced it want me to pay and whether that is reasonable. I'm hoping that ebooks create a more direct relationship between producers and consumers once there is not need for the traditional gatekeepers to the manufacturing process.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #62
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
He meant scarce as in a finite supply, or "if I have this copy, then you don't". neither of which apply to digital media such as mp3 or ebooks..
They apply if you choose to obey the fair use rules and only use what you paid for.
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #63
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
All physical objects are scarce by nature.
Since you agree that the scarcity of eBooks is artificial, how do you justify paying $10 for something that costs nothing to duplicate?
Apparently you never wrote a book. While it costs nothing (not really nothing since you need a PC, storage space, etc... but I digress) to create the container of the work, creating the story took effort and that is worth more than nothing.

As a software developer I have a similar issue. To "develop" a product itself can take many man years plus all the training of everyone on the team including developers, testers, writers, product managers, etc. However, once it is complete and we have the deployable files it takes maybe $1 a CD to create the container for what was perhaps millions of $'s of R&D cost. Are you going to say that the software is "worth" $1 cause that's what it cost us to create the CD copy the customer gets?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #64
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
They apply if you choose to obey the fair use rules and only use what you paid for.

Let me clarify: Digital media is only as scarce as the electrons it is made from. Everything else that makes it scarce is a mutually agreed upon fiction.

I wasn't trying to defend Rlauzon, only explain how he was using the word scarce. For the most part, I do not agree with him.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #65
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Let me clarify: Digital media is only as scarce as the electrons it is made from. Everything else that makes it scarce is a mutually agreed upon fiction.

I wasn't trying to defend Rlauzon, only explain how he was using the word scarce. For the most part, I do not agree with him.
I understood him and i disagreed with how he characterized the resource of a "book".
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #66
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

As a software developer I have a similar issue. To "develop" a product itself can take many man years plus all the training of everyone on the team including developers, testers, writers, product managers, etc. However, once it is complete and we have the deployable files it takes maybe $1 a CD to create the container for what was perhaps millions of $'s of R&D cost. Are you going to say that the software is "worth" $1 cause that's what it cost us to create the CD copy the customer gets?
This is the part of the equation that's changing, though. Currently, that's the way it works - people have to pay for a copy of everything in order to subsidize the massive up-front costs of the product. But the fact of the matter is that it's easy and free to copy certain products, and that's not going to change.

Someone earlier said that the free market didn't include things like The Pirate Bay - except, it does. If you set up an apple cart next to the guy with the "free apples" sign, you're not going to be doing a lot of business. It may not be fair, or even legal, but the invisible hand doesn't seem to care. Consumers know how to easily get free copies of books and music and software and movies. If you want to make money off of those things, you'd better find a way that doesn't involve selling copies.

To clarify, I'm not advocating piracy. But if you're planning a business that revolves around intellectual property in this day and age, you need to keep piracy in mind (and YouTube, MySpace sample tracks, fan fiction, Open Source, and all the other legal ways of distributing content for free.)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #67
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
If you set up an apple cart next to the guy with the "free apples" sign, you're not going to be doing a lot of business. It may not be fair, or even legal, but the invisible hand doesn't seem to care. Consumers know how to easily get free copies of books and music and software and movies. If you want to make money off of those things, you'd better find a way that doesn't involve selling copies.
Though I'm curious to see how that would change if the sign said "Stolen Apples".
Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #68
ginolee
ginolee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
on the price of digital content

I think, like stocks, people will be willing to pay what they think a piece of digital content is worth. If they think a particular item is overpriced, less people will buy it and over time the price will come down or the product will be discontinued.

With Amazon and Kindle, the ability to preview the first chapter or so of an ebook will help people to determine more accurately whether they are willing to pay for the rest of the ebook.

I think it shows an incredible naivete to assert repeatedly that digital content ebooks are each worth a dollar a piece because the cost to distribute is close to nil. This shows a profound ignorance of the work involved in producing the digital content as well as marketing it.

Gino.
ginolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #69
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm saying that to equate the price of a pBook to the price of an eBook is meaningless. The vast majority of the price of a pBook has to do with the physicalness of the pBook: the paper, the printing, the distribution, etc. None of those costs exist with an eBook.

The price of an eBook should cover the costs of creating the work, divided over the number of copies made. That price should be very small.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #70
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:

The price of an eBook should cover the costs of creating the work, divided over the number of copies made. That price should be very small.
What are these costs? What are the costs of creating a book by a bestselling author that makes tons of money vs the costs of creating a book by an obscure author that sells 400 hc's?? Books are not widgets, so there is no such a thing as the cost of creating a book.

The market is determining the price of an e-book and right now the discrepance between the offer and the bid is so huge that the commercial e-book market is just a drop in a bucket. Personally I just do not see the bid (the price people are willing to pay for e-books in general as a mass not few enthusiasts like us here) coming up, and the laughed at NYT futurist that estimated the price of e-books for large scale adoption to be 0$ may be quite right.

Personally I paid up to 15-20$ for select e-books (though only drm-free e-arcs from Baen or convertible lit books) and I wouldn't pay more than 1$ for a non-convertible drm book, but I just do not see large scale adoption of e-books at current prices
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #71
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
This is the part of the equation that's changing, though. Currently, that's the way it works - people have to pay for a copy of everything in order to subsidize the massive up-front costs of the product. But the fact of the matter is that it's easy and free to copy certain products, and that's not going to change.
I assume when you say "copy" you are talking about functionality and not implementation... such as Open Office which is free (as in Libre) vs MS Word which is not free.

Or, are you saying that since MS Word can be coppied easily it is ok to copy it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #72
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
You're not paying for the cost of production, any more than you are paying for the cost of the paper in a physical book. You are paying for all of the hours of hard work that the author put into producing the words.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #73
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginolee View Post
I think, like stocks, people will be willing to pay what they think a piece of digital content is worth. If they think a particular item is overpriced, less people will buy it and over time the price will come down or the product will be discontinued.
Gino.
Interesting analogy; if more people buy a particular stock the price rises (demand) whereas if more people buy a pbook, we'd expect the price to fall (economies of scale, retailer competition etc...) - I wonder which direction we'd expect the price of a poplar eBook to go in? And why would a low-selling (unpopular?) ebook be reduced in price, given the near-zero cost of storing and distributing digital content?

I agree, though, that books (e or p) are only 'worth' what people are willing to pay for them. Just to bring the music analogy back for a minute, Radiohead (a popular music group, m'lud...) recently released an album available as download only, and let people pay what they liked for it; the average turned out to be something like £2.90 (~ $6 USD) and the headlines in the press were of the 'most fans download album for free' variety. It' not as simple as that, though. Maybe people downloaded the album just to see if they could. Maybe they downloaded it and didn't pay because they were planning to buy the £40 ($80) boxed set anyway - or maybe it was a terrible album, and people just didn't want to pay for it?

Either way, 1.2 million downloads at $6 a pop is still a nice piece of change - and possibly more than the band would have earned had they released the CD through their record company. Here's the thing, though; musicians don't earn that much from 'content' sales - their main income comes from selling £75/ticket concerts and tours (and yes, I'm aware that I'm generalising). But if you write books, there's not much else you can do. Sure there are signings and readings, but I don't think they attract the same sort of crowds as a pop concert.

I've wondered for a while if we'd ever see CD and download sales almost as a 'loss leader' for concert ticket sales and in that same vein, if eBooks (or parts of) will be regarded as a loss leader for books. And maybe Amazon's 'first chapter free' approach with the Kindle is a step in that direction.

Sorry, this thread seems to have rambled off-topic a bit...

So, Kindle. Haven't seen one in the flesh (different continent) but from the pictures I have seen, and other people's responses to it, I like it. I think it'll do well. Even the look is growing on me - striking, perhaps, rather than atractive. As for the negative comments from the ebook 'old hands' (and please don't take this the wrong way - I mean no offense here) well, the more they complain about what it doesn't do for them, the more I think it's probably meant for me; it's a mass-market device, and I'm pretty sure my needs are more mass-market than most on this board. PDF support? Closed loop? Clunky browser? As long as it works, I don't care. Expensive? Don't buy it - it's only worth what people are prepared to pay for it.

My two-penneth. Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #74
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
What are these costs? What are the costs of creating a book by a bestselling author that makes tons of money vs the costs of creating a book by an obscure author that sells 400 hc's??
Hardcover sales are irrelevant in eBooks.

According to the people in the publishing industry who have spoken on this, the author gets about $0.70 per book. I figure that $2 of the price of a single book represents the costs in creating the content.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #75
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
And now this thread has been almost completely hijacked.

How about you guys start a new thread on this (because it is an interesting discussion) and let this one go back to brief "now that I've had mine a few days" reactions?
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote