Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #61
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
On one hand I love to read eBooks since I got my Kindle, because it's so convenient and I love the possibilities to have my books with me everywhere.

On the other hand, I am sometimes feeling reluctant to pay 10$ for an electronic book, if I can get the same paper book for 11$. Of course, what is important about the book is the content, still, if you buy a paper book, you can put it on the shelf, give it so somebody else to read, or sell it on after you have read it.

So although I never really do sell books after having read them (and in the very few cases where I did sell them did not get much more than maybe 2 $ for a used book, plus having the hassle of shipping etc.), it is still my feeling that Amazon is making much more money on me (not so much of it goes to the author I fear) when I buy an ebook instead of a pbook. Weird, isn't it?

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #62
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
if you buy a paper book, you can put it on the shelf, give it so somebody else to read, or sell it on after you have read it.
[...]
it is still my feeling that Amazon is making much more money on me [...] when I buy an ebook instead of a pbook. Weird, isn't it?
It's not weird, although I'd not say it's much more money. The shrinking of the re-sale market is a lamentable aspect of the rise of e-books. I've bought some real gems through abebooks. As the years go on, second-hand inventory will decrease. The downward pressure it exerts on new-book prices will also decrease.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #63
gurion
gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2o
I'm too reading only e-books nowadays. It was just 1 hardcover book from the library in the past 2+ years that I was interested to pick up.
gurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #64
Lsantiago7859
Enthusiast
Lsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Samsung 10.1 tablet, Nook HD+ and SONY PRS-T2
Talking I only have eyes for e-books

It has been 1 year since I got my Nook and more than a year since I bought a book. I have no intention of buying any physical books. I hope all books will be epub by the time I reach 80 (which is not too long LOL).
Lsantiago7859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #65
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm pretty much just reading e-books now. That said, I have to admit that I've got a couple series that I've still bought the hardcover for because I've already got the whole other series that way, and I'd kinda like the set to be complete. That said, I've also been looking at the bookshelves in my house pondering how much space I could reclaim if I started packing away or getting rid of the duplicates.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #66
CelestialSong
CelestialSong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I almost exclusively read e-books now. I'll still get the occasional physical book from the library but I far prefer e-books. In fact, pre-e-book era I wasn't much of a reader at all, and now that I have a Kindle I read much more often. I just find it so much easier and more convenient that it's really gotten me into reading much more than before.
CelestialSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #67
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
When I first got an eReader I made a conscious decision not to buy/ read paperbooks, as I felt that I needed to get the value out of my purchase. However over time I grew to naturally prefer ebooks over pbooks. I haven't read a physical book for about 18 months and I don't miss them.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #68
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hi,

I'm trying to commit to ebooks, I have a rule that if I need to buy a pbook (like a manual or a learn to book) that I have to give one of my pbooks away. I don't have the space! I still browse bookstores tho. They have ereaders in there, and you can try them out while you're there. Also, if there's an book that's there, that I'd like in ebook format, I can browse it there first.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #69
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
For me, the progression to preferring ebooks only occurred recently when I got a Sony PRS-350. Sony 505, nope. Kindle 3, nope. Don't know why, probably a mix of small size/weight, maybe touchscreen, maybe the overall feel of it including its size and TPU skin.

Still prefer pbooks for reference and technical books that I thumb around a lot and bookmark pages with yellow stickies.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #70
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Since getting my Kindle almost exactly a year ago, I've read ebooks almost exclusively except for cookbooks and non-fiction that is illustrated or heavily formatted. I did recently buy the 13th Dresden Files book in hardcover because I wanted it on my shelf - I've all the others in e-format. When it comes to basic text on a page, I have no desire to read paper.

But, I still love my p-book collection and have no intention of getting rid of any paper books.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #71
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Pbooks for non fiction mostly. Like cooking books in strange languages that are not available as ebooks. There is this new Scandinavian cooking that is in fashion, for good reasons, btw.
I like to read the printed version when I have to read fast, like when we were discussing the Master and Marguerite in one of the bookclubs and I was behind with the schedule. The printed version lets me jump ahead more easily to follow a particular thread. Temporarily. Creative reading

Cookbooks in eform are very handy in the kitchen. Either I keep them up on the ipad, or, better, I calibre them in rtf and put the recipes in Evernote, for easier reference. I even got a fancy book holder for the kitchen (that works marvels with the ipad also), with much myrth of the two primitive (in the sense of cooking) she persons that share my cooking, and enjoy it. You should see how they feed themselves when I am away on a trip.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #72
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
I read both ebooks and pb's. Why? Different circumstances. To work i'd take pb,due to conditions we have there really inappropriate for e-readers(engineering environment) . To the bath also (i wouldn't like kindle slipped out of my hand) When i read in bed or at the table or on the settee i prefer ebook. So i still troll for a used paperbacks in local charity shops and in general i do prefer to have an actual copy of anything i read on my kindle. But yes whenever it's possible i read in my kindle,it lighter has built in dictionary and can store some books for a future read
Sooo... If i had device which is virtually indestructible (like philips toughbook or olympus camera) i'd read in such device all the time without any fear to drop it or to harm it any other way but as for now i see that in many cases pb's a tougher than any of these e devices especially when it comes to children.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #73
ragwitch
Enthusiast
ragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beautyragwitch does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
I prefer pbooks for reference and mostly non-fiction stuff. For novels I'd go for electronic formats, epub specifically.
ragwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #74
Huey4prez
Huey4prez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3
If I read a great eBook than I'll buy the hardcopy to add to my collection too. I used to do the same for library books.
Huey4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #75
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
I only buy a pbook now if it's either not available as an ebook, or a used copy is less expensive than the ebook.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote