Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #61
KayCS
KayCS is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Touch, Coby Kyros 7016
There is a new firmware posted on Aluratek's website for the Libre Touch, I downloaded it and had it installed, I couldn't find any differences but noticed that the ADB (or was it ADM) widget is now changed to KOBO. Otherwise, I have no idea what else has been changed or fixed or updated.

Last edited by KayCS; 07-03-2011 at 02:17 PM.
KayCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #62
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
KayCS,

Is it still Android 1.5? I would like to buy one if they would go up to at least 2.0.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #63
reny
reny is on a distinguished road

Device: Libre Touch
I have done the Flash Update and as far as I can see, it is still Android 1.5 - in fact, under settings it shows the firmware version as 1.5. I assume that it means Android 1.5.
reny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #64
KayCS

Hi all,

Yes, it is still Android 1.5, a bit disappointing...

Fortunately, I have successfully installed two major reader applications, Aldiko and iReader, and both have been working flawlessly on the Libre|Touch.

Aldiko must be in version 1.2.6 and iReader must be 1.0.9.5, and here is the page that you can grab the iReader app from: http://code.google.com/p/ireader/downloads/list
Just click on the one that says "iReader Free 1.0.9.5 for Android 1.5", install it and you're set. For Aldiko, you can Google it up, or use this direct download link: http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...ader_1.2.6.apk

I have also found a few more games that work on this device, however, they are a bit slow. If you are interested, you can Google up "FingerBowling" and "Jewels Hunter", both are ads supported, so you will see them at the bottom. Jewels Hunter does not fill up the screen, but FingerBowling does.

Last, but not least, please, folks, do yourself a very VERY big favor, install Dolphin Browser, it is light years faster than the stock web browser, and a joy to use on the Libre|Touch. Here is the direct download link: http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...wser_3.1.1.apk

I haven't tried the latest Opera Mobile 11 browser yet, but I remember reading it does need at least Android 1.6. I will give it a try still, if it works, then great, if it doesn't, it won't break anything.

Happy 4th of July, and happy reading !
Old 07-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #65
KayCS

There is apparently a YouTube app that does install fine on the Libre|Touch, however, I wouldn't call it an "app", it is just a shortcut icon being added to the Applications drawer, once pressed, it just launches the web browser to go to the mobile version of the YouTube website. If you click on anything, on the site, videos still cannot play because there's no Flash support on the device.

If there's a way to wire up any video stream-links from the YouTube site so they play in the stock video player, then it may work, but I have no clue how its done or if its even possible.

Anyway, Happy Independence Day !
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #66
KayCS

Well, guess what, I found it !

Finally found a working YouTube app that works on the Libre Touch, not only does it work, it actually does it really smoothly, and the videos can play at full screen! What I did was just to Google up "Youtube app for Android 1.5", one of those search results led to an APK download somewhere on a blog.

If anyone is interested and don't want to take the hassle of hunting it down, let me know.

Last edited by KayCS; 07-06-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #67
KayCS

@dhighway, I was reading from the first post and down, and you were having issues with WiFi connections with hidden SSIDs. Well, there's an app called "hidden SSID enabler", it works on the Libre Touch, if you know your hidden SSID name, type it in and press the "Enable" button, then the wifi set up should pick it up. I haven't tried it so I am not sure if it is guaranteed to work, but its an option.

Another method you can try is that if you disable the hidden ID and have broadcast turned on from the router, then let your Libre Touch connect to it and do a little surfing with the browser to see if it works. The device should have the ID remembered, so go back to the router and disable broadcast and have it hidden again. The next time you turn on the Libre Touch, it will just connect to your router, even when its SSID is hidden.

Hope this helps... I am only assuming that you're still having trouble getting it connected.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #68
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCS View Post
There is a new firmware posted on Aluratek's website for the Libre Touch, I downloaded it and had it installed, I couldn't find any differences but noticed that the ADB (or was it ADM) widget is now changed to KOBO. Otherwise, I have no idea what else has been changed or fixed or updated.
Thanks for notice of the firmware update. Here the links:

http://aluratek.com/libre-touch-eboo...ouchscreen-lcd

Drivers / Manuals / QSGs / Firmware; choose the correct model number:
http://aluratek.com/cms/legacy/support-library.php
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #69
KayCS

Sometimes I found that the unit does not wake up from sleep when the power button is pressed. So here is what I did to make it work. Its quite simple, if there's a microSD card inserted, eject it. If there's none, insert one.

I found an app called "Wifi File Explorer", technically it allows you to make a connection from the Libre Touch to any networked computer, wirelessly. When the app runs, it opens up a port and you can use a web browser on a PC or a Mac, type in the IP of your Libre Touch with a port number provided by the app, and you can then browse and manage files on your Libre Touch right from your computer. You can also upload and download files wirelessly between the two, and thus eliminate the needs to transfer stuff by either using the USB cable or the microSD card.

Last edited by KayCS; 07-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #70
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
What version is the Kobo reader program on the Libre color touch? Can you use it to take notes & highlight passages?
Yeah, that. Has anyone tried?
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #71
LWG
LWG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Inexpensive case

Looks like Aluratek website now has leather case available for the 'Touch', but I had already ordered a $5.99 vinyl case from 123Inkcartridges.ca. It just arrived and fits great! The cover is a black textured material and looks just fine... price was right. It can also be set up as a stand on the landscape orientation. They have cheap stylus pens and microcards as well. If interested check out website for TAB-ACE-CASE-BULK.
LWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #72
reny
reny is on a distinguished road

Device: Libre Touch
I lust received my Aluratek deluxe leather case ($24.95 + shipping). It fits the unit very nicely and is very well made. On the right side of the case there are 2 plastic posts that fit into corresponding slots on the right side of the unit. There is one post that fits into the slot on the middle left side of the unit. These hold the unit securely in place. Sure makes it much easier to carry the unit. Holding it during reading is a little easier than before because it is easier to hold on to the leather case vs the unit itself. All in all, I am very well pleased with the case and would definitely recommend it for purchase.
reny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #73
cmata2
cmata2 began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Aluratek
youtube app

Yes I would like to know where the YOUTUBE APP for Libre aluratek is located
cmata2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #74
KayCS

I have the YouTube app up somewhere on the web, here is the link for those who needs it.

http://www.filesonic.com/file/2257523944/YouTube.apk

My Libretouch broke, so I won't be on this forum anymore, unless someone needs something that I happen to have (there are about 40 apps that I collected and tested running on the Libretouch).
Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #75
KayCS

Also, the link above may not last long, FYI.

Tags
aluratek libre touch, wifi aebk08fb