Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #61
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I have to backtrack on my weight thing. I recently read the game of thrones. This book is very large and weighs 14oz. I had no issues holding this one handed. So I guess the nooks weight is not really that bad. Just seems heavy in comparison to the others.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #62
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post

- The OP wants to use calibre anyway.
key point.

imo this negates the importance of epub compatibility, and enhances the appeal of the wireless connectivity of the K3.

but if the OP values one handed reading, i would recommend looking at the ipod touche. overall i prefer the K3 but one handed reading is much easier for me with the touche.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #63
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
Okay.. backtracking a bit here.
I just played with calibre. Very cool program. So basically it lets me convert any non drm book to kindle format correct? or visa versa?
However the question I have is does that hose up the formatting at all? Do epub books come across correctly? Or do the books have formatting errors and issues? Because that would open up all non DRMed epubs for a kindle plus kindle content.

Also is there a way to convert library books to kindle format AND keep the DRM intact?

It is the weight and battery life of the kindle that keeps drawing me to it. The nook really just has the epub thing that appeals. Oh and the creme background and page swipes
You can't convert books without removing the DRM. Full stop. But that being said, the removal of DRM is automatic and completely painless in Calibre. And the DRM issue is exactly the same for the Nook, since you can't buy Amazon books without removing the DRM from them.

The problem is DRM, not the device.

Choose the device you want based on the features that are important to you. (and your list of requirements sure makes it sound like that's going to be a Kindle.) Then install Calibre, add the plugins, and never look back. I use Library books all the time, and also buy from other ePub sources. But I do the same with Amazon books, frankly - I buy them and then remove the DRM. After all, who knows - my next eReader might be an ePub type.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #64
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would highly suggest buying and trying them both, then return the one you don't want

I've never looked at the Nook closely. For me it's a contest between Sony and Kindle. I LOVE Sony's Collection feature (the one on the Kindle is terrible), but I really prefer the weight/balance and size of the Kindle. I find it easier and more comfortable to hold, especially because the keyboard provides a good place for me to put my thumb.

But that's a personal preference that you can't gauge just reading through stats. You say the Nook is heavier, but despite that, you may find it more comfortable to hold.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #65
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If I recall the original poster already had purchased the K3 and the Nook Color and returned both. So experience with the k3 has occurred. It is the plain nook that is now in contention.

As has been said many times - there is no perfect reader, there is only the one you use till the next one comes along.

I went for the wifi k3. Price and friends recommendations. I purchase few books. I go for the freebies listed here for Amazon. But I also created a Barnes and Noble account and get those freebies, too and strip the drm and read on the k3. And I do borrow library books.

In the digital world many things are possible - some less perfect than others but sitll possible.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #66
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

So today during lunch I went to a best buy near me. They had the two side by side. Two things really stood out. First off is that even though the nook claims a 6" screen it is smaller than the kindles. The second thing and this is the thing that is gonna make me order a nook I think, is that the background on the nook is a really nice creme. I knew this already, but after seeing it next to the kindle with it's grey background the difference was really STARK. I found it easier to see the text against the creme where the kindles grey seemed to blend a tad with the text making it seem to have less contrast.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #67
maura
maura began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
I have to backtrack on my weight thing. I recently read the game of thrones. This book is very large and weighs 14oz. I had no issues holding this one handed. So I guess the nooks weight is not really that bad. Just seems heavy in comparison to the others.
Just FWIW, I ride a very crowded commuter train (I never get a seat and am often lucky to even be able to find a pole to hang on to) 40 minutes each way, every day, and can read my Nook one-handed with no trouble. I'm middle-aged and have mild arthritis in my hands, and I still don't find it even slightly heavy. I use the page-turn buttons rather than swiping to go to the next page when I'm on the train, though I like having the option of both.

Also FWIW, I keep my Nook in airplane mode almost all the time, and I usually go about three-four weeks between charges.

Honestly, I think the Kindle, Sony, Nook, and Kobo are all great devices and you can't really go wrong with any of them--especially when you keep in mind that they all still have some evolving to do, and whatever you buy, it's not going to be your e-reader for life.
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #68
Zarich
Zealot

I got to play with the 650 today at my local borders.. which ISN'T going out of business. VERY awesome. Way better than the 350 IMO. However, no way in heck would I spend $230 on that thing. Not when others are at or below 100 refurbished.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #69
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
I got to play with the 650 today at my local borders.. which ISN'T going out of business. VERY awesome. Way better than the 350 IMO. However, no way in heck would I spend $230 on that thing. Not when others are at or below 100 refurbished.
I feel ya! I love the Sony readers but they are expensive! I couldn't really justify the price to my husband. I could barely justify the price of the Nook. Sonys are like the Mercedes of ereaders.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #70
Sidekick
Sidekick began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
Guaranteed....

Those speaking highly of the kindle have NOT used a NookCOlor for any length of time...DUMPED the Kindle 3 and picked up my NookColor again. Feels better, sturdier, sharper screen, fast access to books and magazines. Seriously, try both for a week---it is an obvious choice. Don't just talk about your Kindle because that is what you own and you stepped into B&N and held a NC at the counter. Try it, and your Kindle will be on ebay as fast as you can put the listing together. Truth be told.
Sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #71
Zarich
Zealot

Had one.. returned it. Not good for me for reading.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #72
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Maura & Sidekick

Welcome to Mobileread .... So stay and join in - plenty of room .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #73
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekick View Post
Those speaking highly of the kindle have NOT used a NookCOlor for any length of time...DUMPED the Kindle 3 and picked up my NookColor again. Feels better, sturdier, sharper screen, fast access to books and magazines. Seriously, try both for a week---it is an obvious choice. Don't just talk about your Kindle because that is what you own and you stepped into B&N and held a NC at the counter. Try it, and your Kindle will be on ebay as fast as you can put the listing together. Truth be told.
There are folks on this board who have had a different experience. They have bought the Nook Color and ended up keeping their Kindle. Their are folks who kept both.

We can all talk about the pros and cons about each device, and they all have them. we can all talk about what we intuitively prefer about one over the other but in the end, it really is a subjective personal decision.

It is nice to see a conversation about the various e-readers where everyone has kept that in mind. This topic has avoided the my e-reader can beat up your e-reader vibe that the topic get. Its been fun reading it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #74
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekick View Post
Those speaking highly of the kindle have NOT used a NookCOlor for any length of time...
I say this in joking way, so don't take it too seriously...

Those claiming the Nook Color is the only way to go can't have been traveling for 4-5 days without access to electricity. Strangely enough that is what some of us do to RELAX, get out of the rat race. Part of that relaxation is to be able to read for several hours/day. If we're lucky even in sunny weather...

I'm just saying this to highlight that we all, as others have stated, have different priorities, and what is the best thing for YOU is not necessarily the best thing for ME!

Hopefully everyone can find something that works for THEM!

Last edited by Asawi; 03-27-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #75
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Way better than the 350 IMO.
The poor 350 is always maligned. It does have a sharper screen than the 650 at least, because of the higher DPI.

As for the Nook Color, it's pretty cool, but between that and any eink device, it's not the obvious choice. I still prefer my 350 for reading books.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote