Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #61
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kovid,

I don't think there's another piece of software I use on a daily basis that gets as much attention and updating as Calibre. Thanks for all that.

Here's a stupid question; Will the double-send via Gmail result in double-deliveries? I was actually happy using a separate Hotmail account, and I hadn't gotten the STMP AUTH error from Hotmail before. And that was on a .4 MB file...
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #62
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I don't know yet, what I will do for the next release is implement it optionally, controlled with an environment variable. Then you guys can test it for me and see if it helps. If it does, then I'll make it default for the release after next, if not, then we'll see...

Note that the double send will happen only if the first send resulted in an error and I'll probably put a wait of a few seconds in between sends.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #63
Amafan
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I don't know yet, what I will do for the next release is implement it optionally, controlled with an environment variable. Then you guys can test it for me and see if it helps. If it does, then I'll make it default for the release after next, if not, then we'll see...

Note that the double send will happen only if the first send resulted in an error and I'll probably put a wait of a few seconds in between sends.
Just as a reference, I see this with my CNN feed being emailed using my gmail account. File size is approx. 2.7Mb. I typically schedule download three feeds including CNN. The other two go through the auto email process fine show up seconds later on my K3, and the CNN feed doesn't. It typically works when I resend manually.

Thanks again for a great piece of software.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #64
Rod Laird
Rod Laird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
An encryption opt-out choice >pretty please< Kovid

Kovid,

Seems GMAIL is really making it hard for us. My ISP has no problem handling large attachments - but does not support any password encryption.

I realise there are very good reasons for enforcing encryption... But - at least for "consenting adults" - can you enable an opt out of this policy? With my ISP cable connection, the potential exposure this creates is no greater than I live with every day. If I was doing this from a mobile laptop over public networks I'd think twice perhaps. But with a "tethered" desktop I can really see little downside (relative to the rest of the mail I send every day; contents of which I separately encrypt where warranted).

So pweeeeese - a way for us to use our ISP's that don't have an option to use TLS...

cheers

Rod
Rod Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh, ok I'll add unencrypted, but since I have no unencrypted mail relays with which to test it, I have no idea if it will work.
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #66
Rod Laird
Rod Laird began at the beginning.

FANTASTIC!

All the news now mails flawlessly through my (non-password-secured) ISP.

Thank you Kovid.
Rod Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #67
iDavey
iDavey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It's now working fine again, using hotmail or gmail as the email sender.

Thanks Kovid, and thanks for such a great program!
iDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #68
Amafan
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3
Mine's good too. Thanks much.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #69
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #70
Dave Wadsley
Dave Wadsley began at the beginning.

Mine is working fine as well with gmail (and hotmail) as back up. Thanks very much for your speedy and helpful response. I have been singing Calibre's praises on Amazon boards and to anyone else who'll listen. It has really added to the usefulness of Kindle...I love it.
Dave Wadsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #71
Qylie
Qylie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I was using hosted gmail and it worked fine as of yesterday. This morning I went to send some ebooks to my kindle but they wouldn't go out. I setup a reg @gmail.com account and it seams that I can queue 1 at a time and get them to send. It takes about 8 minutes per file which is unusual. All my files are really small less then 3mb's. To get the @gmail.com account to work i had to setup the same settings 4 times. Odd :-)
Qylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #72
HaoleKai
Enthusiast
HaoleKai began at the beginning.

Interesting that everyone has this working now. I've just now tried setting it up and I get failure after failure. I attempted it first with my gmail account - no go. Then I tried my rr.com account. Same failure. Then I tried a yahoo account. Nope, so I set up a hotmail (live.com) account and still doesn't work.

Here's what I see when I try to test the accounts:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 111, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Log:
Find mail exchanger for free.kindle.com
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 77, in sendmail_direct
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 704, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 528, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 401, in ehlo
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 358, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

Here's a real attempt to auto-mail a feed:
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email Dilbert to myrealaccountname@free.kindle.com

Email Dilbert to myrealaccountname@free.kindle.com

Sending failed...
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 170, in sendmail
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/email.py", line 170, in sendmail

The above is exactly the same whether I'm using a gmail, live.com, yahoo, or rr.com address.
I can send to free.kindle.com from these email accounts, but trying to do so through calibre is failing.
Any ideas?
HaoleKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:09 AM   #73
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

those error messages indicate you aren't actually using a gmail/hotmail/whatever account but instead sending email directly. Are you clicking apply after changing the settings?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #74
HaoleKai
Enthusiast
HaoleKai began at the beginning.

Yes, and I've even closed Calibre and come back in. I just repeated that to verify and I'm still seeing the same error.

Arrgh. Ok, the way you wrote question told me to check something.
I was entering my email address in the field that says: 'Send email from', and that's all I was doing. I opened the 'Use gmail' dialog box once but looking at it quickly, it looked like it was a way to sign up for a new gmail account, and nothing I had to do to enable this feature. When you mentioned that it looked like I wasn't actually using an account, I looked again.

I've set it up, tested it and it works fine. Thank you!

P.S.
It's still confusing to anyone who doesn't already know what to do. So, what is the 'Send email from' field for then?

Did I say Thank you! ;-)
HaoleKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:54 AM   #75
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleKai View Post
So, what is the 'Send email from' field for then?
I just put my name in that area.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote