Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-31-2023, 10:56 PM   #61
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
That's good -- I must've missed the conversation earlier in the thread
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:21 PM   #62
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also missed the link change is already in source. (I blame the food poisoning I got earlier this week ) i just tested it with a few series and it works as I expect -- clicking on the the the item opens the Calibre search, and on the icon opens the external link.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-31-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Advert
Old 03-31-2023, 11:49 PM   #63
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nice, I thought this was a peculiarly Indian thing. We tend to use it for everything. From diaper rashes to bed sores.
I can confirm it is not just an Indian thing. It is widely used in the Philippines as well.

Hope the pain of the burn has passed or will soon.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:06 AM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Hope the pain of the burn has passed or will soon.
Yeah its fine now just a scar, thanks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:07 AM   #65
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Glad youre feeling better
Advert
Old 04-01-2023, 12:11 AM   #66
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Thought: Currently, Single-book MDE has the 'Manage authors' button. Would it make sense to also have 'Manage' buttons (alternately, put it in right-click menu) for other normalized fields to make it easier to add the links without closing the dialog first? For tag-likes, jump to the first item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It'll be interesting to see how much the linking feature gets used, I suspect the 'Attach a note' feature will get more usage.
Since FanFicFare already inserts collected author URLs into the table, I suggested it does the same for series URLs.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-01-2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:28 AM   #67
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
My understanding is calibre:\\book-details links to books in the same library would need to be in a long text column - viz:
Nope. You can have links to details in the current library. The easiest way is to use the '_' character as the library name. Using the full library name will work too.

EDIT: If you mean back-links then yes, you are right.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:42 AM   #68
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Nope. You can have links to details in the current library. The easiest way is to use the '_' character as the library name. Using the full library name will work too.

If I want to link Book 30 in my Books library to Book 159 in the same library via a book-detail, and/or a show-book and/or a view-book link, where would I put the calibre://<xxxx-xxxxx>/Books/159 URL(s) other than in a long text column - which could be Comments of course.

it would be quite useful to have a Copy All links option in the BD context menu, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-01 203339.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	200719

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:48 AM   #69
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I can confirm it is not just an Indian thing. It is widely used in the Philippines as well.
I suspect it's a Global South 'thing' - the Atlanteans prefer Castor Oil
Old 04-01-2023, 05:48 AM   #70
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I want to link Book 30 in my Books library to Book 159 in the same library via a book-detail, and/or a show-book and/or a view-book link, where would I put the calibre://<xxxx-xxxxx>/Books/159 URL(s) other than in a long text column - which could be Comments of course.
You can put one of them in the links field. If you want more than one link then yes, you must put them somewhere else.
Quote:
it would be quite useful to have a Copy All links option in the BD context menu, viz:

Attachment 200719

BR
Note: they would need to be a triple: category key, category, link, as in
Code:
tags|foo|some-link
authors|John Smith|some-link
I don't know what the separator should be. It can't be comma.

What would you do with these?
Old 04-01-2023, 06:08 AM   #71
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@chaley - I'm referring to direct links between books - e.g. Between Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' and Huxley's ‘Brave New World'.

i.e. the Book Details context menu, not the column context menus

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-01-2023 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:19 AM   #72
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@chaley - I'm referring to direct links between books - e.g. Between Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' and Huxley's ‘Brave New World'.

i.e. the Book Details context menu, not the column context menus

BR
Perhaps I am being dense but I don't understand. Which of my comments is this answering?

If this is referring to the Copy All Links idea, where do the links come from? What is the destination of the copy? What do you do with the copied links?
Old 04-01-2023, 07:50 AM   #73
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
My understanding is calibre:\\book-details links to books in the same library would need to be in a long text column - viz:

BR
Quote:

Quote:

BR
Quote:
You can put one of them in the links field. If you want more than one link then yes, you must put them somewhere else.

Note: they would need to be a triple: category key, category, link, as in
Code:
tags|foo|some-link
authors|John Smith|some-link
I don't know what the separator should be. It can't be comma.

What would you do with these?
Quote:
@chaley - I'm referring to direct links between books, nothing to do with Link fields in Category columns - e.g. Between Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' and Huxley's ‘Brave New World'.
Something like this

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-01 222312.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	200720

I already use different colours for different link types.

Copy all links: I would paste the copied links into a sticky note, from which I can easily cherry-pick copy and paste, something like this:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-01 223603.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	200721

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-01-2023 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:09 AM   #74
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Copy all links: I would paste the copied links into a sticky note, from which I can easily copy and paste, something like this:
BR
What I understand is that "Copy all links" would copy all the links shown on the context menu below the separator. These are all links to the current book. It doesn't copy any links associated with category items attached to the book.

You would use this feature to avoid multiple copy operations to get the links. (?)

You would be expected to know what the links do. There is no explanatory text? Just:
Quote:
link text
link text
link text
and not:
Quote:
Link to show book in calibre: link text
Link to show book details in a popup window: link text
Link to view FORMAT format of book: link text
Old 04-01-2023, 08:32 AM   #75
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

For example, this menu operation:

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	200722

produces this (I added the explanatory text):
Code:
Link to show book in calibre: calibre://show-book/_hex_-4c6962726172792e746573745f736d616c6c/1343
Link to show book details in a popup window: calibre://book-details/_hex_-4c6962726172792e746573745f736d616c6c/1343
Link to view EPUB format of book: calibre://view-book/_hex_-4c6962726172792e746573745f736d616c6c/1343/EPUB
Link to view MOBI format of book: calibre://view-book/_hex_-4c6962726172792e746573745f736d616c6c/1343/MOBI
Link to view PRC format of book: calibre://view-book/_hex_-4c6962726172792e746573745f736d616c6c/1343/PRC
Right?