Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #61
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammadeusy View Post
sorry for the simple question, i searched in the forums but could not find anything about "emergency". my kindle pw3 was updated without me noticing to 5.13.1 (or something like that) and i lost the jb. maybe there is a way to bricking-risky bring it back? what do you mean by "run emergency"?

thank you
Probably refers to the JB hotfix? I vaguely remember needing to run it after an OTA update once, you can get it from this thread. If that doesn't work, just do the serial jailbreak.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:46 PM   #62
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammadeusy View Post
sorry for the simple question, i searched in the forums but could not find anything about "emergency". my kindle pw3 was updated without me noticing to 5.13.1 (or something like that) and i lost the jb. maybe there is a way to bricking-risky bring it back? what do you mean by "run emergency"?

thank you
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=26
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2022, 03:38 AM   #63
gudvinr
gudvinr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone knows domains used by Kindle to ring home and get OTA updates? I want to block them inside home network just in case.
gudvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:33 AM   #64
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
I believe firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:50 AM   #65
avin
avin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
I wanted to know if this KUAL extension works and is safe to use: #25

I am on fw 5.14.1.1 and I can see these two files in the /usr/bin:

Quote:
otaupd
otav3
avin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2022, 04:52 AM   #66
avin
avin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
I believe firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com
I noticed there is a hosts file in Kindle too, adding this URL there should do the trick?
avin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:21 AM   #67
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
Definitely, and probably the preferred location or you might update accidentally when away from your home wifi network.
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:43 AM   #68
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Just a KUAL extension for ota binaries rename/restore.
Reboots automatically, no need to kill the processes manually.
I've been sighnposted to this file - it looks great, I just wanted to check—I'm running a jail-broken KT4 5.13.6. Will the update blocker work on that firmware?

If so, is this the latest version of the blocker? Many thanks.
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #69
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie W View Post
I've been sighnposted to this file - it looks great, I just wanted to check—I'm running a jail-broken KT4 5.13.6. Will the update blocker work on that firmware?

If so, is this the latest version of the blocker? Many thanks.
I also have a KT4 that came with 5.13.6 which I used the Watch This JB with. I have since side load updated to 5.14.2 and installed KUAL and several extensions, including this one. I used its rename function and as I also have USB Networking installed I confirmed via SSH that the binaries in fact were renamed.

I just connected to WiFi for the first time a few minutes ago and registered the KT4 on my account. My firmware has remained at 5.14.2 thus far, so it appears to be functional.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #70
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I also have a KT4 that came with 5.13.6 which I used the Watch This JB with. I have since side load updated to 5.14.2 and installed KUAL and several extensions, including this one. I used its rename function and as I also have USB Networking installed I confirmed via SSH that the binaries in fact were renamed.

I just connected to WiFi for the first time a few minutes ago and registered the KT4 on my account. My firmware has remained at 5.14.2 thus far, so it appears to be functional.

Dave
PW5 with 5.14.2 here, Shipped with 5.14.0.1, updated manually to 5.14.1, and renamed the binaries. Then I manually updated to 5.14.2 since I wanted to check out the new home screen + get native book cover working. Still on 5.14.2 almost a month later constantly connected to WiFi.

EDIT: It also works on my PW2 on 5.12.2.1.1 (manually downgraded for the easier jailbreak), all in all it should work for anything above 5.12+ until Amazon changes their ways again.

Last edited by hanakomisa; 08-30-2022 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Adding info for PW2.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:31 PM   #71
eraser1320
eraser1320 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a PW5 with 5.14.2, fully jailbroken and working great with KUAL. With KUAL's Helper+ menu I have selected PREVENT OTA Updates, which puts the update.bin.tmp.partial folder in the root.

Will this actually black OTA updates, or should I install this plugin also?
eraser1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #72
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser1320 View Post
I have a PW5 with 5.14.2, fully jailbroken and working great with KUAL. With KUAL's Helper+ menu I have selected PREVENT OTA Updates, which puts the update.bin.tmp.partial folder in the root.

Will this actually black OTA updates, or should I install this plugin also?
update.bin.tmp.partial does not work for firmware greater or equal to 5.11 or so.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:39 PM   #73
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Does anyone know how well this is working on releases after 5.14.2? I'm on 5.14.3.0.1 and just used the renameotabin KUAL extension but I'm still on airplane mode because I'm not sure. I saw some people talking about updating to 5.14.3 and the jailbreak surviving in the WatchThis thread but nothing on whether this still working.
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:13 AM   #74
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
Does anyone know how well this is working on releases after 5.14.2? I'm on 5.14.3.0.1 and just used the renameotabin KUAL extension but I'm still on airplane mode because I'm not sure. I saw some people talking about updating to 5.14.3 and the jailbreak surviving in the WatchThis thread but nothing on whether this still working.
There's no reason to think that the renameotabin method wouldn't continue to work on 5.14.3.0.1, you'll probably be OK.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:11 AM   #75
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
There's no reason to think that the renameotabin method wouldn't continue to work on 5.14.3.0.1, you'll probably be OK.
PW survives FW update 5.15.1. Just tried on a 9th Generation Oasis w/ @katadelos's WatchThis method.

As to bypassing ota binaries, it works as well. The most recent FW 5.13.6 is dated April 2021 and my KV is still on FW 5.13.5. Not that it matters for we have got WatchThis for any device running a FW version <= to 5.14.2.

Do it
manually
or by renametobin KUAL extension.

Last edited by oumlaut; 11-20-2022 at 09:35 AM.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
renameotabin, update blocker