Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Unless some super deals show up on some electronics I don't necessarily need, an Echo Flex seems to be about the only thing I really need.

ETA: air fryer

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-03-2020 at 03:22 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Target Kicks Off Holiday Savings Early with Largest-Ever Deal Days

Besides Target, look for other stores to offer their own version of Prime Day during this period.

Quote:
Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) today announced the return of Target Deal Days on Oct. 13 and 14, kicking off a holiday season that will feature nearly 1 million more deals than last year, Black Friday pricing all November long and an extended Price Match Guarantee.

“This year, in a holiday season unlike any other, we know it’s more important than ever for our guests to get great deals in a convenient and safe shopping environment,” said Christina Hennington, executive vice president and chief merchandising officer, Target. “By kicking off our holiday deals earlier than ever, offering Black Friday pricing throughout the full month of November and extending our Price Match Guarantee, we’re letting guests know they don’t need to wait or face the crowds to get the best deals, all with no membership fees required.”
Quote:
Target Deal Days

On Oct. 13 and 14, Target Deal Days will feature digital deals on hundreds of thousands of items, more than double last year. Guests can sign up for the free, easy-to-use Target Circle loyalty program to access all the best deals, and for the first time, all deals will span the entire two-day event, giving guests more time to shop deep discounts across Electronics, Home, Essentials, Toys, Beauty and more.

Nearly all deals are available via Target’s contactless Drive Up and Order Pickup, and more deals than ever can be received via same-day delivery with Shipt. This means guests can get their orders in as soon as one hour, with no membership fee required. Additionally, select deals will be made available early on Target.com starting Oct. 5.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #63
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
My wish list this year includes:
  • new 10" andorid tablet for my mother
  • external harddrive
  • new AT&T android phones for the parents (if there's anything this year)

I'll probably pick up some more USB drives if there's a great deal there as well.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #64
GA Russell
Bombers, Elks now 0-3
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Speaking of Kindles, does anyone think that a lot of memory is important to have?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #65
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
define "a lot of memory".

As long as you don't care about using your kindle for audiobooks or graphic novels, even 2 GB is plenty, which means I believe everything other than the first gen kindle. I mean, the full Harvard Classics and bookshelf of fiction is something like 50 MB in azw3 format. Which is 70 volumes, each of about 400-450 pages
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #66
GA Russell
Bombers, Elks now 0-3
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
define "a lot of memory".
32 gig are now offered.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #67
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mean, the 4 GB officially offered by the basic kindle is probably fine for most (Though at one point people were randomly getting basic kindles with 8 GB).

Honestly, my phone probably does a better job at audiobooks and graphic novels than my kindle, so...

EDIT: Apparently the specs (but not all the images) on the page for the basic kindle now say 8 GB... so...

Last edited by binaryhermit; 10-02-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #68
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Speaking of Kindles, does anyone think that a lot of memory is important to have?
If you are the kind of person who has a lot of books (2000 or more) and you want them all downloaded on the Kindle at all times, or if you are most comfortable reading with a larger font, then the 32 gb Oasis is the way to go. Otherwise, unless $ is no object, a Paperwhite will do.

Just my humble opinion.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:00 PM   #69
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

What does a larger font have to do with storage.

(I understand your point regarding screen size and font size)
Old 10-02-2020, 11:02 PM   #70
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
If you are the kind of person who has a lot of books (2000 or more) and you want them all downloaded on the Kindle at all times, or if you are most comfortable reading with a larger font, then the 32 gb Oasis is the way to go. Otherwise, unless $ is no object, a Paperwhite will do.

Just my humble opinion.
Just for comparison, since the memory size is the same, my "8GB" Kobo Libra has 6.73GB of usable space. The 400 books I have on it are taking up 0.5GB. My Calibre library is 2.5GB with 1200 books in it that are not currently on my reader, and much of that is in stupidly large hi-res cover images. Realistically, there's room for 4000-5000 ebooks on an 8GB ereader. Audiobooks and comics would definitely make a difference, they take up much more room than ebooks and would make the 32GB a better option possibly.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #71
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
What does a larger font have to do with storage.

(I understand your point regarding screen size and font size)
Nothing - either storage or font size could be a consideration.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:28 AM   #72
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nothing - either storage or font size could be a consideration.
But for most people who either don't have a massive library or don't need it with them at all times, the 8 GB Oasis, which is a thing that exists, is fine.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:41 AM   #73
Plumadona
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Just for comparison, since the memory size is the same, my "8GB" Kobo Libra has 6.73GB of usable space. The 400 books I have on it are taking up 0.5GB. My Calibre library is 2.5GB with 1200 books in it that are not currently on my reader, and much of that is in stupidly large hi-res cover images. Realistically, there's room for 4000-5000 ebooks on an 8GB ereader. Audiobooks and comics would definitely make a difference, they take up much more room than ebooks and would make the 32GB a better option possibly.
I have more than 1900 books on my Oasis, including a significant number of Delphi Complete or Collected Classics, each of which contain a great number of books. I am often in an area with spotty internet access, so I prefer to have my complete library with me at all times. Right now, I have used up more than 8gb on my Oasis. I have many history books containing maps, figures, and pictures as well as many biographies and books on film which also contain photos and other illustrations. The Delphi books also contain photos and illustrations. I have no comic books and I don’t use Audible. In short, the number of books is not the sole indication of how much storage is used or needed.

Over the years, I’ve seen many conversations on these forums re: why must you have everything downloaded on your Kindle. Some find it useful, others don’t see a need. It’s a simply a matter of personal preference and the nature of the books owned.

As I said before, the Oasis is useful if one has a very large collection or finds large print easier to read (the extra space makes a noticeable difference compared to the Paperwhite my husband uses). If there is no need for large print, a Kindle Paperwhite is fine. To each her/his own.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:44 AM   #74
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
As I said before, the Oasis is useful if one has a very large collection or finds large print easier to read (the extra space makes a noticeable difference compared to the Paperwhite my husband uses). If there is no need for large print, a Kindle Paperwhite is fine. To each her/his own.

What connections is there between the size of the print and memory storage? I gave my octogenarian Dad my old PW3 and he read happily with the font size at close to maximum.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:20 AM   #75
GA Russell
Bombers, Elks now 0-3

Thank you to all for this interesting discussion!