Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #61
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingCrown View Post
QQ, how many shelves is everyone's Aldiko showing? Mine shows 5 1/2 shelves and my covers are all really small. Is that normal? Rooted NC btw.

~ Brian
That's normal. The covers are not big like the stock library, but they are legible. You can easily see the details of the cover.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #62
VikingCrown
VikingCrown began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 3
Interesting, because i had sent in a question on the Aldiko site and they have a Galaxy Tab that is showing only 2 1/2 shelves and the covers are large. Guess its a Rooted NC issue. Hopefully they can adjust it. I'd rather have fewer shelves maybe 3 1/2 and larger covers. Or better yet make it a user defined preference.
VikingCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #63
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting, because i had sent in a question on the Aldiko site and they have a Galaxy Tab that is showing only 2 1/2 shelves and the covers are large. Guess its a Rooted NC issue. Hopefully they can adjust it. I'd rather have fewer shelves maybe 3 1/2 and larger covers. Or better yet make it a user defined preference.
Did you inform them that you have a rooted NOOKcolor? Perhaps they can "fix" it in a future update. I'm sure there's something they can do. Pulse News Reader used to be tiny on tablets; their latest update displays much bigger on tablets.

Last edited by SCION; 02-04-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #64
SCION
Séduisant

I asked for confirmation about this from Galaxy Tab owners.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...33#post1377533
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #65
VikingCrown

I did inform them I was running a rooted NC, so hopefully we can get this in a new update. I do like the shelf view better than the stock library, of course I don't have a ton of titles either.
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #66
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
The Galaxy tab is set to 240 dpi and the NC is set by default to 169.3333 (odd, eh). Many users have changed the dpi to 200 or 220; but the downside is that the b&n software doesn't scale very well. Other software (Aldiko) scales fine. The higher dpi makes everything "bigger"; and the B&N menu bars already fill the screen, so making them bigger will cause them to run off the sides of the screen.

You may want to experiment with the LCD density apps available in the Market; but if you want a permanent change, look into modifying the build.prop file (it is really pretty easy).

I have experimented with different dpi; and when using the B&N reader I have determined that the 169.3333 is a "sweet spot" for the LCD screen used in the reader. A dpi like 200 or 220 causes some fuzziness with smaller fonts. I think that if you go all the way to 240 like the tab, and use a larger font, you wouldn't have a problem, but I like smaller fonts; and the the B&N people did appear to have calculated the sharpest dpi for the resolution of the NC screen.

Last edited by jasoraso; 02-04-2011 at 12:28 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #67
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
The Galaxy tab is set to 240 dpi and the NC is set by default to 169.3333 (odd, eh). Many users have changed the dpi to 200 or 220; but the downside is that the b&n software doesn't scale very well. Other software (Aldiko) scales fine. The higher dpi makes everything "bigger"; and the B&N menu bars already fill the screen, so making them bigger will cause them to run off the sides of the screen.

You may want to experiment with the LCD density apps available in the Market; but if you want a permanent change, look into modifying the build.prop file (it is really pretty easy).

I have experimented with different dpi; and when using the B&N reader I have determined that the 169.3333 is a "sweet spot" for the LCD screen used in the reader. A dpi like 200 or 220 causes some fuzziness with smaller fonts. I think that if you go all the way to 240 like the tab, and use a larger font, you wouldn't have a problem, but I like smaller fonts; and the the B&N people did appear to have calculated the sharpest dpi for the resolution of the NC screen.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #68
hama
hama began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hi hama,

I can check on my GT tonight. You can also use ThinkFreeOffice. It came installed and free on mine.
Hi thank you
I also have TFO free on mine too, but if I try to get the book in pdf format in TFO I need a password ??? I think it´s because it is one free books with DRM.

When I try the free books with DRM but in epub format - no problem
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #69
hama
hama began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtruong View Post
I am using Galaxy Tab too. You can use pinch gesture to zoom-in and zoom-out when reading PDF files.
Hi thank you.
yes, I know, but when you go to next page, you have to do this again.

if it´s a document it´s ok - but with a whole book , I have no patience
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #70
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hama View Post
Hi thank you
I also have TFO free on mine too, but if I try to get the book in pdf format in TFO I need a password ??? I think it´s because it is one free books with DRM.

When I try the free books with DRM but in epub format - no problem
Hmmm, I'm not following you or I need more coffee today, lol ...

I can read my PDFs on TFO. It is not asking for any password. Now, I am not sure if my PDF books have DRM or not, but I can certainly read them without problems.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #71
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Using LCD Density Changer I went with a setting of 200. You're right about the stock reader/library being best viewed at the default setting. I don't go there much, so I'm willing to sacrifice that. Also, I prefer big fonts. Changing the LCD Density is not a perfect solution because sometimes you're left with icons that have no text beneath them and the stock menu at the bottom is cut off. There's enough on both sides of it for me to tap what I need.

Again, thanks for the explanation and advice.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #72
VikingCrown

Hopefully the makers of Aldiko will see this and maybe they have a more elegant solution. If not I guess to get it to work the sacrifice of menu's being a little odd will have to do.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #73
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Hopefully the makers of Aldiko will see this and maybe they have a more elegant solution. If not I guess to get it to work the sacrifice of menu's being a little odd will have to do.
I don't know if you want to change the LCD density simply for bigger book covers in Aldiko. The images aren't as crisp as the normal size ones. And this is with four shelves, each with four books. It does not resemble what's on the Aldiko website. If you're going for the Galaxy Tab look you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by SCION; 02-04-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #74
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I don't know if you want to change the LCD density simply for bigger book covers in Aldiko. The images aren't as crisp as the normal size ones. And this is with four shelves, each with four books. It does not resemble what's on the Aldiko website. If you're going for the Galaxy Tab look you'll be disappointed.
I misspoke. After changing my density I uninstalled and re-installed the app. The bookshelf displays 3.5 shelves and the book covers are re-sized. The images are crisp now and resemble what's on the Aldiko website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-02-04-2.png
Views:	289
Size:	579.9 KB
ID:	66087  
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #75
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I misspoke. After changing my density I uninstalled and re-installed the app. The bookshelf displays 3.5 shelves and the book covers are re-sized. The images are crisp now and resemble what's on the Aldiko website.
You're a Stephen King's fan, hahaha... I really enjoyed "Sometimes they Come Back" , the movie and "Dead Zone"
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote