Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 01:51 AM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You could install either the Linux or Windows version of Calibre inside a virtual machine on your Chomebook:

For Linux: Crostini Project still in beta I think): https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/tag/project-crostini/
For Windows: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-chromeos
Well, heck, I might actually look at a Chromebook then. But I wonder how well it would run Linux ... I might have to get my brother to "volunteer" his Chromebook for testing.

(Although it's pretty hard to pry that thing from him. He's using it all the time.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #62
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm sure there has been some discussion in the calibre sub forum on this and I believe that it doesn't work; Chrome OS does not make available all the apis required for calibre.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tried calibre on a Chromebook/Linux and ran into the same issues mentioned in the calibre forum -- the sysfs file system is not setup to allow USB passthrough support for the crostini VM. There are comments on chromium.org, see Enable USB emulation in crosvm and hopefully, there will be a fix some time soon.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm sure there has been some discussion in the calibre sub forum on this and I believe that it doesn't work; Chrome OS does not make available all the apis required for calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tried calibre on a Chromebook/Linux and ran into the same issues mentioned in the calibre forum -- the sysfs file system is not setup to allow USB passthrough support for the crostini VM. There are comments on chromium.org, see Enable USB emulation in crosvm and hopefully, there will be a fix some time soon.
Well that's the end of that then. (At least for now.) So "Containers" on a Chromebook are just VMs? That means that a limited Chromebook would probably run Linux at a snail's pace anyhow.

Thanks for the information.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #65
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
If I ever get a KOBO with 32GB of storage or greater i will switch to KOBO. i will just side load all my kindle books.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #66
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
If I ever get a KOBO with 32GB of storage or greater i will switch to KOBO. i will just side load all my kindle books.
It's surprisingly easy to upgrade internal storage on select Kobo models. The Glo HD, I installed a spare 64GB microSD that I used to use with my Android tablet.

Plenty of deals on flash-based storage recently (~30-40% off compared to just a few months ago). If I were to do the upgrade now, I would've gone for 128GB. Alas, too lazy to open it up again. 64GB is comfortable enough.

Of course, the Aura One Limited Ed already has 32GB built-in and is water resistant to boot.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-29-2018 at 01:52 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #67
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
If you have a lot of side-loaded books, you'll love Kobo. Indexing is bug-free (unlike Kindle) and almost instantaneous. I recently transferred a large collection to both Kobo's Aura One and Kindle's Oasis 2. The KA1 took about 15 minutes to complete; the KO2 took several days, including *numerous* reloads from books "stuck" in a failed indexing loop.

It was a breeze on Kobo, a nightmare on Kindle.

THEN there's there's the organization issue. Kobo allows Calibre to manage collections automatically from Calibre without jailbreaking. Kindle doesn't.

IMHO, there's no comparison.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #68
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's surprisingly easy to upgrade internal storage on select Kobo models. The Glo HD, I installed a spare 64GB microSD that I used to use with my Android tablet.

Plenty of deals on flash-based storage recently (~30-40% off compared to just a few months ago). If I were to do the upgrade now, I would've gone for 128GB. Alas, too lazy to open it up again. 64GB is comfortable enough.

Of course, the Aura One Limited Ed already has 32GB built-in and is water resistant to boot.

MY Aura Edition 2 from Walmart has no SD slot
Old 09-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #69
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
If you have a lot of side-loaded books, you'll love Kobo. Indexing is bug-free (unlike Kindle) and almost instantaneous. I recently transferred a large collection to both Kobo's Aura One and Kindle's Oasis 2. The KA1 took about 15 minutes to complete; the KO2 took several days, including *numerous* reloads from books "stuck" in a failed indexing loop.

It was a breeze on Kobo, a nightmare on Kindle.

THEN there's there's the organization issue. Kobo allows Calibre to manage collections automatically from Calibre without jailbreaking. Kindle doesn't.

IMHO, there's no comparison.

I noticed its easier. Kindle and the indexing is making me mad. Even if I just buy 2 books it gets stuck indexing
Old 09-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #70
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
MY Aura Edition 2 from Walmart has no SD slot
It should have an internal one which holds both operating system/firmware and your books.

https://ibb.co/n75imQ

The Glo HD didn't have an external SD slot either but it was surprisingly easy to open it up and replace the internal 4GB (or was it 2GB?) card with a 64GB one.

Here are the instructions I followed:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2462847

The guide would likely work for all, non-waterproof Kobo models with internal SD card released thus far.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #71
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
I am a long time Kindle user and current do not have any plans to switch but it is nice to have options.

My question is this. I have used Calibre and I have ePub versions of all my books. I assume those could be side loaded onto a Kobo. Has anyone done this and had any problems such as formatting changes, errors etc?
After countless aeons in the Amazon, I made the switch today, giving my Dad my Paperwhite and loading up my new Clara HD from Calibre. Smooth and hassle free. Love it! v
Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #72
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
After countless aeons in the Amazon, I made the switch today, giving my Dad my Paperwhite and loading up my new Clara HD from Calibre. Smooth and hassle free. Love it! v

Congrats on your new Clara HD! Glad to hear the transition was hassle free. I hope you enjoy many hours of reading on your new piece of magic
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote