Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #61
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I'm in the Wouldn't-Know-How-To-Find-The-"Darknet"-Even-With-A-Map crowd. (Maybe it's just me. )
Go to google, type in the name of the book or author, and include the word 'torrent' in your search. That's all it takes...
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #62
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I've never seriously considered going to the darknet.

Though I have to admit that the publishers who price an e-book higher than the paperback version of the book are just insulting. I'm not stupid, and I don't appreciate being discriminated against, particularly when I know that once you've made the electronic file to print the paper books the e-book file is basically gratis.

So far I just haven't gotten the book, though. Maybe I'll remember to come back later and see if the price has dropped. But there are an awful lot of e-books including an awful lot of free ones, and maybe I just can't be bothered and the publisher has lost a sale.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #63
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
Go to google, type in the name of the book or author, and include the word 'torrent' in your search. That's all it takes...
Never managed to download a torrent... But that's probably just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Though I have to admit that the publishers who price an e-book higher than the paperback version of the book are just insulting. I'm not stupid, and I don't appreciate being discriminated against, particularly when I know that once you've made the electronic file to print the paper books the e-book file is basically gratis.
I wouldn't download a book that's still under copyright because the price is too high. The only reason to download one is because I can't get it any other way. Most often due to publishers refusing to sell it to me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #64
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
There are so many books I already own the paperback/hardcover (or both) but that I don't read anymore, even though I'd love to. Right now, I can't even reach them (and I expect that condition to last for a few years longer), and even if I could, I'm starting to dislike reading paperbooks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
interesting, me too !
I concur, for reading. One thing is that they are so dirty, especially old ones.
for a quick look up though, they are still winners. This point came up recently.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #65
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I concur, for reading. One thing is that they are so dirty, especially old ones.
for a quick look up though, they are still winners. This point came up recently.
Oh, I won't do away with them! Not that I'm reading them, but they're great for gathering dust!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #66
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
The way the bigger publishers are behaving, it's almost as though they want to kill the industry !.
Luckily for me, I use this as an excuse to seek out the smaller publishers who aren't so eager to trap me into a device or DRM or GR (Geographic Restriction).
I've never been that interested in the newer must-have best sellers, so I find the books I'm turning to are more likely to be available and at a price I'm willing to pay (say around $6).
And so far I've not been disappointed.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #67
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Before deciding I want to buy a book I usually look at a few sources:

NY Times Best Seller list (others as well) for inspiration/ideas of things I might not consider reading.

Google/amazon to see if there is a preview available.

My local library to see if the book is available or on order, if it is I put a hold on it

Failing that, if it is not going to be ordered by the library then I may purchase the book in either analogue or digital format if I want it badly enough.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #68
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
Not that there any valid "excuses" to use the "darknet", but ...

With music, the only reason I bought all my music on cd's as opposed to downloading them (legal or otherwise) was a matter of quality and at times the draconian DRM in place. I avoided DRM'd CD's after having quite a few problems with them, and when drm'd cd's "peaked" that soon became a problem. Especially as I work with audio for a living and whenever I used some music, they got paid. It soon annoyed me so much that I didn't even try. As soon as I saw something was drm'd I wouldn't even use their non-drm'd tracks.

Metallica is never used in any of my productions for the same reason, no matter how fitting it might be.

What's that got to do with ebooks, you ask?

Well, besides the calibre manual, my first ebook bought after I got my new toy was from Barnes & Noble. I couldn't believe the hoops I had to go through to make me able to read it on my PRS-900. In the process I discovered that in the US it's illegal to circumvent drm, no matter if it isn't "fit for purpose" or something else is wrong (draconian? Yes, I think so. Luckily such laws aren't present in the EU (I'm in Denmark).

Then I figured I'd try the Sony Store since I had good luck with cheating the Barnes & Noble store with my hotel address but still use my danish visa-card (go figure ...).
Turns out I had no problems purchasing and downloading a book directly from the reader - I was in NY at the time - but the moment I tried pfaffing about with the Sony Reader software on the computer, the book first became unreadable, then the reader software decided to not allowing me to even open the sony software as it couldn't figure out that two emails (the one in ADE and the one I entered in Sony's software) was the exact same and the same I have used on all things ebook-related.

This sort of hoops just to be able to read something I purchased have made me reconsider this whole thing. I mean, I'm all for giving my money to publishers, authors, artists, whatever, but i don't want to be treated like a potential criminal in the process.

It seems that the "ebook business" is trailing a decade or two behind the music business.

With this in mind, I know I'll be using "the darknet" from time to time - actually it was that very decision which led me to this thread. It'll be a conscious decision on a book-to-book basis, though.

P.S. I think DRM on library books are a whole different matter. That is a true loan. Not a purchase.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #69
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Last night I bought a book I could find nowhere else from Barnes & Noble in the ePub format because I do not like B&N's software and use the old eReader software to read PDBs. Well, stupid me... B&N's DRM ePub can only be read on their software, which I guess I should have known or at least checked into.

So here I sit w/a book I can't read on any of my available hardware, a book I might add which I own in hardcover. As irritated as I am I would seriously consider the darknet but I have no idea where it is! Do you just search for a particular book and if it's not a legit website it is presumably the darknet.

Also, are not worms and virus a theat?
d
If you really want to read it on your available hardware can't you put the B&N for PC app on your netbook? It's not my favorite PC reader by far but I do use it if I want to read something locked into B&N DRM.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #70
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Charlie,
I circumvented the B&N DRM on my purchased B&N book so I could read it on my PRS900. Luckily I don't live in the US where such things are criminal. Here it's fair use to be able to read an epub ebook on a portable reader.

I can't even remember where I found the workaround, but I remember I had to download three (?) files and then locate the book. Quite cumbersome, but I don't remember from where or how I did it, as I promised myself along the way that I'd never buy another drm'ed B&N book.

I don't believe in the "solution" it is to read it on your laptop, and your laptop solely and even have to have a specific program to even open it.
My search would have included "circumventing", "Barnes & Noble", and "DRM". I know that for sure. See what you can find.

Mods, I hope that's not too much giving him these pointers, as it seems you're based in the US? If so, please delete this post as you see fit and let me know.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #71
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
I don't believe in the "solution" it is to read it on your laptop, and your laptop solely and even have to have a specific program to even open it.
Hey, he's the one who listed the netbook (not laptop, netbook) as one of his devices.

I read all my ebooks on a netbook for now and find it quite workable but I know it's not for everyone.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #72
AGB
Headbutting stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
Hey, he's the one who listed the netbook (not laptop, netbook) as one of his devices.

I read all my ebooks on a netbook for now and find it quite workable but I know it's not for everyone.
LOL, sorry, I missed that part
Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #73
BexBits
Zealot

Quote:
LOL, sorry, I missed that part
Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #74
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Not that there any valid "excuses" to use the "darknet", but ...
One doesn't *need* an excuse - one just goes ahead and does it! (Of course, like reading poetry in public, one should always wash one's hands after doing so.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #75
AGB
Headbutting stupidity

You're right. We don't need an excuse, but I'm of the opinion that you need to think about your reasoning for doing so. Not because of any laws or anything, but from an ethical standpoint.
I might be standing where I, well, stand, because I produce audio (both music and non-music) as well as articles and other journalistic products . I'm not really against a little copyright infringement here and there, as long it isn't commercial or is misused. I don't even mind if people use "my" music in smaller commercial productions. If they ask first and nicely, I will do my bit to persuade the artist to do it for free (I often get percentages of sale, not a lump sum, so I'm on par with the artist).

But, anyway, I don't think one should blindly download books, music, films, or on a much grander scale, much here in life without thinking about it, or without at least taking it up for revision once in a while.

I don't care much about what people end up deciding (about much), as long as they have made a conscious decision on the subject. I wish more people made more conscious decisions instead of following the herd while yelling at the top of their lungs "We're individuals! Look at us go!"

LOL, sorry, I'm tired and I'm finally finished exporting my audio project to four different formats

Last edited by AGB; 08-06-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Spelling, clarification etc.