Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #61
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Because more than a handful of folks prefer reading on a backlit screen (great resolution, high ppi, IPS, etc). If I'm not in the direct sun, that's my preference as well. Some are turned off by the black on grey experience of eink. If there was a way to lighten the background so it looked more like a book, more folks would be attracted to them perhaps. It's simply about preference, not about paying more or getting less battery life. Those aren't concerns when you simply aren't turned on by the eInk experience.
I see your point.

However (and that's probably me or my own opinion) I believe e-ink is the closest thing to a regular paper book, not an LCD screen, including iPads.

The e-ink background probably is not totally white, but the overall experience is closer to reading a book. Real books do not emit light ....

Anyway, back to topic. I think the Kindle Fire is a good value. Some of the minor imperfections will be fixed with 1st patch, that's usually the case, it happened to Nook and Nook Color as well.

It's up to people to decide if the lack of SD card is something to consider or not. Let's see ...

Last edited by jocampo; 11-15-2011 at 02:36 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #62
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

The e-ink background probably is not totally white, but the overall experience is closer to reading a book. Real books do not emit light ....
I certainly agree. Just wish we could get rid of that drab dull look you get when not in strong lighting conditions. On my tablet I use a grey background sometimes with dark black text to resemble an eInk screen. It's very comfortable on the eyes with dimmed brightness. That's really why I sold my Sony 950 a few days ago, just a couple of months after buying it. I just wasn't using it as much as I thought I would. I always reached for my tablet. I'm getting a Kindle Touch to replace the Sony though for those conditions when it's a must have.

Last edited by SCION; 11-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I certainly agree. Just wish we could get rid of that drab dull look you get when not in strong lighting conditions. On my tablet I use a grey background sometimes with dark black text to resemble an eInk screen. It's very comfortable on the eyes with dimmed brightness. That's really why I sold my Sony 950 a few days ago, just a couple of months after buying it. I just wasn't using it as much as I thought I would. I always reached for my tablet. I'm getting a Kindle Touch to replace the Sony though for those conditions when it's a must have.
My K3 doesn't have that issue but my K4 does look dull when not in full light so the Touch might too. They seem to have the same screen. My place doesn't have good lighting at all. It's dreary.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #64
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My K3 doesn't have that issue but my K4 does look dull when not in full light so the Touch might too. They seem to have the same screen. My place doesn't have good lighting at all. It's dreary.
My place has dreary lighting but it generally fits my mood.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
My place has dreary lighting but it generally fits my mood.
Bright lights and sunlight hurts my eyes so I prefer it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #66
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
You can dim the screen until you can't see anymore. Does that count?
Thats what I do on my IQ when I read in bed: run the brightness to near minimum. The contrast ends up at first-gen eink levels, which is okay for a dark room.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #67
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Unboxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
seems like everyone reviewing the Fire has an agenda. I think I'll just pick one up and see for myself.
I stopped by Staples to grab one this morning. They were still waiting for the shipment to arrive. When I returned to the store after work, Fire posters were in the windows and there was a demo unit on display. After playing with the demo unit for a half hour, I bought two. I used Discover cash back to pay for the Fires, so my cost was $160/unit (Discover lets you purchase $25 Staples gift cards for $20).

My Fires were #2 and #3 sold at that store, so they are not exactly flying off the shelves.

I unboxed the unit when I got home. It was bigger and heavier than I expected. It's not TOO big or TOO heavy -- just a little bigger and a lot heavier than the Kindle I have been carrying around for a month. You won't slip it in a shirt pocket, but it easily slides into my front or back pants pocket which is nice if you are dashing through an airport.

Setup took just a few minutes. The keyboard is much better than my Storm2. Turns out bigger really is better and I like that the pressed key pops up above my fingertip as I type. It was painless to enter my wireless password and amazon credentials. My library loaded almost immediately. The Fire is a good ereader. It works in both orientations and the sepia color scheme is very comfortable for me. When you click a link in a book, the web integration is much better than on my Kindle.

I loaded the free Netflix app and watched an episode of The Office. This caught the interest of my oldest. He had 'no interest' in any tablet until tonight (he has a 14" laptop and a Droid2 phone), but monopolized the Fire for a full five hours. He gave Prime a thumbs up (better app than netflix and a surprisingly large library), installed some games (including a free version of Angry Birds), and surfed the web.

My wife also used the Fire for a half hour declaring it, "Awesome."

I didn't carefully measure the battery life, but 7-8 hours seems to be right on. College Boy returns to school tomorrow. I'll give this thing a thorough once over and post a followup. My first impressions are very positive.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
After playing with the demo unit for a half hour, I bought two. I used Discover cash back to pay for the Fires, so my cost was $160/unit (Discover lets you purchase $25 Staples gift cards for $20).
Great deal ...that's the way to shop.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
He gave Prime a thumbs up (better app than netflix and a surprisingly large library), installed some games (including a free version of Angry Birds), and surfed the web.
I have Prime and stream it on my TouchPad. I chose it over Netflix because it was cheaper and offered 2-day free shipping for Amazon purchases; and now it offers free library books. Netflix can't compete with that.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #70
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
It offers all of your browser traffic (URLs entered, clicks, form information, passwords, etc...) to Amazon by default - even SSL communications (they are basically a man-in-the-middle: it goes to them, is decrypted, then reincrypted and passed on to the destination you were intending. Same goes for the path back to you). That's what the Silk browser offers and one of the reasons why, even if they remove all geographic restrictions, I will never get a Fire.
As someone else has already pointed out, that can be turned off (I think it's on by default). You're entirely wrong about SSL traffic, however. SSL traffic is not routed through Amazon's servers, even if cloud acceleration is enabled.

The EFF says:
Quote:
Amazon does not intercept encrypted traffic, so your communications over HTTPS would not be accelerated or tracked. According to Jon Jenkins, director of Silk development, “secure web page requests (SSL) are routed directly from the Kindle Fire to the origin server and do not pass through Amazon’s EC2 servers.” In other words, no HTTPS requests will ever use cloud acceleration mode. Given the prevalence of web pages served over HTTPS, this gives Amazon good incentive to make Silk fast and usable even when cloud acceleration is off. Turning it off completely should be a viable option for users.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #71
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Truthfully, I'll be getting a Vita before thinking about one of these. Games need to be immersive, complex and/or read like hypertext novels to hold my interest, and Angry Birds on a larger screen can't cover that.

Now that the PSP's controls have been sorted on the Vita, I'm hoping for updated versions of SMT: Nocturne, Persona 4, Ico, and a host of Japanese horror franchises (SH2, Fatal Frame 1-4, etc.). No one else likes Rule of Rose, but I'd kill for that on a portable. The battles are clumsy, but I look at games as a writer and musician, and RoR feels a collab between Dorothea Tanning, Remedios Varo, Bela Bartok and Edward Gorey.

An iPad would be useful to me as a musician, but not as a writer. I don't like the resolution of the screen or the word processor's editing UI.

I'm not a pure consumer -- I get ideas and have to write them out in the middle of watching films, listening to music and reading books -- so neither the Fire nor any other Android Tablet is a viable solution for multi-tasking. So far, a Win8 tablet with a matte IPS sounds like the best compromise for users like me.

($500 non-Apple tablets too expensive? Then be patient and wait for them to get remaindered if a KF won't scratch your itch.)
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #72
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

I agree. Though I dont think e-ink needs to be white. All the paperbacks I have the pages are not bright white they are a either a creamy color or a grayish color. Than they turn yellow after a few years.

So I am totally agree that if you want a device that is closer to reading real books eink is the best you will get today.

Last edited by Tony1988; 11-16-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #73
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Most real books aren't glossy either ... I never have any "glare" or "reflection" issues with a paper book.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #74
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Most real books aren't glossy either ... I never have any "glare" or "reflection" issues with a paper book.
Right, but the glossy effect is more noticeable on an LCD screen than e-ink.

By the way, a scientific, just for fun, lol ...all surfaces must reflect light in some way or another, so we can see those, including paper. If there is no light reflection at all, or a poor one, we can't actually see the object.

That's why when is dark or night (no ambient light) our eyes can't see very well. The light reflection is min or very low.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #75
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
Quote:
The reason is simple and the same I gave here when I returned the Nook Color: it is too small for PDFs and Magazines.

Let's face it, most magazines were designed to be displayed or read on a 10" size; a real paper magazine is about that size as well. Pictures look better at that size. So, trying to display that on 7" is not going to work.
Exactly. This is the main reason why I'm going to get a tablet. Reading PDFs on a Kindle3 is a pain and just about the only thing I dislike about the Kindle. I was hoping that Amazon was going to announce their 10" Fire, but the projected 2012 launch, possibly at 8.9", is too little and too late for me.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote