Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #61
fizzwinkus
Rookie
fizzwinkus began at the beginning.

Device: Philips Nino500, Palm 500, Palm 3c, Palm Vx, PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad
i actually expect the ipad to last as long as my sony readers have (600 and 505)
i probably only got 10 hours of reading with them because the clock and ramstates kept eating the battery. a month of standby on the ipad seems a bit less compared to the sonys, but i expect to be using the ipad much much more than the sony readers. i'll end up charging it every night just like the iphone, but that's easy because they use the same port.
fizzwinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #62
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Once more, he said "most" apps.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #63
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Once more, he said "most" apps.
Yep, that is what he said. But I took it as weasel wording from the law department.

The way I see it, Apple is a hardware company. Creating a device which is accessible for all flavors of file & DRM means that the device is attractive to people who already own ebook readers and ebooks, and who don't want to give them up. It also attracts people new to ebooks, who will figure that they can have all the ebooks, without being tied down to a proprietary dedicated reader.

It's kind of the reverse of Amazon. Amazon sells books, and now ebooks, but they cannot last having their ebooks tied down to a single kind of ebook reader. If they try to, Apple will eat their ebook lunch. In fact, Apple might see the iBook store as a statement to all the other ebook providers - namely, that Apple will eat said lunch unless they protect themselves by creating iPad apps for their proprietary ebooks.

So it seems to me that in the case of ebooks, Apple's business interests make it likely that the iPad will run other ebook apps. Kobo obviously thinks so.

So while it's possible that Apple will exclude some or all ebook apps, that's not the way to bet.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #64
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 09:02 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #65
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Apple can pull those for iPad only, and leave them available for iPhones.
That would be very retarded if they did that, with those two apps they have the widest range of books of any full-size reader which would seem an ideal way to attract readers who then become potential customers for iBooks.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #66
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravescp View Post
Steve said during the Keynote that ever application that runs on the iphone will run on the iPad. That includes the Kindle app, Barnes and Nobel, and Stanza. I know I don't have an iPad in my hand, but Apple does not fear the competition. They make the majority of their $ on the hardware, and if you want to run the Stanza app on the iPad. Enjoy :-)
As far as I can tell, in context of the rest of this part of the keynote he meant that those applications will be runnable on iPad. I don't dispute that. I say that Apple won't allow them to run on iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
That would be very retarded if they did that, with those two apps they have the widest range of books of any full-size reader which would seem an ideal way to attract readers who then become potential customers for iBooks.
The problem with becoming potential customers for iBooks is that books in iBooks are set to cost 1.5 times as much as books on App Store apps. That's what Apple promised to large book publishers to get them on board. Now if Apple let other eBook readers compete with iBooks, it would cause the customers to move away from iBooks to those applications. So it would be retarded to let those apps compete with iBooks.

Several people in different threads said that if Stanza etc. aren't allowed to run on iPad, that would mean Apple retroactively withdraws them from App Store. I don't see how this could be - no iPad has yet been sold, no app has yet run on bought iPad, if some apps are allowed only on iPod, but not on iPad, no app ceases to be available where it was available before. The situation would stay clear as well - Stanza is allowed on iPod because iPod has no Apple-brand eBook reader, and it's not allowed on iPad because iPad has one.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #67
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
The iPhone had the Kindle and B&N Reader apps before iBook was out. If Apple pulled them, we may end up with riots.
Yes, but the iPhone does NOT have it's own Apple branded reader and bookstore (Yet). It has always been Apple's policy to deny apps that "duplicate functionality" (translation: compete with Apple). I would bet anyone a sawbuck that the Kindle and B&N apps will not be allowed on the iPad.

In fact, they may expand their iBook app to the iPod Touch and iPhone in which case the Kindle app may be pulled from those as well.

And yes, they might piss off some B&N and Kindle customers that already own an iPod or iPhone - but Apple already HAS their money. <g>

Last edited by CCDMan; 01-30-2010 at 10:58 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #68
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Ultimately, the success of the thing as an ebook reader will be determined by ergonomics. How comfortable is it to hold? How heavy is it? I use the Iliad for most of my reading and find it the most comfortable of the many ereaders I have used, including the Sony 505 and the Kindle. The iPad weighs quite a bit more than the iLiad, so I'm a bit dubious -- but I am certainly intrigued by the device. In any case, in spite of the many obvious shortcomings of the Iliad, reading pdf's on it formatted with Book Designer works very well for me.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #69
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
In fact, they may expand their iBook app to the iPod Touch and iPhone in which case the Kindle app may be pulled from those as well.

And yes, they might piss off some B&N and Kindle customers that already own an iPod or iPhone - but Apple already HAS their money. <g>
That they won't do, because those people might want to buy Apple products in the future. If they bought lots of Kindle books for iPhone, and then the application is removed from App Store for iPhone, I don't think they'd buy anything Apple ever again, and they'd be very loud about it.

But Apple never promised anyone they'll ever have Stanza etc. on iPad.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #70
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
That they won't do, because those people might want to buy Apple products in the future. If they bought lots of Kindle books for iPhone, and then the application is removed from App Store for iPhone, I don't think they'd buy anything Apple ever again, and they'd be very loud about it.

But Apple never promised anyone they'll ever have Stanza etc. on iPad.
Weren't Stanza and eReader the first reading apps on the iPhone? Stanza especially made it a viable ebook reader, IMO. Would be ashamed to reward that support by leaving them out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #71
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
And what about outside of the US? The iPad is launching worldwide but the iBook store will initially be restricted to the US only? How could Apple possibly justify not allowing other ebook apps if you also can't access iBook!?
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #72
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Weren't Stanza and eReader the first reading apps on the iPhone? Stanza especially made it a viable ebook reader, IMO. Would be ashamed to reward that support by leaving them out.
I totally agree. The success of both Stanza & eReader had to have helped convince Apple that the iPhone OS was a viable eReading platform.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #73
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Daffy4u - I would love to know how readable the screen is outside both in direct sunlight and shade.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #74
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Daffy4u - I would love to know how readable the screen is outside both in direct sunlight and shade.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you, sorry. We finished our job together and he's not accessable to me now. I'm sure we'll be getting more definitive hands on reports from the traditional sources over the next few weeks.

FYI, when using my laptop outside I use a Hoodman (I have a few sizes from back when they were less standardized). I would not be surprised if a new iPad Hoodman should pop-up if there are outside screen issues.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #75
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I suspect that the iPad won't work any better outside than any other non-reflective screen.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote