Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #721
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I haven't used a Forma, Libra or Oasis. But I'm assuming the lighting issues come from the new form factor.

Do Oases have trouble of inconsistent lighting? If not, could it stem from glass screens rather than plastic ones? (No, I'm not talking about the substrate.)
Somewhat, but not so much as the Libra. The Voyage had pretty bad lighting problems, though, and it too had a glass screen. So it seems to be just the matter of pure luck, not the form factor or the screen material.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #722
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The Oasis 3 has considerably more LEDs than anything else on the market, IIRC.

And it took lab126 an inordinate amount of prototype iterations to get there.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2020, 06:22 AM   #723
Cybrand
Cybrand began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Bought 5 Libras, all of them with very uneven lightning and returned all of them. I now stick with my little Clara which is quite even, just the way I like it

Last edited by Cybrand; 06-30-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Cybrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #724
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrand View Post
Bought 5 Libras, all of them with very uneven lightning and returned all of them. I now stick with my little Clara which is quite even, just the way I like it
Hm, you have mentioned it a couple of times

I am glad you finally found something you like.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:27 AM   #725
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrand View Post
My Libra has great even lighting, maybe there was a batch problem in the ones you bought.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2020, 02:50 AM   #726
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
I've noticed the shadow and ghosting. But when I move to a new screen the ghosting disappears. Seems like they should be able to fix that.
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #727
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
It's specific to eInk screens. Nothing can fix that, really, you'll have to live with. But you can change the refresh frequency in the settings of the Libra to each page, so you probably won't notice ghosting again.
I own a Libra and the screen, in terms of ghosting, is significantly better than in my "broken" Glo HD. Don't know if it was a problem with the batch I got, but the Libra seems better.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:54 AM   #728
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Libra exchange

I have been growing discontented with my Libra's screen for a while, and it turned months ago from my main squeeze to a make-do for transit with a handbag too small for the Forma, all because of the screen light: I felt like the white leds had grown very weak, and the screen at 100% was not bright, so I had to use the orange leds which made it much too lemony.
At long last I decided to go back to the FNAC where I bought it the first day it came out in France (17 September 2019), and they exchanged it. I'm very happy with the new one - no need to be at 100% all the time, a nice even color, very slightly cream compared to the white borders at the window, slightly colder than the white borders under a lamp.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #729
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've never had to turn mine up more than 10% and that was situations with no electric light and no normal daylight.

Mostly I never have lights on, on it or the Kindle PW3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #730
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
It's specific to eInk screens. Nothing can fix that, really, you'll have to live with. But you can change the refresh frequency in the settings of the Libra to each page, so you probably won't notice ghosting again.
I own a Libra and the screen, in terms of ghosting, is significantly better than in my "broken" Glo HD. Don't know if it was a problem with the batch I got, but the Libra seems better.
thank you for that info!!
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:16 PM   #731
giacoboh
giacoboh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Libra H2O
Does anyone know a way to light the screen using physical key ?
giacoboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #732
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacoboh View Post
I am not sure, but try the following. Press the light icon at the top of the screen. Then try pressing the page forward button. If that works, you can use the buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #733
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacoboh View Post
You profile lists you having a Glo. That has a button for the light. But, as this is a thread about the Libra H2O, I assume you have one of those. There might be a patch to change the function of one of the buttons, but, I don't remember seeing on.

And for the record, I never turn the light off. I adjust the light level frequently whenever needed to what I feel is the best with the ambient light level. Under all except the brightest lighting conditions (midday, outside in an Australian summer) I find the contrast is improved with a little bit of light.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:13 AM   #734
giacoboh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am not sure, but try the following. Press the light icon at the top of the screen. Then try pressing the page forward button. If that works, you can use the buttons.
It appears to work, pressing page buttons (randomly) change brightness and natural light values.
Unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem.
I would like to switch on the backlight right away the device has been powered up and be able to do that in a dark room. (That's exactly what I can do with my Kobo GLO)
Old 07-04-2022, 06:39 AM   #735
giacoboh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You profile lists you having a Glo. That has a button for the light. But, as this is a thread about the Libra H2O, I assume you have one of those. There might be a patch to change the function of one of the buttons, but, I don't remember seeing on.

And for the record, I never turn the light off. I adjust the light level frequently whenever needed to what I feel is the best with the ambient light level. Under all except the brightest lighting conditions (midday, outside in an Australian summer) I find the contrast is improved with a little bit of light.
Yes, I have both. I borrowed my sister Libra H2O while waiting to fix my Kobo GLO.
I'd like to keep the backlight off during daytime to maximize battery life.
I searched for a patch but can't find the right one. I'm not even sure how a patch work. I can install one and then be able to play with a config file? Could you recommend FAQ/wiki to start with