Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-16-2023, 02:47 AM   #691
fermin
Enthusiast
fermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with others

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
You said the metadata is embedded, so also the series info is embedded.
I have no problems in MapleRead with embedded series info.
Somewhere in your process is a mistake.

Edit: what do you mean by download? Download from vendor or from calibre?

Edit2: @romad: in the original kindle ePub there is no series info?

Edit3: I just downloaded an old buy from Amazon and yes, there is no series info in the azw3
When I do exactly the same for example in i2reader or even good old Marvin, it works. That's to say, I just download a new eBook from my Calibre-Web server and series info (if it's a book that is part of a series) is automatically shown.

All my books are EPUB, some of them converted from AZW3. What I do in Calibre after importing a book:
- Convert to EPUB, if it wasn't already in that format
- Remove all other formats except EPUB
- Remove all categories, add my own
- Import/update metadata, especially author and series info
- Embed the metadata in the EPUB file using the "Embed metadata" function

That last action is critical; before I did that, Marvin for example wouldn't show that data.

I don't see why MapleRead shouldn't be able to just take embedded metadata, if embedded in the ebook, and show it after the download. I don't want to have to do it manually in every ebook aber the download.
fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:28 AM   #692
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermin View Post
When I do exactly the same for example in i2reader or even good old Marvin, it works. That's to say, I just download a new eBook from my Calibre-Web server and series info (if it's a book that is part of a series) is automatically shown.

All my books are EPUB, some of them converted from AZW3. What I do in Calibre after importing a book:
- Convert to EPUB, if it wasn't already in that format
- Remove all other formats except EPUB
- Remove all categories, add my own
- Import/update metadata, especially author and series info
- Embed the metadata in the EPUB file using the "Embed metadata" function.
That last action is critical; before I did that, Marvin for example wouldn't show that data.

I don't see why MapleRead shouldn't be able to just take embedded metadata, if embedded in the ebook, and show it after the download. I don't want to have to do it manually in every ebook aber the download.
MapleRead is able to show embedded metadata - I see them!

You have the correct sorting method in MapleRead to show series?
Series are not shown in every sorting method…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	203180 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2682.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	203181

Last edited by Wiggo; 08-16-2023 at 07:32 AM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2023, 05:20 AM   #693
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I have had some problems with MapleRead SE. So I decided to delete and reinstall. That fixed the problems, but I also lost my userinstalled font ChareInk. I then tried to reinstall the font as described in the Mapleread FAQ.
But here I received the following error message:

"Font installation failed.
Can't install a font file embedding a font family name that is already taken
."

I can install other fonts using the procedure but not ChareInk that is my favorite font for iPad reading.
The font ChareInk is also present and used in Marvin.

I have tried to rename the font using a Typograf program. That went well enough, but the error persits.

The fonts are in Windows 10. The IOS is v16.6.

Is there som setting i IOS thst forbids the reinstall?
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:47 AM   #694
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good question. I have ChareInk6 installed
Old 08-18-2023, 05:37 AM   #695
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good question. I have ChareInk6 installed
I have tried the other weighted versions. But they are IMO too heavy. ChareInk is just right for me.

However I have found a solution:
  • In Mapleread select the A menu
  • Select More in the bottom.
  • Then select Custom Fonts
  • Here I could see the ChareInk font.
  • Select it and press Save

ChareInk is now avaiable in the font menus

For no good reason I also has Mapleread CE. It also lost the ChareInk font when I reinstalled MapleRead SE. But the procedure also worked there.

Last edited by svenlind; 08-18-2023 at 05:41 AM.
Advert
Old 08-18-2023, 07:41 AM   #696
Wiggo
Leftutti

So clearly the error message after installation came up, because the font was already installed and there. I’m only wondering that ChareInk is at Custom Fonts, but I don't remember what it was like for me.

But anyway, all's well that ends well.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:49 PM   #697
jrsforums
jrsforums began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
iCloud backup

I have been using Marvin 3 for years and realize it is time I need to move on. I looked at many of the available ereaders and believe, from what I have seen, that Mapleread is the best for my needs.

One major concern I have is the lack of backup to the iCloud….and this may be just my lack of understanding on how iCloud backup works…..or nor??

If I am using Mapleread, have hundreds of books in my library, and am using iCloud to backup my iPad…..and my iPad dies….will the app and all the books be restore when I do an iCloud restore to my replacement iPad?
jrsforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:22 AM   #698
Wiggo
Leftutti

@svenlind: How did you install ChareInk the first time? I just tried to reproduce your problems and for me it looks like you installed it first time not via MapleRead, otherwise it would not have been in custom types.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:45 AM   #699
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
@svenlind: How did you install ChareInk the first time? I just tried to reproduce your problems and for me it looks like you installed it first time not via MapleRead, otherwise it would not have been in custom types.
I really can't remember I think it was in the same way. I have Mapleread on other iPads. There the ChareInk is avaiable in the font menus, but is not seen in the Custom Menu.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #700
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I really can't remember I think it was in the same way. I have Mapleread on other iPads. There the ChareInk is avaiable in the font menus, but is not seen in the Custom Menu.
By available in the font menus you mean User’s fonts?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8643.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	203237

But actually it doesn't matter and the main thing is that it works again. I’m just curious
Old 08-20-2023, 03:41 PM   #701
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsforums View Post
I have been using Marvin 3 for years and realize it is time I need to move on. I looked at many of the available ereaders and believe, from what I have seen, that Mapleread is the best for my needs.

One major concern I have is the lack of backup to the iCloud….and this may be just my lack of understanding on how iCloud backup works…..or nor??

If I am using Mapleread, have hundreds of books in my library, and am using iCloud to backup my iPad…..and my iPad dies….will the app and all the books be restore when I do an iCloud restore to my replacement iPad?
Good question - have you synced and checked your MapleRead backup size in iCloud?
At least you could do a manual backup of you MR library.

Edit: wait, sync is only for reading positions and annotations I think

Last edited by Wiggo; 08-20-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:21 AM   #702
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
By available in the font menus you mean User’s fonts?
Attachment 203237
I simply mean The A menu where you can select Text Font and Heading font.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:32 PM   #703
Wiggo
Leftutti

I see. Let's just leave it.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:33 PM   #704
Mtnguy321
Mtnguy321 doesn't litterMtnguy321 doesn't litter

Device: Ipad
When I used Marvin I was able to use the following to mark a passage and then call up Bear and it would automatically put the passage in Bear. I’m not a coder … I’d like it to be able to be run in MapleRead, copy the text into Bear and return to MapleRead.

- [ ] bear://x-callback-url/create?title={author}:%20{title}&text=Kapitel:%20/{chapter}/%0A*%C2%AB{text}%C2%BB*&mode=append&x-success=marvin3:

This is working great in Marvin but want it to work in MapleRead.
Mtnguy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:22 AM   #705
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur
Clark G. Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Yes, I remember that. It was not specifically a Marvin functionality, but an iOS interface that was later considered a security risk and therefore desupported by Apple.
Clark G. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mapleread