Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2023, 11:41 PM   #676
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Is it possible that FAQ 30 might have a bearing:

Are the tags of imported books dependent on how I import?
Yes. EPUB books usually embed multiple subject attributes, which are extracted and saved as tags after import in general. However, if they are imported via OPDS catalogs, then the tags of the corresponding OPDS entries completely override the embedded ones.

Also can you give an example of the tags you see being arbitrarily assigned?
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:07 AM   #677
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Yes, MapleRead does grab tags not apparent in Calibre. A workaround is to add the tags you want, install Polish Books, check "update metadata in book files" and "Add/replace metadata as a 'book jacket' page" (I'm not sure whether the second one is actually needed). Click on your book, run Polish Books, right click on the book, click remove files of a specific format..., delete original epub. Then transfer your book to MapleRead and the tags will be correct.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #678
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

So from where does MapleRead grab those tags? Are they some sort of default in MapleRead?
Old 06-17-2023, 11:19 AM   #679
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
So from where does MapleRead grab those tags? Are they some sort of default in MapleRead?
It grabs the embedded tags that come from the epub files (from the publisher I presume).
Old 06-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #680
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
It grabs the embedded tags that come from the epub files (from the publisher I presume).
So, in theory, one might be able to open the book with Calibre's "Edit Book" function then find and delete the tags they don't want?
Advert
Old 06-17-2023, 01:05 PM   #681
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
So, in theory, one might be able to open the book with Calibre's "Edit Book" function then find and delete the tags they don't want?
I don't know if you can see all the hidden tags that way. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:08 PM   #682
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Every EPUB book contains metadata, including title, author, and subjects (<dc:subject>), etc. Apparently MapleRead is displaying subjects as tags, and lets you completely override them as stated in their online FAQ.

If you unzip your .epub (easier on a computer), you can inspect the (original) subjects/tags in a file, usually in a file called content.opf. Sounds inconvenient? Fortunately, there is a much easier way.
  • Go to Book Info view associated with an EPUB book.
  • Tap Edit, then Restore All From Book.
  • You should the see the subjects/tags as originally embedded in the book. (They may or may not match what you see in calibre, depending on what you've done there.)
  • Now tap Cancel, if you don't really want to restore.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:43 AM   #683
Ryudeathxxx
Ryudeathxxx began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 13 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdv View Post
I bought Mapleread SE and tried to upload custom fonts: JunicodeTwo and EB Garamond. These are freely available on the internet.
I manage to get them into Mapleread, but for some reason the Italics are not used. I see just a slanted version of the regular font, but these 2 fonts have very distinctive italics that are apparently not used by Mapleread?
When I use for example the embedded Mapleread font Iowan Old Style, the the correct distinctive italics are used! Just not on my uploaded fonts…
Can any of you confirm this behaviour, or maybe have a solution?
Hello, have you found the solution for this? I send an email to support but no answer so far.
Ryudeathxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #684
fermin
Enthusiast
fermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with others

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Every EPUB book contains metadata, including title, author, and subjects (<dc:subject>), etc. Apparently MapleRead is displaying subjects as tags, and lets you completely override them as stated in their online FAQ.

If you unzip your .epub (easier on a computer), you can inspect the (original) subjects/tags in a file, usually in a file called content.opf. Sounds inconvenient? Fortunately, there is a much easier way.
  • Go to Book Info view associated with an EPUB book.
  • Tap Edit, then Restore All From Book.
  • You should the see the subjects/tags as originally embedded in the book. (They may or may not match what you see in calibre, depending on what you've done there.)
  • Now tap Cancel, if you don't really want to restore.
That's one of the main things that kept me from switching to MapleRead as a replacement for Marvin. Too bad this can't be set as the default. I don't really want to have to do this manually to every book I download. Other readers handle embedded metadata without any issues.
fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #685
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermin View Post
That's one of the main things that kept me from switching to MapleRead as a replacement for Marvin. Too bad this can't be set as the default. I don't really want to have to do this manually to every book I download. Other readers handle embedded metadata without any issues.
I don’t understand your problem.
MapleRead handles embedded metadata without any problem, except for OPDS imported.
It’s up to you what is embedded and it’s up to you which tags are in your OPDS catalogue.
Both are easy to manage in Calibre with single clicks
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #686
fermin
Enthusiast
fermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
I don’t understand your problem.
MapleRead handles embedded metadata without any problem, except for OPDS imported.
It’s up to you what is embedded and it’s up to you which tags are in your OPDS catalogue.
Both are easy to manage in Calibre with single clicks
I'd like to use OPDS import - the interface is better than when I connect to my Calibre-Web container using HTML. And my metadata is both in the catalogue as well as embedded in the .epub files.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:28 PM   #687
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So what’s the problem, fermin?
Old 08-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #688
fermin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
So what’s the problem, fermin?
Having to edit every book after the download and having to import the metadata (series, #of book in series, tags from Calibre) in the ebook.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:36 PM   #689
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Quote:
Having to edit every book after the download and having to import the metadata (series, #of book in series, tags from Calibre) in the ebook.
Are you converting them to ePUB? Is it possible the conversion process might be a problem? I convert Kindle ebooks to ePUB in Calibre and I always have to manually enter the Series name before converting or it doesn't appear in the ePUB.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:52 PM   #690
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
You said the metadata is embedded, so also the series info is embedded.
I have no problems in MapleRead with embedded series info.
Somewhere in your process is a mistake.

Edit: what do you mean by download? Download from vendor or from calibre?

Edit2: @romad: in the original kindle ePub there is no series info?

Edit3: I just downloaded an old buy from Amazon and yes, there is no series info in the azw3

Last edited by Wiggo; 08-15-2023 at 02:33 PM.

Tags
mapleread