Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #661
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñigo View Post
and it would be still one of the best ereaders in the market!
Sadly, yes.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #662
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
For anyone that owns one already, when you open a PDF that was created with bookmarks, are they recognized, or are bookmarks manually created only?

- James

BTW, I will order one today; watching the BestBuy thread with much interest.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #663
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straven View Post
For anyone that owns one already, when you open a PDF that was created with bookmarks, are they recognized, or are bookmarks manually created only?

- James

BTW, I will order one today; watching the BestBuy thread with much interest.
Sadly, these are not recognized. the bookmarks PDF reader uses its own kind.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #664
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Sadly, these are not recognized. the bookmarks PDF reader uses its own kind.
The DR800S does recognize the bookmarks which are included by the creator of the PDF file. You can add personal bookmarks on the device, but these are not stored in the PDF file, they are only stored in a separate file on the device.

It would be nearly impossible to navigate large PDF documents without the included bookmarks.

Though, some PDF documents do not come with bookmarks. But you can create your own, e.g. with the free BeCyPDFMetaEdit (Windows platform).
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #665
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
Though, some PDF documents do not come with bookmarks. But you can create your own, e.g. with the free BeCyPDFMetaEdit (Windows platform).
You can add/edit books marks with FoxIt Reader too. Just say no to installed Adobe reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #666
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
zerospinboson, DeReader, thanks for your replies.

I have recently started using BeCyPDFMetaEdit, and I've used FoxIt for quite a while now. Between those and OpenOffice I'm set to crank out PDFs.

Switching formats, do full justification and drop caps in EPUB display correctly? ... Although I suppose I can find out for myself next week. One's on order ....

- James
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #667
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straven View Post
zerospinboson, DeReader, thanks for your replies.

I have recently started using BeCyPDFMetaEdit, and I've used FoxIt for quite a while now. Between those and OpenOffice I'm set to crank out PDFs.

Switching formats, do full justification and drop caps in EPUB display correctly? ... Although I suppose I can find out for myself next week. One's on order ....

- James
Drop caps still don't seem to work correctly on the iRex, but full justification does (not all ePubs are actually setup for full justification though).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #668
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Unit not disconnecting

When I have had the unit (DR800) connected to the computer for transferring files, and I then eject it, it disappears from Windows Explorer but the unit says it is still connected. This means I can't use it whilst charging via USB to the computer. I can get it to disconnect by rebooting but that seems like an awful fag and something I shouldn't have to do.

Anyone else had this problem and know a solution? I've sent a support ticket but don't expect a reply until after the weekend.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #669
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
When I have had the unit (DR800) connected to the computer for transferring files, and I then eject it, it disappears from Windows Explorer but the unit says it is still connected. This means I can't use it whilst charging via USB to the computer. I can get it to disconnect by rebooting but that seems like an awful fag and something I shouldn't have to do.

Anyone else had this problem and know a solution? I've sent a support ticket but don't expect a reply until after the weekend.
Are you ejecting via the icon in the tray or are you ejecting via explorer? I eject via explorer (right click and select eject) and have not problem--the DR800 disconnects and can be charged.
drl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #670
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by drl View Post
I eject via explorer (right click and select eject) and have not problem--the DR800 disconnects and can be charged.
That's the way to do it: "Eject" the device. This applies to Windows, Mac and Linux workstations. The device does not respond to "Safely remove" in Windows, except under WinXP I think.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #671
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
That's the way to do it: "Eject" the device. This applies to Windows, Mac and Linux workstations. The device does not respond to "Safely remove" in Windows, except under WinXP I think.
Thanks to Gerjan and drl.
I was using the Safely Remove process from the icon in the tray. Ejecting via W Exp works.

TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #672
nunomad
nunomad began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Legal Codes in pdf

Hello.
I am new to the board and just decided to register so that I can ask some questions about the iRex 800.
I work in the Justice department of my country where the legislative production went crazy in the past years.
Now every code is altered every few months so I quit buying every six months the new versions in paper.
The discovery of the epaper world made me realize my future needs an ereader.
I will need a reader with:
- big screen;
- quick turning of pages;
- ability to quickly go to a certain page from the start of the code (ex.: beeing in the first page of the code and needing article 338º, not knowing exactly the page it is in - in paper I can do it very easily).
I will be working with .pdf.
With your precious experience do you think that the iRex 800 is a good choice?

If anyone minds trying it, I will be attaching the Penal Code in pdf.
How is it displayed?

Thank you very much for your attention.
Nuno
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Código_Penal.pdf (1.14 MB, 265 views)
nunomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #673
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Wow (one of the demo books). In my opinion, better than Sony 900.
I'll try to make comparison pictures next to Sony 505, Kindle 2 and others.
"All the young girls love Alice.."

Thanks for the side-by-side. It does indeed look great.

I really don't like the idea of having to use a stylus though...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #674
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
@nunomad: the original layout is unreadable, the letters are too small. But the document is actually perfectly reflowable. In "small" font it is already readible, but "medium" is better.
Special Portugese characters are displayed correctly, i.e. participação. I can take some pictures later, if you want.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #675
nunomad
nunomad began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
@nunomad: the original layout is unreadable, the letters are too small. But the document is actually perfectly reflowable. In "small" font it is already readible, but "medium" is better.
Special Portugese characters are displayed correctly, i.e. participação. I can take some pictures later, if you want.
Thank you, pauli.
Can you explain what does a "reflow" do?
I would greatly appreciate to see those pictures.
And what about my other concerns? Can you do quick jumps on the text?
nunomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irex 800