Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #631
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
All this talk of making bezels smaller is making my hands hurt just thinking about it.

I want MORE bezel, not less.
These are handheld devices meant to be used for hours on end.

Ergonomics matter

My bezel-less cell phone drives me crazy.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #632
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
All this talk of bezels is leading me to make two observations, neither of the earth-shattering variety:

Big bezels are best on a stay-at-home device. I think the new Nook is a lovely device to hold and 7.8" is too big to be a truly portable reader for most anyway. The big bezels on the 6" devices made them a non-starter for me; size counts both ways. Bigger is better for home; smaller is better for out-and-about.

Big bezels imply buttons of some sort. I've got small hands and I prefer small bezels in any case, but I also couldn't tap single-handedly on a device with large bezels.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #633
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't flog your stuff in a reader forum. A post has been deleted.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #634
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
For me, portable means it fits in my purse. So both the Forma and the Nook qualify. I always have one or the other. My 9.7" iPad stays home.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #635
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, most hardcovers and trade paperbacks always felt too heavy for me. I was a mass market paperback gal. What can I say... I'm a weakling.
The other thing I don't like about hardcover/trade is that they don't fit in the bookcase.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #636
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Most of the Forma cases basically double the weight and add noticeable bulk. I imagine the same is true for the Libra since it’s the same design though the glass substrate may add a little weight.

If my choice was between an ereader in a case and a pbook the weight of the pbook would matter. But my choice is between the weight of an ereader or an ereader in a case. I’ll pick the lighter option and be careful not to mash it into things.
Your loss. You can make your Reader harder to hold if you want. But it is easier to hold when the Reader is in a case.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #637
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
It is particularly acute for me the larger the device. The 6 inch class devices are all extremely one-handed for me.

I’m really hoping Barnes and Noble has a holiday deal of some kind on the plus so I could give it a good go
Do you realize how poor the nook software is? It's dreadful at best.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #638
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
$13 amazon works and feel good
You can get a similar case for the Kobo Libra H2O.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #639
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
Got myself a Kobo Forma now! (3rd reader in 2 months <_<)

The power button is *really* hard to press, wow. I was worried mine was broken!

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it.

I returned the others so I can't do a direct comparison, but I feel like the Kobo has better contrast than the Inkpad 3 Pro I tried last week?
With a sleep case, you won't need to press the power button all that much. I hardly use the power button on my H2O. I just close the case and open it to wake up the H2O. I only really use the power button if I want to turn off the H2O which is no all that often.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #640
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I don't get is when people bought the Readers such as the Sony Reader Prs-500, the original Kindle, and other similarly heavy Readers, there weren't complaints about how heavy they are. But now that we have lighter Readers, there are complaints that they can be heavy and a case makes them too heavy.

If the Reader with a case is lighter then your average MMPB, then I see no reason to complain about the weight.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #641
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
For me, portable means it fits in my purse. So both the Forma and the Nook qualify. I always have one or the other. My 9.7" iPad stays home.
I've gone smaller (and lighter - no more leather) on my purses in recent years. I can fit my H20 in any bag I'm likely to carry, but my Aura One wouldn't go, nor the new Nook, obviously. But at that, I'll carry the H2O in my purse only if I'm away and winging it with one device. Otherwise, my Glo HD is my dedicated purse bag, so it's always there. The battery on that is still going gangbusters.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #642
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you realize how poor the nook software is? It's dreadful at best.
I do now, yes - lol
Tried a GLP for a few days and had to return it.

The software was unbearable (to me).
DOG slow..
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #643
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
What I don't get is when people bought the Readers such as the Sony Reader Prs-500, the original Kindle, and other similarly heavy Readers, there weren't complaints about how heavy they are. But now that we have lighter Readers, there are complaints that they can be heavy and a case makes them too heavy.

If the Reader with a case is lighter then your average MMPB, then I see no reason to complain about the weight.
I completely agree. (Though I don't care if others use a case or not.)
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #644
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Fair points..
I honestly just don't enjoy using readers in a case, period.

Transporting them in one - sure - but I hate the way cases tend to make the "holding it" experience, particularly if it involves managing a "flap". Obviously minds will differ on this.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #645
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

I've never used the early ereaders. My first ereader was the Kindle Basic in 2011 and it weighed a lot less than those you mention.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote