Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #616
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Thanks Jellby for your explanations. You know me indeed, I never stopped wondering...

I had used a while the "alternate" setting but I found it more confusing than helpful. It so often started with the wrong one...

Maybe the KSM07 menu name regarding both "handle update" could be changed in a more explicit way: The meaning of "handle update" and "handle partial update" look very close but may cause mishaps for some uncautious users like me.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #617
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps, if there was a "Handle Kobo firmware Update", that was the same as the "partial update". A "KSM safe handling of update/patch", that also calls the "partial update". And an "Unprotected update" with a warning that some KSM files may be overwritten.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #618
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Maybe it would be useful to make the one-liner "You have to handle update" (or so) much longer and more user-friendly (after all there is a whole page)..

" This is from KSM07. One update file has to be processed:

For a file intended for Nickel, go this way...."

Last edited by roger64; 10-25-2015 at 05:22 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #619
Reventlov
Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hello. I have been searching on the forums an answer for that but didn't found anything, so I ask there.

Where are located the «*wifi*» scripts on the kobo (the ones that use wget) ? I have been searching on the mounted directory available after having enabled the usb connection in the KSM menus, but i found nothing.

Also, how do I add an item to the main menu from KSM ?

Thank you.
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #620
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reventlov View Post
Where are located the «*wifi*» scripts on the kobo (the ones that use wget) ? I have been searching on the mounted directory available after having enabled the usb connection in the KSM menus, but i found nothing.
Since you did not find the scripts on the user partition, I guess you are using KSM 08 (rather than 07). If this is the case, you will find them in /adds/kbmenu/scripts_intern/wifi of the system partition.
Quote:
Also, how do I add an item to the main menu from KSM ?
If you want to add anything apart from what is selectable by using "configure", you have to modify /adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh (again in KSM 08). Use caution! A mistake in this script can prevent the device from working. It depends on the device model how easy/difficult it will be to restore it.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #621
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Please remove '07' at the end of title, the program is evolving in version and is right now at version 8 test 3... So having title just for 07 is awkward and confusing. I proposed to mods to change it to "KSM - Kobo Start Menu".

Make it all more generic and comprehensive, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-27-2015 at 08:18 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #622
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Copy files from/to the system partition

... under the most recent version of KSM 08 (KSM08prep03.zip) without telnet or similar.

To copy a file from the system partition:
  • select tools > explore > ... (navigate to the directory that contains the file you want to copy)
  • toggle between the options "open/info/delete/cp to sysmirror" and settle for "cp to sysmirror"
  • poke the file you want to copy
You will find the copied file together with the whole path in .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/.

For instance, if you selected the file /etc/init.d/rcS, it will produce .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/etc/init.d/rcS (on the user partition; that is /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/etc/init.d/rcS).

To copy a file to the system partition:
  • select: tools > ksm diverse > copy sysmirror to sys.sh
This will sync-copy the whole content of .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/ to its intended location.
For instance, if you want to sync-copy the file myexecutable to /sbin, you would create .adds/kbmenu_user/sysmirror/sbin/myexecutable, and then select ... "copy sysmirror to sys.sh"

Use this only with caution!

Last edited by tshering; 10-28-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #623
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Please remove '07' at the end of title, the program is evolving in version and is right now at version 8 test 3... So having title just for 07 is awkward and confusing. I proposed to mods to change it to "KSM - Kobo Start Menu".
The current title might be confusing for the 264 people who downloaded the most recent version of 08. But it might be convenient for those of the 3613 people who downloaded the most recent version of 07 and are still using it.

The actual problem is that I did not yet create a new thread for 08. The main reason is that I am to busy right now, and that there seems not to be much interest in 08 anyway.

There is already a thread "Kobo Start Menu", which covers versions 02-06. Therefore, "KSM - Kobo Start Menu" might create further confusion.

Last edited by tshering; 10-27-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #624
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
This thread is approaching 50 pages. Once version 8 is out of a "test version" phase, it would be a good idea to start a KSM8 thread. Having "Mega" threads like the KOReader thread with 160+ pages, is more "awkward and confusing". You might want to leave it up to tshering, and not be asking the mods to make such changes, on the basis of your preference alone.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #625
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The actual problem is that I did not yet create a new thread for 08. The main reason is that I am to busy right now, and that there seems not to be much interest in 08 anyway.
Hey! I think that the interest for KSM08 is great but not all people want to try something if they aren't in stable fase.
Apart from that, sometimes the real life reclame a full time, like myself, at that moment I can't probe all things I would to try.

Thanks for your hard work
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #626
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I like KSM 08. Being very very new to Kobo, I didn't have any trouble installing it. Keep it up.

No issues whatsoever so far all good.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #627
Reventlov
Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.Reventlov is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Since you did not find the scripts on the user partition, I guess you are using KSM 08 (rather than 07). If this is the case, you will find them in /adds/kbmenu/scripts_intern/wifi of the system partition.
If you want to add anything apart from what is selectable by using "configure", you have to modify /adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh (again in KSM 08). Use caution! A mistake in this script can prevent the device from working. It depends on the device model how easy/difficult it will be to restore it.
Yup, that was it ! Thank you for this answer.
Another question, now: how to display images using the scripts that come with ksm 0.8 ? I found the following binaries // scripts: kbimageviewer, kbimageviewer.sh, imageviewer.sh, but I didn't find any example (for the options).

My ultimate goal is to download one image from the internet (I've done this part thanks to the wifi weather scripts) and to display it on the kobo, until it's "touched" (after a touch from the user, going back to the main menu).

I don't know if thoses scripts support "automatically" going back to where I was before opening them. I tried to launch them from the ksm terminal, it worked, but I wasn't able to do anything after that but a hard reboot.

Anyway, thank you for your work.
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #628
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Yup, that was it ! Thank you for this answer.
Another question, now: how to display images using the scripts that come with ksm 0.8 ? I found the following binaries // scripts: kbimageviewer, kbimageviewer.sh, imageviewer.sh, but I didn't find any example (for the options).

My ultimate goal is to download one image from the internet (I've done this part thanks to the wifi weather scripts) and to display it on the kobo, until it's "touched" (after a touch from the user, going back to the main menu).

I don't know if thoses scripts support "automatically" going back to where I was before opening them. I tried to launch them from the ksm terminal, it worked, but I wasn't able to do anything after that but a hard reboot.

Anyway, thank you for your work.
If I understand correctly what you mean by
Quote:
"automatically" going back to where I was before opening them.
then the answer is yes.

Simply displaying an image with kbimageviewer:
Spoiler:
Code:
$ksmroot/kbimageviewer.sh "filepath/imagefilename"
You can watch it work:
  • select tools > explore > explore mynotes.msh > pofftest > imgs > sleeping noboarder.png
Imagine that the screen is divided in 9 even fields
789 that you can tap.
1,3 (both have the same function): zoom out
7,9 (both have the same function): zoom in
2: move up
8: move down
4: move left
6: move right
5: open top menu (exit by selecting File > Exit)
Disadvantages: heavy ghosting; application hangs if you zoom in too much (what is to much depends on the image size and so on)

Simply displaying an image with kbmessage:
Spoiler:
Wrap the image into an html file and display it with
Code:
$ksmroot/kbmessage.sh "-f $pofile filepath/imagefilename"
You can find some example htmls in .adds/kbmenu_user/mynotes/pofftest. To see it work:
  • select tools > explore > explore mynotes.msh > pofftest > file01.html
tap at the middle of the screen to open the bottom menu, press then "close" to exit.

Best way to inspect the scripts of KSM is to extract the content of the download package on the pc.

Last edited by tshering; 10-27-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #629
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with others

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
Hi tshering,

I'm still very interested in KSM08, I'm checking this thread on a daily basis waiting for the final version, and until then I'm very happy using the pre-version that I have installed on my Kobo Glo.

So, the impression might be that nobody is interested, but in reality - at least in my case - KSM08 works flawlessly, there is no need to complain, and thus I might not have given enough positive feedback.

But better late than never: Thanks again, tshering, for your fantastic KSM08, I'm very happy with it and will continue to use it :-)

Cheers, Joe
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #630
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Well, I understand you're busy otherwise, but you're wrong in one thing. Or at least I think you're wrong.

There's is big interest in new version of KSM, especially as it should solve problems for people who use KSM, calibre and nickel together, as this is main reason (at least I think it is so) for you making KSM 8 and changes in it so KSM can unmount user partition.

But, I personally like to leave testing to other people. Not that I don't want to help, but in case something goes wrong, I don't think I'm competent enough to see what went wrong and give accurate reports. Also, at the moment I'm also a bit busy.

Anyway, I really would like to have KSM 8. It is, with koreader, my main software, i.e. I use KSM to start koreader and don't use nickel at all (except very rarely to adjust clock, as you can guess, this isn't every day).

And, you being busy at the moment, I know it wouldn't be soon, but certainly there's interest in it. Don't think people lost interest in your great KSM.

EDIT: And you can see, there are more who think and feel like I do, look at @jbaumann's post, I just wrote mine and saw his.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader/nickel, ksm 07