Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #616
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast
fr0stbit3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
First thing first. You can use it naked at home and covered outdoors, that's alright as long as you're very, very careful.
Point noted,sir! Thanks

Quote:
And my case. Well, after my heart started beating again, I called a lot of people, then went to MR and asked for some tips and then successfully called Amazon (because I forgot the code for international calling ).
They sent me another K3 for almost free, shipped immediately the next day through priority shipping. I paid for the VAT and some other fees, which costed about $30. That was all... I guess if I'd lived in America or somewhere near, they'd have asked me to return the broken device.
I suppose this would be possible in India as well?
fr0stbit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #617
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0stbit3 View Post
I suppose this would be possible in India as well?
Ahhh... I have no idea. I suppose you should call them and ask, "I'm in India, that's pretty far from your place, so would you send me a replacement kindle without asking me to return the broken one??"

According to my experiences, which are vast , the solutions Amazon offers vary. They are up to the moods of the person who receives your call, really. And of course the influence of your voice on the line Do you sound sweet and sincere and remorseful?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #618
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast
fr0stbit3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen Basic
Haha! Okay.. If i screw up I'll beg the customer service..

I guess I sound sincere.. I can get real formal.. I'll try sweet if i screw up.

Thanks
fr0stbit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #619
bornmusician
Bibliophile
bornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
I have a question for all of you that have Oberon covers (not sleeves). Student loans will be paid off next month so I'll have some extra money and am considering rewarding myself with an Oberon. I currently have an m-edge cover and i normally fold the front of the cover back when reading. The Oberons are beautiful, but I'm wondering if the stiffness of the leather (which is awesome for making it sturdy) would allow me to read with the cover folded back?

PS: this is the one I'm lusting for
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avenue_of_trees_fern.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	76419  
bornmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #620
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmusician View Post
I have a question for all of you that have Oberon covers (not sleeves). Student loans will be paid off next month so I'll have some extra money and am considering rewarding myself with an Oberon. I currently have an m-edge cover and i normally fold the front of the cover back when reading. The Oberons are beautiful, but I'm wondering if the stiffness of the leather (which is awesome for making it sturdy) would allow me to read with the cover folded back?

I haven't got my Oberon cover yet, it's still at customs, but on the Oberon website there's a video and they show that the casing can be folded back without a problem (around 5:27).

I ordered the Medici casing in chocolate, hopefully it'll arrive soon, but Dutch customs and mail aren't very fast when it comes to international mail.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #621
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I'd read somewhere that a kindle covers made it as heavy as a hardcover. This ain't that heavy..
absolutely no way, at least not most of the covers.

Quote:
Also.. Now that I think of it.. I wonder.. Is weight really an issue? I doubt if i will ever read with the kindle in my cover. The only real use of this cover is to prevent damage while transportation.

Since I'm still a n00b could you tell me if it really is an issue?
weight can definitely be an issue. I normally read my Kindle naked at home, but leave it in the cover if I am out and about reading

Quote:

the Oberons do not fold back like the medge. there is a way to prop it at a table and read, handy at a restaurant. I had a medge and it was kind of cool to fold it back and slide your hand in, this won't work like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I haven't got my Oberon cover yet, it's still at customs, but on the Oberon website there's a video and they show that the casing can be folded back without a problem (around 5:27).

I ordered the Medici casing in chocolate, hopefully it'll arrive soon, but Dutch customs and mail aren't very fast when it comes to international mail.
it is a little different

P.S. maia is a girl and what she didn't tell you is that she broke it when hitting herself on the head with her kindle
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #622
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It can be folded back, but not ask you fold a paper.

Quote:

Still it hasn't arrived?? But that was years ago when you announced on Vent and Rant? Geee, I'd take some hammers and axes to the Customs office to talk some sense into their heads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
P.S. maia is a girl and what she didn't tell you is that she broke it when hitting herself on the head with her kindle
Er... I was kind of embarrassed and worked my way hard to hide the incident and there you were, revealing it to the world!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #623
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Er... I was kind of embarrassed and worked my way hard to hide the incident and there you were, revealing it to the world!
only because I STILL can't figure out how you did it!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #624
maianhvk
whimsical

Well, you know the moment when you're reading a book and completely indulge in it and your hands are at their own will?

When I'm like that everything in my reach is at risk.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #625
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I just have to say that it has never occurred to me to hit myself over the head with a book while reading... *shrug*
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #626
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I just have to say that it has never occurred to me to hit myself over the head with a book while reading... *shrug*
KK, when you put it like that it means completely different! I didn't exactly "hit" myself. I usually tap on my head with various things: pencils, highlighters, cell... It happened to be my kindle, the screen side
Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #627
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Still it hasn't arrived?? But that was years ago when you announced on Vent and Rant? Geee, I'd take some hammers and axes to the Customs office to talk some sense into their heads!
When possible I try to avoid using USPS, but the courier service from UPS offered by Oberon was between $75 and $82 .

I checked various Dutch forums and on average it takes 8-14 days for a USPS package to clear through customs (which is btw not real customs but a special department of the mail company), but it can take up to 2 months if they don't trust the papers and you have to send bills and stuff the show what it really is and how much it cost. The last time I had something send to my by USPS (a casing for my Sony) it took 1,5 to 2 week iirc.

I'm obsessively checking the status page several times a day (USPS is also known for their slow updates) and try to be patient.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #628
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
When possible I try to avoid using USPS, but the courier service from UPS offered by Oberon was between $75 and $82 .

I checked various Dutch forums and on average it takes 8-14 days for a USPS package to clear through customs (which is btw not real customs but a special department of the mail company), but it can take up to 2 months if they don't trust the papers and you have to send bills and stuff the show what it really is and how much it cost. The last time I had something send to my by USPS (a casing for my Sony) it took 1,5 to 2 week iirc.

I'm obsessively checking the status page several times a day (USPS is also known for their slow updates) and try to be patient.
Oh. Really. And there I thought that Customs in my country is difficult!

"USPS is known for slow updates" <----- What? They even update the tracking?
During the 1.5 week that I waited for my Oberon cover, the tracking number they gave me was for nothing!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #629
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh. Really. And there I thought that Customs in my country is difficult!

"USPS is known for slow updates" <----- What? They even update the tracking?
During the 1.5 week that I waited for my Oberon cover, the tracking number they gave me was for nothing!
Mine is update, though not since last Monday 11pm. USPS packages are handed over to the biggest mail company and they're not fast with custom clearance. Companies as UPS take care of the customs themselves.

Plus I had the bad luck Oberon shipped the cover the day before the Labour Day holiday so it took longer than normal for it to arrive in the Netherlands too.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #630
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
KK, when you put it like that it means completely different! I didn't exactly "hit" myself. I usually tap on my head with various things: pencils, highlighters, cell... It happened to be my kindle, the screen side
I try to avoid hitting my head with ANYTHING! so deliberately knocking anything on it seems a bit odd