Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #586
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjain View Post
Where did you guys get a screen protector that fits the aura? Or did you custom cut it?
I got this one, from ebay UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cover-Up-U...item2332117d45
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #587
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Measuring with a tape measure from diagonal corner to corner the aura screen is exactly 6 inches.
Hmmm, but it's definitely smaller than the Glo or the Touch compared side-by-side, and I measured my Touch as exactly 6 inches.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #588
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Hmmm, but it's definitely smaller than the Glo or the Touch compared side-by-side, and I measured my Touch as exactly 6 inches.
Actually no it's not, The Glo is 6" also, Prob just screen bezel making it seem smaller.
My Aura>
[Image too large - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-19-2013 at 08:04 AM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #589
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I measured them both more carefully with a ruler, and I see the issue: the aspect ratio of the screen is slightly different. The Aura screen is slightly shorter and wider than the Touch or Glo screen.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #590
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
There is a difference in the size between the Touch/Glo and the Aura screen, but to see it you need to measure the length of the screen rather than diagonally. The Aura has square corners and the Touch and Glo have slightly rounded corners so corner to corner they measure the same 6" but if you measure just the length the Aura is about 1/16th of an inch smaller, at least mine is.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #591
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
I did! =D
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #592
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
There is a difference in the size between the Touch/Glo and the Aura screen, but to see it you need to measure the length of the screen rather than diagonally. The Aura has square corners and the Touch and Glo have slightly rounded corners so corner to corner they measure the same 6" but if you measure just the length the Aura is about 1/16th of an inch smaller, at least mine is.
All screens are measured on the diagonal for screen sizes though, I suppose to account for different aspect ratios. The Aura must be slightly wider then if it's not as long to account for the 6" screen measurements on the diagonal.
EDIT**Just read FJames post above, at last we agree

Last edited by gargoyle67; 11-18-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #593
kingjain
Enthusiast
kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks! I'm debating...not sure if I'll need one if my case ever arrives as it seems to throughly cover protect the screen when closed. But it does seem like many are having problems with those tiny scratches appearing at the top of the screen after no wear at all..
kingjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #594
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Thanks! I'm debating...not sure if I'll need one if my case ever arrives as it seems to throughly cover protect the screen when closed. But it does seem like many are having problems with those tiny scratches appearing at the top of the screen after no wear at all..
I don't have a new Aura, but while they are described as scratches, I think what you are referring to is related to the screen structure (likely the light guide or touch grid) rather than actual scratches occurring from use.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #595
kingjain
Enthusiast
kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kingjain solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I don't have a new Aura, but while they are described as scratches, I think what you are referring to is related to the screen structure (likely the light guide or touch grid) rather than actual scratches occurring from use.
Ah i see. I've noticed that the top 1 inch of the screen has a noticeable "coarse" look under certain lighting conditions compared to the rest of the screen.
kingjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #596
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Ah i see. I've noticed that the top 1 inch of the screen has a noticeable "coarse" look under certain lighting conditions compared to the rest of the screen.
And for me it makes the text look "fuzzy" for the top 1" or so.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #597
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Got the Aura last week. I'm returning it. I really like the light and the flat bezel but really miss physical page turn buttons. Turns they are a deal breaker for me. I didn't realize how often I use my reader one handed. Also I have small hands and the Aura is a little bit wider. Just enough to not be comfortable in my hand. Wish that B&N had kept micro SD card storage or that Sony would add front lighting. Guess I'm going to being looking at Pocket or Icarus.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #598
gargoyle67
Addict

I can turn pages and hold the Aura fine with one hand and I haven't got particularly large hands. It does help having a nice cover though
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #599
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
It is not about small hands but time for adapting to new different brand reader and stop fixating on what is missing. Every device is a little different both good and bad from user point of view. It can take 2 weeks or more of use to feel comfortable your new reader. Swipe to turn page works for forward or back page turns without reaching to other side of reader to tap page turn.

Yes, Sony made great readers and I like their software features like swipe up or down for different page turn direction in addition to left and right swipes.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #600
gargoyle67
Addict

I hold the Aura in my right hand and use my thumb to swipe, You don't have to swipe the whole width of the screen btw. But as you say it's a different technique to buttons, That takes getting used to.

Last edited by gargoyle67; 11-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.