Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #46
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles;
Although you may have a genuine reason, one that actually makes sense, that is not what the OP was talking about and you damn well know it.
The joke must be on me then, because from post one--antagonistic posts from you and jswinden excepted--I've been under the impression that this thread has been about USB Power Supplies for PRS 350/650--that's what the thread is called, that's what the first post says, and silly me for thinking that was its purpose and that I'd find some useful into here. Maybe you two have some history with the OP that I'm not aware of. Maybe it just makes you feel awesome to come around and contribute to the frustration rather than the conversation. I don't know, and I don't care. But now you've reached a point of telling me what I damn well do and don't know, and that really has me mystified--I mean really. Have we met somewhere before? Have you been speaking to my mother? WTF?

Micro USB cellphone chargers work. We're morons for not rushing out to buy one and let this thread go to the tumbleweeds. We get it. Thank you for your contribution.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #47
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
In a moment of weakness I gave in and bought the official (over-priced) Sony charger, and I am happy to report it definitely works with the PRS-650.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
In a moment of weakness I gave in and bought the official (over-priced) Sony charger, and I am happy to report it definitely works with the PRS-650.
Well done Enjoy it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #49
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock;
the official (over-priced) Sony charger, and I am happy to report it definitely works with the PRS-650.
Hahaha. Good to hear!
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #50
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I have just tested a charger from Nook which has been reported to work, and it does have a short between D+ and D- pins (pins 2 and 3 of the USB-A socket). So, so far it seems Sony is following the USB charging spec:
1) iPod charger: doesn't have a short, doesn't charge
2) Nook charger: has a short, does charge
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #51
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
This one does NOT work

I know that this one from The Source by CC (aka RadioShack) in Canada does NOT work with my wife's PRS-650...

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1419902

I get a largely blank screen, that does say "USB connected", but no indication that it's charging.

I don't get why Cheeseandpickles & jswinden have such issues with this thread!! The purpose of this thread seems pretty clear to me - post which USB chargers work and which ones don't! I get the point that micro USB cell phone chargers work, but, along with the original poster, I would like to know alternatives.

I just wish the AC/USB adapter I already have (i.e. the one above) worked! It's funny though, it works to charge a SONY MP3 player, but not the reader

Last edited by slow1234; 09-26-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added cheese and swinden comment...
slow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #52
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
i have an htc evo phone. that charger works on the sony new 650. anyone else try it?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #53
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
The iPad charger doesn't work with my 350. This is what happens:

- "USB connected" appears above a blank screen
- The red charging light does NOT come on
- About a minute later, the message "Charging Stopped. The Reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected" appears
by the way my red charging light has never come on? has anybodys?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #54
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow1234 View Post
I know that this one from The Source by CC (aka RadioShack) in Canada does NOT work with my wife's PRS-650...

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1419902

I get a largely blank screen, that does say "USB connected", but no indication that it's charging.

I don't get why Cheeseandpickles & jswinden have such issues with this thread!! The purpose of this thread seems pretty clear to me - post which USB chargers work and which ones don't! I get the point that micro USB cell phone chargers work, but, along with the original poster, I would like to know alternatives.

I just wish the AC/USB adapter I already have (i.e. the one above) worked! It's funny though, it works to charge a SONY MP3 player, but not the reader
Actually you have me twisted. I couldn't care less if you lot want to piss in the wind. It just makes more sense to me to buy a $5 cellphones charger, than to buy a USB charger that will run you for not much less than the actual charger your trying to save money not buying. To be honest, the idea of one charger charging all devices equally is a pipe dream. While I'm sure there are some, but they are few and far between and IMHO not worth the effort.

I don't know why you don't just go ham and suggest this http://www.powermat.com/us/powermat-2x.html

Then you would never have to worry about charging any electronic device again.

Anyway I'm done with this thread. Whatever.

Last edited by Cheeseandpickles; 09-26-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #55
flyingpostman
flyingpostman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
But amazingly doesn't charge the 505 (using its mini-usb cable). Sony drives me nuts.
flyingpostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You don't pump wattage into anything, a device draws as much current as it needs... it's voltage that's crucial. A PSU that supplies 5V and has 10A available will still only supply what a device requires... if it's 2A then that's what it'll take, if 500mA then the same but if 15A then it'll take 10A and whilst it might want another 5A, it won't get them. It'll either burn out the PSU or, more likely with overload protection being common, just get the 10A (or it could just shut the PSU down) but you don't get 10A flooding into a device that needs 2A...
I have an iPhone 3G. My wife has an iPad and an iPhone 3G. Now, if we use the AC adapter that comes with the iPhone, the iPhone charges just fine. But if we use the AC adapter that comes with the iPad, the iPhone doesn't show that the device has charged unless it is rebooted. So why then isn't the 3G taking just the power it needs and properly working to show it is taking a charge?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hey, I appreciate your opinion that you think this thread is unnecessary...but then why keep coming back?

There's really no need to be rude to the OP. I personally appreciate having a dedicated thread - rather than having to sort through others that cover other topics. I don't want to spend $30 on an overpriced charger.

And before you tell me to use my iPod charger, I don't have an iPod, or any other Apple toy. So far, none of the gadgets I have use this new-ish tip. So I appreciate a list of available chargers that I might want to buy for less than Sony's, when the time comes.
Suggestion... if you have any USB wall warts that do not have a dedicated cable attached (has a detachable cable and has a standard USB plug on it) then give it a try with the cable Sony supplied and see if it works. No harm, no $30 outlay (maybe).
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko73 View Post
For those in Australia I can confirm that this model works:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/E9553

Its a generic micro usb charger for mobiles and at $29.98 is $20.00 cheaper than the Sony branded charger. It does exactly the same thing i.e. charges the battery from a mains supply allowing you to read at the same time.
Your link is not working. I get taken to the main page of the site.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles View Post
while I have no problem being seen as a jerk (its really not that serious mate)

I would love you to show one example of a micro-usb charger that doesnt work with the Prs-650.

dont worry, ill wait
Try this example. And yes, I'll wait until you finish eating your hat and some crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
I can't get the 5v charger that came with my iPhone to work. It says "USB connected" above a blank screen for about a minute, then "Charging stopped. The reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected." The charging light doesn't come on either. Same thing happens with my iPad charger and the Rocketfish USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my car.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #60
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have an iPhone 3G. My wife has an iPad and an iPhone 3G. Now, if we use the AC adapter that comes with the iPhone, the iPhone charges just fine. But if we use the AC adapter that comes with the iPad, the iPhone doesn't show that the device has charged unless it is rebooted. So why then isn't the 3G taking just the power it needs and properly working to show it is taking a charge?
Yes, hgwlackey said pretty much the same thing. Now I understand why the pictures of the new charger "looked odd" to me.

I definitely had to do a big !

I do have one that I bought for my Dell Axim a few years ago (or so, jeez it could be five years now!) I look forward to trying it out. If the new Readers ever get here...!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote