Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #46
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
what? no comments about font resizing? the #1 issue on everyone's mind?
Font resizing works great on the few books I checked. Good job.

One question though. Do covers show up when in sleep mode now? Or just when the Kobo is powered off?
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #47
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Font resizing works great on the few books I checked. Good job.

One question though. Do covers show up when in sleep mode now? Or just when the Kobo is powered off?

To tack onto this question: does sleep mode use any power at all? or is it just different 'off' state?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #48
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Only in the sleep mode. The powered off screen is a generic one.

Last edited by Stinger; 07-01-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #49
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
To tack onto this question: does sleep mode use any power at all? or is it just different 'off' state?
Sleep uses less power than being on, and can resume fast. After 'sleeping' for 15 minutes, the device will power off, and then use no power.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #50
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I'd assume it's a 'deep sleep' state, still draining a trickle of power to keep the ram active, but very little else.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
After 'sleeping' for 15 minutes, the device will power off, and then use no power.
I would love it if you could give us an option to change this hard 15min timer. I would defintely like to kick it up to, at least, 30-60mins.

Last edited by Stinger; 07-01-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #51
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
It did reset all my finished books to either new or at some random page. I had to "finish" them again on both the reader and the desktop app in order to put them back into the bookshelf. After a bit of work, I now have a clean 'I'm Reading' list.
I guess now the push starts for getting some sort of management with the "I'm reading" list. I do dislike how new books stay on your "I'm reading" list, just wish I could put them away (and leave the bookmark in any I'm reading too, but then again I'm a bit ADHD)
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #52
jimr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Both!
Hmmmm....I don't get a cover when it's powered off, only in sleep mode.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #53
MrBig
MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Anyone have any idea what I should do with this then? I'm probably outside of my return/exchange period.
MrBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #54
Stinger
Asha'man

Quote:
Hmmmm....I don't get a cover when it's powered off, only in sleep mode.
Doh! you're right
Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #55
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
Anyone have any idea what I should do with this then? I'm probably outside of my return/exchange period.
Contact our customer support team, explain the situation, and we will get you an SD card that can fix your device. help@kobobooks.com
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #56
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Sleep uses less power than being on, and can resume fast. After 'sleeping' for 15 minutes, the device will power off, and then use no power.
And then take 'forever' to reboot back to the 'I'm reading' menu...

My Hanlins (Bebook 1 and Astak Pocket EZ Reader) both will sleep for a week or more with no noticeable battery drop; I can put it down and come back any time later to resume reading. That is what you should be aiming for. Or at least let me decide how long to let it sleep before shutdown - 1, 6, 12, 24 hours.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #57
jimr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Doh! you're right
I'm gonna miss the cover. But then again, at least I'll know it's powered off and not using any power. I guess we can't win 'em all.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #58
Musketeer
Musketeer began at the beginning.

If you are on a page of a book and you put the device to sleep, where does the device wake up to?

Mine went to my book list (not 'I'm reading' but the actual list of books starting at the "A" page). Is this just me or does everyone get the same? It would be better if it woke up to the same place it was when it went to sleep (i.e. the page you were reading).
Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #59
jimr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
If you are on a page of a book and you put the device to sleep, where does the device wake up to?

Mine went to my book list (not 'I'm reading' but the actual list of books starting at the "A" page). Is this just me or does everyone get the same? It would be better if it woke up to the same place it was when it went to sleep (i.e. the page you were reading).
Hmmm...mine goes back to the page I was on. Are you sure you're not pressing the button too long and turning if off instead?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #60
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thanks to the Kobo team well done!!!! Love the sleep mode.

One problem a free ebook I downloaded from Harper Collins which I was able to read prior to the update now comes up with an alert "The content you are trying to view is locked."

I authorized my ereader using ADE and even the Kobo desktop app and still I can't read the book. HELP!
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote