Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #46
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I don't know, the fact that it can't read most other web stores ePub's regardless? (And we're still waiting on word on other eReader apps)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #47
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
(Yes, even if you buy an ebook from Webscriptions or Fictionwise for the Kindle, you *MUST* have it sent through Amazon to wirelessly download.)
Not true. You can drag and drop stuff on to it by hooking the Kindle up to a PC via usb.

Also, places like Feedbooks also do direct download using the Kindle's web browser, so you can get public domain books wirelessly without e-mailing through amazon.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #48
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
No, you can put them into ONE PC or Mac's iTunes, without a load of messing around. Oh, and I hope the content supports all the devices you're copying to...

Apps are licensed to a SINGLE device.

Apps are licensed to a single account*, not device. We have the same apps on 3 iPhones, both free and purchased.

The old DRM music had a 5 computer limit per single account. The current iTunes plus music has no limitations on computers or other devices at all.

Movies are limited to 5 computers. No limits on mobile devices.

*That's iTunes account, not phone account.

Last edited by kjk; 01-28-2010 at 04:19 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #49
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #50
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Not true. You can drag and drop stuff on to it by hooking the Kindle up to a PC via usb.

Also, places like Feedbooks also do direct download using the Kindle's web browser, so you can get public domain books wirelessly without e-mailing through amazon.
But you have to be CONNECTED, PHYSICALLY, to a computer to do so. And given that I can pretty much do the same thing with my iPod Touch, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do so with the iPad - as long as I invest in a USB adapter.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #51
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Yes, I know Apple conflate "account" with "a number of iPhones and iPod Touches owned by one person". This is not legal here because it's deceptive... but the word "we" shows you're breaking even Apple's rules on licensing.
You specifically posted "Apps are licensed to a SINGLE device." I don't see how that is even remotely accurate.

Yes, we have three iPhones, used by three different people. I bought all three phones. How am I breaking the rules again?

Last edited by kjk; 01-28-2010 at 04:44 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #52
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
True, was just clarifying.

Not a knock on the iPad, as I'm sure there will be drag and drop options with an adapter as well.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #53
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Seriously, people complaining about the specs need to use their heads. Apple has released it at a VERY low price, this is targeting devices like the Kindles. They could have made it 1080p, HDMI, 2 cameras but the list price would have been $999.

They have priced it cheaply, an entry level device for people who want to do internet, apps, ebooks, magazines, TV, music, video/movies, basic spreadsheets with a tiny device using their hands.

If you don't like the fact it doesn't have HDMI, go buy the other 10" tablet with 1080P HDMI for $500. Oh wait there isn't one?

I suggest you take a good hard look at other reading and tablet devices in this price range. How many of them are color, play games, do internet/music/movies/apps/spreadsheets/assisted gps at this price. This will CRUSH many new color readers because consumers can either buy a device that reads books and does basic internet or they can buy an ipad that does an insane number of things.

Last edited by fugazied; 01-28-2010 at 04:48 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #54
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I believe the device overall is a huge fail....
It boggles the mind, that people make such statements.

Comparing the iPad to cheap netbooks is ridiculous. There is not a single netbook I've seen, which I'd consider pleasant to use daily. There is a reason why they are cheap, and why they haven't caught on with those who can afford something else.

The iPad is a device dedicated to do a few things, and do them well. Watching movies, playing games, reading and browsing the web. All in a portable, sleek device. That's it. If you want something else, buy a good laptop.

The UI is an improved version of the iPhone UI, which is great. The screen is IPS, which is different, better and much more expensive, than the cheap LCDs found on cheap netbooks.

The iPad is priced competitively, if you actually understand what you are comparing. It's certainly not perfect, but it's the best thing out there right now.

P.S. If you don't like iTunes for some personal reason, then Google and you'll find a ton of apps to mount your iPhone on your desktop. Most are free - I like PhoneView.

For video, the iPhone supports H.264, MPEG-4 in .mp4, .m4v, and .mov, which is fine for most modern users. If you don't know how to convert, then Google and you'll find apps like YXFlash, which allow you to play xvid, dvix and avi, as well as Flash videos.

Really, no different than what I used to have to do for my old HTCs running WM, just much more elegant.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #55
DawnFalcon
Banned

Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #56
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If the devices are in the possession of three different people, regardless of who bought them, then you need three licences per Apple's rules. Not one. I know a number of devs are now enforcing it via in-app downloads....
HM, where did you get this?

I have purchased a good number of apps, from $0.99 ones to Navigon's $100+ navigation app with Live Traffic, and ALL of them appear automatically on both mine and my wife's iPhones.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #57
DawnFalcon
Banned

Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #58
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
HM, where did you get this?
Apple's licence agreement, the for-pay app "schedule".
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #59
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Apple's licence agreement, the for-pay app "schedule".
Yeah, well.... I'd be surprised if a similar "may" clause did not appear in every other platform's agreement. Show me the apps that make you buy per device, rather than per account.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #60
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
ibooks is not different from kindle- it will use its own drm that no other device will be able to read natively. B&N is different- their epub has it's own drm BUT it is being added to ADE support so that any device that supports ADE will be able to read their books as well as everyone else's ADE epubs.

Publisher's fault I say. they should have got together behind one DRM strategy along time ago. letting device makers decide the drm they use is the problem.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-28-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote