Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #46
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablettweet View Post
I do a quick comparison table about this 3 e-reader. .

This is what i found.
- Kindle DX has a biggest screen size.

- Nook & Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition has a touchscreen keyboard while Kindle DX only has a Qwerty keyboard.

- Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition is a lightest e-reader among this three.

- Kindle DX is a biggest e-reader.

- Kindle has a best screen resolution 1200*824 pixel

- Kindle has a largest 4 gb memory.

- Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition has a longest battery life – 2 weeks (no wireless on Sony).

So, think about it ;]
Astounding. Simply astounding.

Of course, these basic (and random) tidbits indicate nothing about the actual user experience on these devices. Oh, wait., There are dozens of forums here that actually do that!!!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #47
cnewsgrp
cnewsgrp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Does anyone know if I can get Kindle books on Sony ebook reader? I just purchased a PRS-600?
cnewsgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post
Does anyone know if I can get Kindle books on Sony ebook reader? I just purchased a PRS-600?
No. You cannot.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post
It is possible if you remove the DRM from the Kindle books. Of course, you have to know how to do that.

Why not just buy ebooks that the Sony can read without worrying about it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #50
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
FYI: Sony just gave everyone who has purchased a book through them $10 credit to their account. It's to celebrate their 10 millionth book sold. Also, a few weeks ago, Target was selling $25 Sony ebook reader gift cards for $15 (40% savings). I know there were a lot of us on these boards who bought a whole bunch of them. Seems with all these other discounts, the price difference between Amazon and Sony is a wash in my view. Also, I can often find books for my Sony Daily Edition at cheaper prices than Amazon by checking other site, like Booksonboard.com and others.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #51
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
You will find people that prefer the Kindle, and those who prefer the Sony. No one is right or wrong, it's just what ever you find the best for your needs.

With that being said, I have to say that I am very happy that I purchased the 900. I enjoy the look, feel, work flow, and the quality of it. I have purchased several books from Sony's bookstore and I have no complaints at all.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #52
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure25 View Post
FYI: Sony just gave everyone who has purchased a book through them $10 credit to their account. It's to celebrate their 10 millionth book sold...
That's if an ebook was purchased on May 5, 2010.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #53
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
You should get a Sony because its prettier. That's about all you need to know
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A Sony will allow you to borrow ePub from the library without the need to strip the DRM and then have to convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #55
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
One of the biggest reason for my Sony purchase is the expandable memory via SD card or MemoryStick Duo Pro. And as another poster said, I use my reader for reading. Nothing else. I browse the web with my PC or laptop. Email? ditto.

Wireless delivery was not a factor b/c I alway have at least my laptop near. Besides, I like being able to shop different ebook sellers for the best prices.

But that's just my 2cents. It just comes down to what features you prefer Happy shopping!

PS. the huge keyboard at the bottom of the Kindle was a big turn off for me. I couldn't help but think, that space is better used for reading. JMO

Last edited by glowhappy; 05-20-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: additional comment
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #56
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
Mine is a unique experience. I purchased the Sony PRS-600 for the wife for Christmas. I loved the device but hated the Sony Reader Software so much that I sent the reader itself back. I turned around and bought her the Kindle 2 to replace it. She loves the Kindle 2 but is someone who buys all the latest books and not interested in many of the older but free books.

As for me, I've been reading most of the FREE books online with the MobiPocket Reader. I happened to see a deal for a Sony Pocket Reader (PRS-300) and purchased it. I love it because I use it with Calibre and don't have anything thing to do with the Sony Reader Software. I have loaded over 100 books into the 300 and am having a ball with it.

So if your main interest is reading Free books, I'd say buy a Sony Reader but if you strictly want to be able to buy new books and have them sent to your device, then buy a Kindle. Knock yourself out! :-)

Calibre Link = http://calibre-ebook.com/
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #57
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I like the Sony Daily Reader better than the Kindle because even though the size is about the same, the screen is larger due to the lack of a keyboard. Plus it has a nice cover. The Kindle Dx is too big for me to carry around so the 900 is the best option out there for me.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #58
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayw1pi View Post
So if your main interest is reading Free books, I'd say buy a Sony Reader but if you strictly want to be able to buy new books and have them sent to your device, then buy a Kindle. Knock yourself out! :-)

Calibre Link = http://calibre-ebook.com/
I have a lot of free books on my Kindles. What free books can you get for the Sony that you can't get for Kindle? I usually use manybooks.net, but feedbooks, gutenberg and other public domain websites with free public domain books have them in mobi (which Kindle uses) format. Then there are all the free books that Amazon offers.

I think the only reason to buy a Sony over a Kindle is to read library ebooks. I have a Cybook Opus for this. I'd like to have the pink Sony 300 pocket reader too. The looks of the pink 300 is another good reason to buy it!
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #59
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I was considering the Kindle briefly. I was also considering the nook, before I bought my reader.

Here's why I turned down the Kindle:
  1. My area only has the lowest quality wireless through it, so I felt that was a fairly useless feature... I have no interest in the internet on my e-reader, either.
  2. It's bulkier... The keyboard adds too much to the device. Simply too large.
  3. Amazon's DRM makes my brain hurt, I don't want to be part of that.
  4. Finally, it was 250 dollars when I last checked.

The nook was a lot better. I decided against it, though, too, for a few reasons:
  1. The internet at Barnes and Noble is a useless feature to me. I wouldn't use the Barnes and Noble store anyway.
  2. When demoing it, I, personally, found the touch screen on the bottom distracting.
  3. I still didn't enjoy the form factor.
  4. It was also around 250 dollars.

All in all, I chose the PRS-600.
It was cheaper (still is), offered the same size screen, was the smallest and lightest device of the three, and had a touchscreen which allowed note taking. As a student in a literature class, this has been invaluable.

I've had no problems with the PRS-600. You can buy the PRS-600 and still have enough money left over to get your mom something nice for her birthday. Isn't that reason enough?

Don't you love your mum?
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #60
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Maybe you'd like to watch this video

I think this video about Sony E-reader is very helpful, if you are thinking to buy e-reader. But how about wait for Kindle 3 I think we are almost there ! (a few months, perhaps ?)
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote