Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #46
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
He originally estimated the completion of Jordan's last book would be about 250,000 works.
[bolding mine]
I fear you are correct.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #47
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
[bolding mine]
I fear you are correct.

______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #48
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
L.E. Modesitt Jr's "The Parafaith War" is an excellent book about race, warfare, religion, and a bunch of other things.

It's sequel "The Ethos Effect" is preachy, didactic, contentious, annoying and should never have seen the light of day.

Of course, that's just my opinion. YMMV.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #49
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Anything in first person . I can't stand first person. I hated finding awesome reviews about a book/series onlyto find out its in evil first person -- they need warning labels. Assasin's Apprentice, Kushiel, etc.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #50
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Hmm... I lost nested quotes... so apologies for the hatchet job here. Note: all smileys will be held until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Another thread I can say Wheel of Time in
I've made it through all of them thus far. I'm jus debating whether to do a re-read of the earlier books before attempting the completion.
And here's the good news... You have time to decide!

Quote:
Quote:
EatingPie:
I believe Dune Messiah inspired Robert Jordan. Two million pages on walking into a throne room, when the book itself is only two hundred pages!
Dune Messiah wasn't that bad, but it doesn't really stand alone.
Man, you obviously haven't read it in a while and need to read it again...

Oh, wait, nevermind!

Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, the badness of Dune Messiah has obviously been mis-ascribed. It was a terrible book, plain and simple... nothing at all to do with it being a middle-of-the-trilogy (infinite-ology). See Empire Strikes Back as proof that that's no excuse.
Since I don't think Star Wars has aged well, and I consider some parts execrable (like The Phantom Menace), I'll avoid using that as a comparison.
Ah, Empire Strikes Back is the best in the series. Of course, Lucas didn't write the script, nor did he direct it... funny how that worked out.

I could also cite The Two Towers as a good second -- the book, NOT the movie!

Quote:
Have you read Herbert's _Under Pressure_? (Also published as The Dragon in the Sea.) Herbert has written other things besides Dune.
Dune is certainly Herbert's magnum opus, but it's far from all he wrote.
Oh, I was very well aware of Herbert's other work. It's just that the Dunes went so horribly, horribly wrong, I could never bring myself to trust Herbert with the written word again.

And if anyone thinks I'm ever picking up a non-Wheel Of Time Jordan book, I would say, for similar reasons, they're absolutely nuts!

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 11-06-2009 at 06:08 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #51
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Anyway, the badness of Dune Messiah has obviously been mis-ascribed. It was a terrible book, plain and simple... nothing at all to do with it being a middle-of-the-trilogy (infinite-ology). See Empire Strikes Back as proof that that's no excuse.

I have never been able to understand Herbert. He wrote one absolutely astounding work of science fiction. And every single follow-up, including Children of Doom, was not just bad, but absolutely horrible. How did he do that? (I'm even more shocked to hear that Messiah and Children were part of Dune originally.... I find that super hard to believe because the quality drops off so heavily.)
I'm 50 years old and to this day Dune Messiah was the only fiction book that I started but didn't finish. I read Dune so far back I only remember that I found it an excellent book, quite enjoyable. Nothing constructive is left in my memory as to why I couldn't contine reading Dune Messiah, just a feeling that it had been dragging on...

As it stands now I don't think I'll be revisiting this series anytime soon.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-06-2009 at 06:59 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #52
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles View Post
I'll toss Ender's Game into the ring. Right after Speaker for the Dead that should have been nipped in the bud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
While most all the sequels pale in comparison to Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow was great.
I liked all three of those, and would also not want to leave out Xenocide. It's been a while since I read it and I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as the first two, but when I reread Speaker, I was surprised how much didn't happen--things I had remembered as part of that novel actually took place in Xenocide.

I generally avoid series as a rule, but I do have one new suggestion for this list. I've always liked The Giver, but it's sequel Gathering Blue was one of the worst books I've ever read. There's a third book as well, but I haven't had the strength to try it.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #53
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
... I like the world that Terry Goodkind created, and a few of the books. I like the t.v. series as well, that is actually what got me reading the books ...
What?!? There's a TV series? I was reading Goodkind years ago, waiting for every book to be released and then buying in hardcover; and then I was bored with one of his offerings and never went back.

So, the TV series, any good? Legend of the Seeker, I see. How does a Disney-ABC production come out of this, considering all the hardcore stuff, torture and rape, Goodkind writes?
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #54
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll do you one better and say that the first book should never have been written.
I strongly disagree (about the Earthsea Trilogy). Those three books are brilliant. I recently re-read them, and they are still brilliant. I was impressed by how short they are, and how much she fit into the narrative without the story seeming rushed or incomplete. LeGuin is an excellent writer.

As for the remaining stories, Tehanu was a bit of a shock, because it was dramatically different from the rest of the stories, and much more personal, from what I understand. It doesn't make a smooth series, but I have no problem with writing reflecting personal growth or re-using the same setting (she created it, after all). I haven't read Tehanu or the other one in a long time, so I will need to go back, because I can't remember if they stand on their own as stories. I did enjoy one of the short stories that was set in Roke, but I wouldn't really call it part of the series.

I am re-reading the Chronicles of Amber (as I mentioned in the other thread), and I have to say it is one of the best *stories* I think I have read - suspense, intrigue, swashbuckling, sex, magic, mystery, betrayal, supernatural monsters and creepiness. Well done, and I like Zelazny's style (from tough-guy film noir to purple prose on the same page, or even same paragraph). That said, my memory of the second half the series (after Courts of Chaos) was that it was confused, had lots of people rushing around, and lots of characters appearing and disappearing all over the place. I didn't read more than two books, though, and it had been a while since I had read the original series, so I was a little fuzzy on all the different characters. Right now, my impression is that the second series should not have been written, and the first series should stand on its own (it was five books, but they were pretty slim). I am going to give it another go when I finish the first series, and see if reading through the whole thing helps.

Last edited by llreader; 11-07-2009 at 04:06 AM.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #55
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Most of the material in the second series of Amber could be cut out without any loss - but there were many passages and little story arcs I'd hate to lose. Those books don't have to be read as a whole, as many situations and passages are delightful on their own.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #56
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
As for the remaining stories, Tehanu was a bit of a shock, because it was dramatically different from the rest of the stories, and much more personal, from what I understand.
As I recall (and it's been a while since I read it,) Tehanu is essentially about death. No surprise it should be perceived as different and less comfortable than the othrr Earthsea books.

Quote:
I am re-reading the Chronicles of Amber (as I mentioned in the other thread), and I have to say it is one of the best *stories* I think I have read - suspense, intrigue, swashbuckling, sex, magic, mystery, betrayal, supernatural monsters and creepiness. Well done, and I like Zelazny's style (from tough-guy film noir to purple prose on the same page, or even same paragraph). That said, my memory of the second half the series (after Courts of Chaos) was that it was confused, had lots of people rushing around, and lots of characters appearing and disappearing all over the place. I didn't read more than two books, though, and it had been a while since I had read the original series, so I was a little fuzzy on all the different characters. Right now, my impression is that the second series should not have been written, and the first series should stand on its own (it was five books, but they were pretty slim). I am going to give it another go when I finish the first series, and see if reading through the whole thing helps.
The second series are fun if you really liked the first, but are no great loss if you don't read them. They are essentially Roger revisiting Amber because a publisher wanted more Amber books and offered a decent amount of money. Roger commented at one point that he never expected the Amber series to be considered his magnum opus, and felt he still had major work in him. Unfortunately, he died a few years later of cancer.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #57
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlrigh View Post
What?!? There's a TV series? I was reading Goodkind years ago, waiting for every book to be released and then buying in hardcover; and then I was bored with one of his offerings and never went back.

So, the TV series, any good? Legend of the Seeker, I see. How does a Disney-ABC production come out of this, considering all the hardcore stuff, torture and rape, Goodkind writes?
It is produced and shot by the same team who did Xena and Hercules - that is what originally attracted me to the series, I am a huge Xena fan. It is also filmed in New Zealand and the background scenery is GORGEOUS! I can't recall any rape as of yet in the series, but the torture with the Mord Sith is well done. Not too graphic, but it IS torture, all right. The series is VERY loosely based on the book. A lot was changed, and I like the series a lot more than I like the books. I find the series a lot more light-hearted in tone. Caveat - In my opinion the pilot is the worst episode of the series, so keep that in mind if you choose to give it a try. Season 2 is premiering today, in fact, with some sort of 1 hour "catch me up" episode beforehand. All in all it is not a thought-provoking, disturbing show (like my other favourite this year, Joss Whedon's Dollhouse), it is more of a fun, action-adventure type of program, similar to Xena and Hercules but less campy. Cheers!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series should never have been published even starting with the first book.
It's "chick lit", Jon; you're not the target audience .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know it's best not to, but has anyone mentioned John Norman's "Gor" series yet ? The original trilogy was actually pretty reasonable Burroughs-ish fantasy, but then it turned into wierdo-fetish soft porn, and went downhill from there...
Old 11-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
I strongly disagree (about the Earthsea Trilogy). Those three books are brilliant. I recently re-read them, and they are still brilliant. I was impressed by how short they are, and how much she fit into the narrative without the story seeming rushed or incomplete. LeGuin is an excellent writer.
Completely agree. The original "Earthsea" trilogy is an all-time classic.