Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #46
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
EDIT2:

Well, one time someone bought a videogame that was 98 USD and ended paying 1500 Pesos as custom costs (thats like 110 USD for customs, more than the price of the game >.<)

Still, if Astak is sending international orders for USPS i dont think customs get too high, heck they may even let it slip and at the end i will not be paying anything =D
ya, it may vary depending on the shippnig method, but since SEPOMEX sucks big time (a letter in the same city could take over 3 weeks to arrive, while here in the US it takes only 1 or 2 days) I would assume that they would use FEDEX (like they did here in the US) or UPS.

good luck though. Do let us know. If it is cheap, I might send some to my relatives over there...
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #47
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
l (i mean, Astak is in US and the product is named Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro right?)

And yeah, i bought it at 199 price, plus the 40 from shipment =P (total of 239)
we got an email with our shipping number , my parner guesses our pocket pro will arrive around the 8th.

im planing on useing my birthday money to buy myself a pocket pro. ive been hinting quite a bit.

sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #48
kanguro
kanguro began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro (I can feel it now)
Thumbs down

My Pocket Pro is flying over the atlantic right now according to USPS tracker (to Barcelona). It's been marked as gift so it's most probable it bypasses customs.

Real real soon now.

Last edited by kanguro; 09-03-2009 at 05:12 PM.
kanguro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #49
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
NAFTA stands for North American Free Trade Agreement which includes Mexico, US and Canada. So no, Australia is not part of it. If it were they would have to change the name too.
Was aware of name. Recalling australia signing a FTA with the US, and that quickly changed a lot of copyright rights in favour of the publisher/producer.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #50
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
I just got mine today. While I'm waiting for it to charge here are my very early impressions from a few minutes playing around.

1. Once I actually got to hold it in my hand it's smaller than I expected. It will actually (just) fit in the back pocket of my jeans, not that I would carry it there.

2. Despite the small size the screen seems to accommodate a reasonable amount of text. The image is nice and clear and plenty readable.

3. I know I've seen this comment elsewhere, but the default text size for epub is really tiny. The next step up is just a little bit too big. A little more fine tuning would be nice.

4. It seems to handle the pdfs I've got, better than I was afraid. I looked at a couple from suvudu, and they were head and shoulders better than some of the conversions I tried to make when I first downloaded them. The only slight oddity I noticed was the large elaborate first character in a chapter was knocked out of place when I increased the font size.

5. I wasn't able to connect the Pocket Pro to my computer. It tried, but driver installation failed. For the moment It's not a big deal because I can just move everything onto the SD card that was included. I almost hesitate to mention this because I'm 99% certain that it's due to an ongoing issue with my computer that I'm trying to fix rather than the Pocket Pro, but on the off chance that it's not I'll throw it out there in case somebody else is having the same problem.

6. I haven't tested TTS or the MP3 player yet.

7. No epub doesn't support hyperlinks. Tested with the mobileread version of Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link. A .mobi version of the same book does though.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #51
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
5. I wasn't able to connect the Pocket Pro to my computer. It tried, but driver installation failed.
I had the same problem (Windows XP laptop), until I switched to the supplied USB cable and then it worked first time. The USB cable I used initially had always worked with my EZ Reader Basic. So I think the problem is noise on the cable (perhaps generated by the Pocket Pro), and it is worth trying another cable if you have one.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #52
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I had the same problem (Windows XP laptop), until I switched to the supplied USB cable and then it worked first time. The USB cable I used initially had always worked with my EZ Reader Basic. So I think the problem is noise on the cable (perhaps generated by the Pocket Pro), and it is worth trying another cable if you have one.
I saw your comment earlier, and made sure to use the supplied USB cable. I really do think it's because my computer is bit FUBARed at the moment.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #53
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Wallcraft, based on all your previous posts and the level of expertise you've displayed, I am looking forward to an indepth review from you. Please!!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #54
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur

A couple further thoughts now that I've been reading on the PP for awhile. (Note that I've also been drinking.)

8. There are a couple instances of, shall we say, amusingly translated English. The menu option to turn on TTS is "English speaking". The option for the MP3 player is "Music Playing...". Unused bookmarks are denoted as Bookmark not be used.

9. Apparently, TTS doesn't work with mobi? I knew it didn't work with ADE, but this surprised me. The only file that I got to show the appropriate menu option was rtf. I still don't know what TTS sounds like because I didn't plug the ear buds in, and there's apparently no built in speaker.

10. ADE DRM is fully justified. From what I'd read elsewhere I expected left justification only. Maybe I confused it with the Sony readers.

11. The page numbers on the right side in ADE really aren't bad. Personally I kind of like a consistent measure of how far I am through the book.

12. Rotate only works with ADE?

13. I was a little worried about the rocker switch on the right side on first inspection. I seemed recessed pretty far to my large hands, but after playing with the reader in various configurations it seems functional enough. Personally, I think I would prefer another set of page turn buttons instead.

14. 1632 starts off a little slow, but is better than I initially expected.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #55
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
A couple further thoughts now that I've been reading on the PP for awhile. (Note that I've also been drinking.)

8. There are a couple instances of, shall we say, amusingly translated English. The menu option to turn on TTS is "English speaking". The option for the MP3 player is "Music Playing...". Unused bookmarks are denoted as Bookmark not be used.

9. Apparently, TTS doesn't work with mobi? I knew it didn't work with ADE, but this surprised me. The only file that I got to show the appropriate menu option was rtf. I still don't know what TTS sounds like because I didn't plug the ear buds in, and there's apparently no built in speaker.

10. ADE DRM is fully justified. From what I'd read elsewhere I expected left justification only. Maybe I confused it with the Sony readers.

11. The page numbers on the right side in ADE really aren't bad. Personally I kind of like a consistent measure of how far I am through the book.

13. I was a little worried about the rocker switch on the right side on first inspection. I seemed recessed pretty far to my large hands, but after playing with the reader in various configurations it seems functional enough. Personally, I think I would prefer another set of page turn buttons instead.

14. 1632 starts off a little slow, but is better than I initially expected.
I just tried rotate with PDF and it worked

i was going to say something else but I forgot....I've been working since 8am, damn it, and it's not over yet
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #56
lynt666
Enthusiast
lynt666 began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Question

Quote:
Did i read somewhere that the 6 ezreader was 1.1 usb port & the pocket pro is 2.0. Would make sense then that your old cable failed....

Last edited by lynt666; 09-04-2009 at 11:26 PM.
lynt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #57
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
I just tried rotate with PDF and it worked

i was going to say something else but I forgot....I've been working since 8am, damn it, and it's not over yet
PDF and epub are both handled by ADE. It's .mobi that I don't see a rotate option for.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanguro View Post
My Pocket Pro is flying over the atlantic right now according to USPS tracker (to Barcelona). It's been marked as gift so it's most probable it bypasses customs.
It is a criminal offence to make a fraudulent declaration on a customs form. No reputable supplier will do so, because they risk a serious punishment if caught.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-05-2009 at 10:06 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #59
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
9. Apparently, TTS doesn't work with mobi? I knew it didn't work with ADE, but this surprised me.

9. I agree, TTS is missing from MOBI. Note that it is available for DRM-free PDF if you switch from ADE to XPDF (but not all PDFs will do well with TTS). TTS is available in all the other formats I tried, including FB2 and PalmDOC.

10. ADE is fully justified by default and can be left justified if the ePub specifies this.

12. Rotate only works for ADE and FB2. MOBI only has 3 font sizes in portrait mode. Most other ebook types have 2 or 3 font sizes, and the largest is a landscape mode (so they kind of rotate).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #60
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is a criminal offence to make a fraudulent declaration on a customs form. No reputable supplier will do so, because they risk a serious punishment if caught.
What if a person pays for the item and sends it as a gift to a relative? Would that still be considered a criminal offence.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote