Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #46
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Ill try to test Opera Mobile, a comic reader of some sort, and Microsoft Reader next. Updates coming soon...
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #47
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
If you're testing browsers, maybe try out Skyfire since it supports some flash content.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #48
lugusto
lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SmartQ 7
ActiveSync 4.5 @ WinXP Home SP3 now recognizes my Smart Q7 because I've unistalled the english translation cab and installed this USB driver on my PC (found here)
lugusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #49
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
For Coldsun and others who have been using a translated WinCE on the Q7 - how easy is this to use? I'm familiar with somewhat ideosyncratic devices like the Nokia n810, but I'm not a programmer and I don't know Chinese. Given the rumors that there may never be an English translation, is the current form of WinCE (once translated) actually usable enough to be practical?
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #50
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
The translated version is kind of buggy, causing all icons to look like recycle bin, and on my unit, it completely disables my wireless networking.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #51
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

For those of you who may not qualify for the FREE WinCE add-on to your SmartQ 5 & 7 JT's shop has WinCE licence available to buy for $10
Link: http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/wince-...u9ep2jcfj3gif5

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 07-27-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added shop link
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #52
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
LOL so I see! Very nice specs, if only that screen were an inch or two bigger! I may have to settle - or wait til someone builds my "dream device".
Last try. http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/apple-...892mltgine3qu0 for $390

I'm sure it's not an Apple despite the name in the link and at the top of the webpage.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #53
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Last try. http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/apple-...892mltgine3qu0 for $390

I'm sure it's not an Apple despite the name in the link and at the top of the webpage.
Wow, yeah, someone was really going for the Apple audience, weren't they? That's too funny. Hope they don't end up with a trademark case on their hands, though.

Actually, once I figured out that EU pays VAT and we don't, and therefore converting EU to US Dollars doesn't give you what you'll pay for the device, the Archos 9 ended up mostly in my price range. I can't get anything until tax time anyway and by that time the Archos will be released and there will have been time for people to try to break it and I can see if it's really what I want. I am, of course, keeping my eye on other devices as well, but right now I really like the looks/specs of the Archos. Battery life is not a deal killer for me, as long as I'm not tied to my desk chair and the device is still small enough to read in bed with, I'm good. The Archos may actually be overkill for what I want, but as my husband is so fond of invoking, I'm going on the "power tool rule". Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #54
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Hi, I bought a 4gb SDHC card but the Smartq7 won't boot up from it. Just ignores it and goes straight into the default operating system. The disk shows up there, though. The boot works fine on my 2gb SD card, but not on the SDHC. Would anyone have any ideas on how I could get it to boot up the dual menu with the SDHC card? Thanks.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #55
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkel View Post
Hi, I bought a 4gb SDHC card but the Smartq7 won't boot up from it. Just ignores it and goes straight into the default operating system. The disk shows up there, though. The boot works fine on my 2gb SD card, but not on the SDHC. Would anyone have any ideas on how I could get it to boot up the dual menu with the SDHC card? Thanks.
No one has this problem? I've tried formatting it both with windows and the sd formatting tool. I even reflashed version 4 firmware using the 4gb SDHC card. But I still can't get the dual boot menu to boot up with it. So no suggestions to be had?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #56
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Lets go back to the start. What software/files have you loaded onto the SD card?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #57
bjkel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Lets go back to the start. What software/files have you loaded onto the SD card?
WinCE boot files: Boot folder, LBE folder and licence.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #58
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
WinCE boot files: Boot folder, LBE folder and licence.
Well that's correct and as long as you haven't altered the menu.lst file that lives in the boot folder it should work Grasping at straws here. When you say SD formatter do you mean http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahgd...DFormatter_rar or this http://www.filefactory.com/file/aha6...UpdateTool_rar ?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #59
bjkel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well that's correct and as long as you haven't altered the menu.lst file that lives in the boot folder it should work Grasping at straws here. When you say SD formatter do you mean http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahgd...DFormatter_rar or this http://www.filefactory.com/file/aha6...UpdateTool_rar ?
I've actually used both in various combinations of trying to get the SDHC card to boot up. Maybe a fault in the SDHC card itself? I'm hesitant about getting another one if it doesn't work. But would like not to be confined to just a 2gb card for WinCE. Thanks for confirming that it should work with the SDHC card, though.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #60
serwei
Connoisseur
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
Quote:
For those of you who may not qualify for the FREE WinCE add-on to your SmartQ 5 & 7 JT's shop has WinCE licence available to buy for $10
Link: http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/wince-...u9ep2jcfj3gif5

hmm how do you qualify for the free winCE?
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote