Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone here with a Jetbook care that Etaco is lying to try to get sales?

Their comparison of Sony and Amazon to the Jetbook was full of lies & inaccuracies and saying the Jetbook has the widest array of file formats it supports is yet another bold face lie.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #47
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does anyone here with a Jetbook care that Etaco is lying to try to get sales?
What I really care about is the surprising readability of the Jetbook screen. I have the Jetbook and the Kindle2. The Jetbook font clarity and contrast is superb. Kindle2 contrast is quite poor. With the same book loaded on the Kindle2 and Jetbook, I prefer reading it on the Jetbook, especially for many hours of continuous reading.
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #48
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10522 View Post
What I really care about is the surprising readability of the Jetbook screen. I have the Jetbook and the Kindle2. The Jetbook font clarity and contrast is superb. Kindle2 contrast is quite poor. With the same book loaded on the Kindle2 and Jetbook, I prefer reading it on the Jetbook, especially for many hours of continuous reading.
Good reply! Many people who tested jetBook like how screen looks and like how it works. jetBook reviews of customers who purchased it on NewEgg.com
website available below
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723001

JSWolf doesn't like jetBook but He never tested it so I can recommend
JSWolf visit the nearest BB&B store to test the unit, see the screen, interface etc and after it submit his opinion. I guess He will like jetBook too
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Good reply! Many people who tested jetBook like how screen looks and like how it works. jetBook reviews of customers who purchased it on NewEgg.com
website available below
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723001

JSWolf doesn't like jetBook but He never tested it so I can recommend
JSWolf visit the nearest BB&B store to test the unit, see the screen, interface etc and after it submit his opinion. I guess He will like jetBook too
I could see the Jetbook and decide I like it. But I can strip away DRM and be able to read what I want. The problem I have is that selling it in a place like BB&B without such as a mention of it's lack of DRM is going to be an issue. People may see it and decide they like it, get it home, try to purchase something to use with it and not be able to to or end up with an eBook that they cannot read with it. So basically, Etaco's lack of being up-front is going to hurt them in the long run. People who end up with a bad experience will tell others. Word of mouth on a bad experience travels better then good experiences.

Plus, on their website they say you can request books and they will get them for you. Go ahead and request a book that's only available for purchase with DRM and see how far it gets. That could also cause problems as it may lead others to think that once they purchase it, the books will be free.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #50
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Plus, on their website they say you can request books and they will get them for you. Go ahead and request a book that's only available for purchase with DRM and see how far it gets. That could also cause problems as it may lead others to think that once they purchase it, the books will be free.
Their website says quite a bit that is a bit of a stretch. Things like "provides a crisp, clear image on a larger display screen that is easier to read than any paper book ". Oh? Larger than what? Easier to read than any paper book? I think not. Or "New formats for the ECTACO jetBook put it in the lead as the world's most versatile handheld e-book reader." Really? Versatile enough to read say; Michael Crichton or Tom Clancy?

Having enough tech savvy and eBook experience, to read between the lines, I pretty much know what to expect, but the average person on the street is going to write some really nasty reviews because they have been led to believe it’s something that it’s not. I also have the technology to DeDRM some formats making these machines much more useful, which the average person also does not.

This is going to hurt the company in the long run. If ECTACO fails it will not be caused by poor design, or an inferior product. It will be because of irrational exuberance on the part of the guy writing the ad copy.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #51
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Their website says quite a bit that is a bit of a stretch. Things like "provides a crisp, clear image on a larger display screen that is easier to read than any paper book ". Oh? Larger than what? Easier to read than any paper book? I think not. Or "New formats for the ECTACO jetBook put it in the lead as the world's most versatile handheld e-book reader." Really? Versatile enough to read say; Michael Crichton or Tom Clancy?

Having enough tech savvy and eBook experience, to read between the lines, I pretty much know what to expect, but the average person on the street is going to write some really nasty reviews because they have been led to believe it’s something that it’s not. I also have the technology to DeDRM some formats making these machines much more useful, which the average person also does not.

This is going to hurt the company in the long run. If ECTACO fails it will not be caused by poor design, or an inferior product. It will be because of irrational exuberance on the part of the guy writing the ad copy.

If you never tested jetBook it is difficult to understand what "crisp, clear image" means the same way as it is difficult to understand what chocolate means if you never tested it...
If you will read the feedback from jetBook owners on this forum you will see that many people like it and some of them have several ereaders so they can compare.
It will be nice don't "read between the lines" but test the unit and after it write your feedback. I tested Sony 700 and returned it back to Sony because it was impossible to read on the screen. I also tested Sony 505 and it I don't like splashes on the screen each time when you press page down button...
Advice From the C++ Experts: Write What You Know, and Know What You Write

Last edited by Kris777; 04-19-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #52
loc_141
Enthusiast
loc_141 began at the beginning.

Device: pBooks
Kris777, JSWolf and wodin are criticizing jetbook's ads rather than the quality of the reader itself. I have to admit am a victim of their lies too. When I first decided that I wanted an ereader, I don't know how but I came right to their page, and having no knowledge about ereaders at that time, I was convinced right away that jetbook is the best by the comparison chart. Untill I received my 505 as a gift. I was mad when I found out most of the stuff on that chart was biased and inaccurate, especially the part "You can also request a title from us which we will find and send to you right away." or "Ask us what you need and we will run Internet search for you FREE". I read mostly free stuff so it didn't matter much to me until one day I wanted to read this new released book and guess what they replied to my request? They gave me the link to their download page which has about 40 FREE titles, and the gutenberg website and asked me to search there!
I do like the jetbook lcd and the way it works, but it doesn't make up for the lies they told. If not for those false ads they made, I wouldnt have considered other devices (like 505 or kindle) before it.
loc_141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #53
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc_141 View Post
Kris777, JSWolf and wodin are criticizing jetbook's ads rather than the quality of the reader itself. I have to admit am a victim of their lies too. When I first decided that I wanted an ereader, I don't know how but I came right to their page, and having no knowledge about ereaders at that time, I was convinced right away that jetbook is the best by the comparison chart. Untill I received my 505 as a gift. I was mad when I found out most of the stuff on that chart was biased and inaccurate, especially the part "You can also request a title from us which we will find and send to you right away." or "Ask us what you need and we will run Internet search for you FREE". I read mostly free stuff so it didn't matter much to me until one day I wanted to read this new released book and guess what they replied to my request? They gave me the link to their download page which has about 40 FREE titles, and the gutenberg website and asked me to search there!
I do like the jetbook lcd and the way it works, but it doesn't make up for the lies they told. If not for those false ads they made, I wouldnt have considered other devices (like 505 or kindle) before it.
loc_141, Sony and Kindle don't inform customers about splashes on the ink screen on their websites too. As you know jetBook TFT screen has no splashes but people who never tested jetBook think that jetBook screen is the same as LCD screen on the first palm devices or calculators... that is totally wrong.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We are not complaining at all about the quality of the Jetbook. What we are complaining about is the deceptive advertising that Etaco is doing with it. The fact is that Etaco is not telling people it will not handle eBooks with DRM in any format. They comparison chart is chock full of errors and out-and-out incorrect information. They do not mention on the site that it will not handle DRM free eBooks. Then they go on to have the request eBooks form that we all know doesn't do squat for say the latest eBook from the NYT best seller list.

It is the total lack of being upfront and honest with the customers that is the problem.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #55
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
A JetBook is very high on my wish list, actually I'm only waiting for reports on this forum that the upgrades work well and the promised formats are rendered correctly.

I am very interested it this company remaining viable, it would be a tragedy if they failed because of inaccurate advertising.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #56
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I think another example of lack of fair and full disclosure is the Kindle books. I see nowhere on an individual book's page that it can only be read on a Kindle. And yeeees, I'm well aware one must own a Kindle or have access to a Kindle owner's account to buy Kindle books.

I tried reading a few title listings just now over on Amazon and did not see anywhere on the book's page that explains the title in Kindle edition can only be read on a Kindle and not other devices other than the iphone/touch.

I agree that Ectaco needs to be up front on the DRM thing, but so does every other site out there which sells readers and/or ebooks. As many have complained about the Jetbook page, Joe Q. Public is not going to be up to speed on the whole format and format+drm fiasco. But the problem is industry wide. I sense it's the real monkey wrench in reader sales or demand for reading devices.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #57
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
I tried reading a few title listings just now over on Amazon and did not see anywhere on the book's page that explains the title in Kindle edition can only be read on a Kindle and not other devices other than the iphone/touch.
Most ebook stores are very explicit about DRM, because if they are not they get lots of customer queries and ebook returns. I agree that Amazon is not explicit, but Amazon's position is that all their ebooks are only readable on Kindles and the iphone/touch. They won't sell the ebook to you if you don't have a Kindle or iphone/touch registered. I wish they would indicate which of their ebooks are DRM-free, many of them are although typically the most popular titles have DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #58
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
The dictionaries do NOT work with the new formats. I was hoping for a better default English dictionary (the included dictionary can't define words as simple as "cogent") but that didn't happen with the update. PRC book pictures show up nicely. A large PRC dictionary crashed the unit as did a MOBI book I tried to read. Rich text books were properly formatted but did not have dictionary support.
I wish I had seen this post last night. I had a hell of time figuring out the dictionary issue. I thought it was a problem with the firmware. I hear the next update in a month or two will include dictionary support for the new formats. I also agree with you that the English dictionary could use some improvement. Would be great to be able to actually enter a random word to look up too.

Quote:
This is the big surprise for me too. After all the hype about e-ink, I was hoping the jetBook would be at least on par with my Kindle 1 screen, but it is much better. I wouldn't think to read on the Kindle now. As I said in another thread, the Kindle looks faded and washed out next to the jetBook screen.

Low light reading is vastly improved. With the Kindle, the first thing I had to do after receiving it was begin the search for the perfect reading light. Even in my apartment with lamps lit, the Kindle seemed hard to read for me. Mighty Bright was only adequate, and made me think I had a War of the World's spaceship on my Kindle. I wanted something brighter. I got the Verilux and of course have to mount it on the cover, plugging it into my Mac's USB as the batteries increase the weight. What a hassle.

The jetBook doesn't need a ancillary reading light. A lamp that will normally illuminate a book will certainly be sufficient for the jetBook. Reflective screen it is, and not in a bad way. Both the Kindle and the jetBook require one to angle them away from direct light, or the bright spot will be reflected in them. But with the jetBook, after doing that the entire screen has a phosphorous glow about it (don't hold me to that technically, it just came to mind). Combined with the no flash, instantaneous page turns, and the perfect paperback size (for me), there is no comparison imho.

Last edited by galavanter; 04-24-2009 at 06:30 AM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Low light reading is vastly improved. With the Kindle, the first thing I had to do after receiving it was begin the search for the perfect reading light. Even in my apartment with lamps lit, the Kindle seemed hard to read for me. Mighty Bright was only adequate, and made me think I had a War of the World's spaceship on my Kindle. I wanted something brighter. I got the Verilux and of course have to mount it on the cover, plugging it into my Mac's USB as the batteries increase the weight. What a hassle.

The jetBook doesn't need a ancillary reading light. A lamp that will normally illuminate a book will certainly be sufficient for the jetBook. Reflective screen it is, and not in a bad way. Both the Kindle and the jetBook require one to angle them away from direct light, or the bright spot will be reflected in them. But with the jetBook, after doing that the entire screen has a phosphorous glow about it (don't hold me to that technically, it just came to mind). Combined with the no flash, instantaneous page turns, and the perfect paperback size (for me), there is no comparison imho.
I have a 505 which uses the same screen as the K1 & K2. I don't need to use the lightwedge or a booklight with the 505 when there is enough light to read a standard paperback. If you really do need a booklight for your Kindle, you might have a defective Kindle. I would suggest taking your Kindle to a SonyStyle or Borders or Target and comparing it against a 505.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #60
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Why don't you get a jetBook Jon. You can return it to BB&B anytime for a full refund. You compare it to your Sony, using your eyes of course. Then form your own opinion. I'll have more respect for it then.

If you don't want a jetBook, or don't care for them, why not spend this time reading on your Sony?
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote