Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 09:56 AM   #46
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM2 View Post
I've checked and confirmed that I get KFX now sending epub and it happend to me two days ago, but it happens with only English books, not the Japanes ones. (They are still azw3.) Does anyone have any idea why that is?
I tried sending a test book in Japanese and it was delivered in KF8 instead of KFX to the Kindle for Android app.

I also received the following email. In the past either a book went through or failed completely.

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service. We are reaching out to let you know that a document, sent to your Kindle at 01:42 PM on Tue, Sep 26, 2023 GMT, contains incompatible elements for Kindle format conversion. We’ve still delivered the document so that you can read it with Kindle, but in its current format it won’t support the latest Kindle features for documents, including Kindle Scribe handwriting features.

To make document(s) compatible with Kindle format conversion:
  • Split large tables into several smaller tables, align the direction of text in the tables, and remove drop-caps in the tables.
  • Remove multi-media content such as audio, video, and SVG images.
  • Remove mathematical equations.
  • Remove images that contain linear gradients.
  • Remove password protection or any other security settings.
  • Remove any footnotes inside footnotes.
  • Check the document can be opened on a computer.
  • Make sure the document doesn’t have more than 8,000 pages.
  • Try sending the document again via Send to Kindle for Web.

To learn more about converting documents to a Kindle format, please visit our help page. By downloading or using Send to Kindle, you agree to the terms here.

Regards,
Amazon Kindle Support
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:42 AM   #47
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I guess there's gotta be a cut off somewhere.
I download a document dated Nov 10, 2022 and it was delivered as KFX, but then I download another one dated Nov 1, 2022 and it was delivered as AZW3.
So I tested dates in between. It seems like the cutoff was between Nov 6 and 7.
I wonder what made them decide that every document from Nov 7 onwards could be delivered as KFX.

I'm still sad that I lost my margins, but someone on reddit made a Bookerly font with ligatures, and it's fun seeing the squiggly lines sprinkled throughout the page. So I guess I have that going on for me with this new update.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2023, 10:53 AM   #48
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
I tried sending Japanese EPUB that was unpacked from official Amazon AZW3 with KindleUnpack, and got KF8 to both my Android and PW5. I didn't get any email though. My account is on Amazon Japan.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:13 AM   #49
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
To anyone who knows, am I supposed to be using a different tag?
Try adding "amzn-et" to the CSS rule, so it looks like:
Code:
@media amzn-kf8, amzn-et {

}
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:26 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Oh rip... This is bad. Negative margins won't work with the new format since I only tagged them as KF8 in CSS.

I tested a new book and it seems negative margins also don't work, even with the KFX tag.

To anyone who knows, am I supposed to be using a different tag?

Edit: I also downloaded an old doc I sent months ago and it's also in KFX now. RIP my margins...
Don't use send-to-Kindle. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2023, 11:30 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Try adding "amzn-et" to the CSS rule, so it looks like:
Code:
@media amzn-kf8, amzn-et {

}
You don't need media queries for negative margins.

Here is the CSS code I use at the top of the CSS.
Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
  break-inside: avoid !important;
}
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:18 PM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Remove multi-media content such as audio, video, and SVG images.
SVG images are multi-media content???
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:41 PM   #53
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
OK, my earlier problem with the inability to send epub files via Send to Kindle web and app areas has disappeared as mysteriously as it happened. All of the test files that failed now work. FWIW, probably nothing, I notice that now the files are converted to KFX and happen faster. Possibly as they switch servers to KFX transfers from epub that sets everything to off for day or so. Which, of course, then anables them to enail all sorts of facetious help files.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:50 PM   #54
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
For me, the promotion of Print Replica personal documents for the Kindle apps is at least as significant as the promotion of KFX. PDFs have always been orphans.

Print Replica supports annotations that sync, and have a functional table of contents. So far none of the other Kindles support this for personal documents but presumably they will at some point.

I do hope they improve presentation options with the apps: dark mode, margin adjustment, facing page mode, cover thumbnail (from first page).

It would make sense to have other platforms (e.g. iPadOS, Fire 11 Max) be able to use stylus for drawing on them as you can with Scribe, and create Sticky notes for KFX. And Notebooks there as well.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:24 PM   #55
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need media queries for negative margins.

Here is the CSS code I use at the top of the CSS.
Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
  break-inside: avoid !important;
}
is the break-inside part the one for hyphenations?
Old 09-27-2023, 03:25 AM   #56
MMM2
MMM2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I tried sending a test book in Japanese and it was delivered in KF8 instead of KFX to the Kindle for Android app.

I also received the following email. In the past either a book went through or failed completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I tried sending Japanese EPUB that was unpacked from official Amazon AZW3 with KindleUnpack, and got KF8 to both my Android and PW5. I didn't get any email though. My account is on Amazon Japan.
Thank you! So the Japanese language is somehow preventing them from being converted to KFX...? I didn't get any email either, maybe because I sent the epubs from amazon.co.jp/sendtokindle? I don't know...

Quote:
We’ve still delivered the document so that you can read it with Kindle
Usually I buy books from Amazon kindle, and as long as they keep doing this (and I can send books via email, I get the covers and in KF8 format,) I'm okay, I guess.

Last edited by MMM2; 09-27-2023 at 08:15 AM.
MMM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #57
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
[QUOTE=JSWolf;4359104]You don't need media queries for negative margins.
You do if you want to read the EPUB on something other than a Kindle.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #58
hleo12
Guru

Just to note.
My notes and highlights for the new KFX documents seem to have been deleted. All the books that got turned into kfx have all my notes missing. I tested with a book prior Nov 2022 that didn't get turned to kfx and it still has my highlights and notes.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:18 PM   #59
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
Tried to send an ePub via the Amazon web page. Worked great on my iPad and Mac Kindle apps.

If only Amazon was "reading" more metadata then only the title and author, like the book summary and collections tags, that would be awesome.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 09:16 PM   #60
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Just to note.
My notes and highlights for the new KFX documents seem to have been deleted. All the books that got turned into kfx have all my notes missing. I tested with a book prior Nov 2022 that didn't get turned to kfx and it still has my highlights and notes.
Interesting.

After getting a Scribe, I went through my personal documents and replaced most of them with ones generated from ePub files. I can annotate these on KFX capable devices and they show up on my (only) non-KFX capable device and vice versa.

I don't remember when Send To Kindle began accepting ePub, and I do still have a number of personal documents that I sent in prior to Nov, but if these were ePub, they all download as KF8.

In at least one case, an ePub I sent after Nov downloaded as KFX but did not have cover thumbnail after opening/closing it. I re-sent it and now it does.

In short, I cannot reproduce this issue, but maybe I cannot reproduce your exact scenario.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-28-2023 at 10:51 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote