Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Thanks!
Should be on menu too as new gestures (and gestures other than page turn) are non-intuitive.

Well, works. The interesting thing is that it's so far the sole Notebook/eBook integration. Recently opened Notebooks are in the the 3 recent other things, but Notebooks are not in the Books list.

Nor sadly is there any keyboard on Notebooks or Copy/paste from eBook or annotation to Notebooks (or from Notebook to annotation).

And the swipe down works in an Advanced Notebook to get back to an eBook.
Interesting.
So you now can hop back & forth between and eBook and Advanced Notebook. My Notebooks are organised by Alphabetic, so this is a lot less taps to get to a Notebook not on first page.

More useful if you use Notebooks than just for ebooks. I have Home Screen off, so 2 taps gets list of recently reading ebooks, the default My Books.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Open book, swipe down from the top edge.
Or in Advanced Notebook too.
Advert
Old 09-21-2022, 01:10 PM   #48
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Oddly now in PDF switched to from swipe list in Advanced Notebook, a tap at top doesn't go to My Books, but My Notebooks (on Elipsa).
This doesn't happen on the Sage with an epub. I'll check epub on Elipsa and PDF on Sage later. Actually I don't do PDFs on Sage unless small size manuals and I don't read epubs on the Elipsa.

If you got to PDF via My Books rather than from a Notebook, the top tap does offer My Books.

Very interesting and sort of better.

So far 4.34.x looking OK on Sage & Elipsa.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #49
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Weird that Rakuten Serif has no ligatures but Rakuten Sans does. Although that might be a bug with fontdrop too as maybe the Small Figures feature of Rakuten Serif Regular is throwing things off (scanning the Bold version shows 44 ligatures and no Small Figures, so I'm leaning towards fontdrop bug, I think. Either that, or there really is something wrong with the Regular version of the font).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I took a look at Rakuten Serif with FontForge and it does show ligatures.
I think the problem with RakutenSerif Regular may be not so much that the standard ligature glyphs are missing but that it does not contain any OpenType Layout tables (GPOS, GSUB) to instruct the font how to use them. See attached screenshot comparing features of Regular, Italic, Bold, BoldItalic.

Someone who understands all this technical font innards stuff may be able to correct it but unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start. If Kobo paid a license fee for these maybe they should ask for a discount until they get their missing Regular tables back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RakutenSerif_Ligs.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	196701  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #50
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Someone who understands all this technical font innards stuff may be able to correct it but unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start. If Kobo paid a license fee for these maybe they should ask for a discount until they get their missing Regular tables back
Now paging Dalton Maag, I guess.

I'm not sure if it's needed either, but just in case, I 'koboified' the Bold and BoldItalic versions of Rakuten Sans because the PANOSE weight of those were set to Demi rather than Bold. But people haven't complained (yet?) about fonts looking weird like stock Bookerly (also from Dalton Maag), so maybe Kobo fixed their font renderers too?

Last edited by rtiangha; 09-21-2022 at 02:06 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
4.34.20097 installed along with the patches. So far so good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #52
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't yet installed this on my Glo HD, and here's why.

In the kobo6 image, I'm seeing a bunch of files in /usr/local/Kobo that weren't included in previous versions, but are being shipped in newer models.

Things like libmp3z.so which is only really good with devices that have a Bluetooth chip, foxitpdf which is shipped on newer devices like Sage and Elipsa, MyScript and libiink binaries that are included with devices that have stylus support, etc. The kernel file seems correct though.

While I wouldn't mind access to FoxIt, the rest needs hardware that my Glo HD simply doesn't have, and I'm concerned that I don't have enough space in /root for all of these new files and bad things will happen if I try to flash this.

So my question is this: Is the inclusion of these files intentional, is the kobo6 link incorrect, or did something like the Sage KoboRoot.tgz file get included in the kobo6 zip by mistake?

Edit: kobo7 (ex. Clara HD) does NOT have these files (and never did) which leads me to believe that the kobo6 file is wrong. Can a Beta Tester escalate this to Kobo for investigation? I'm concerned that devices may brick if they run out of space while upgrading, and even if they don't, removing these files automatically later on if this is a mistake may be difficult without a factory reset.

Edit2: It's weird; the NTX stuff looks correct (it has mx6sl-ntx listed and only that, so it's not the Sage file), but it has all the Bluetooth and Stylus stuff included all over the filesystem too so I can't tell if this build is intentional or not. If what geek1011 is postulating below is true, then perhaps supply chain issues has forced them to revert to older Mark 6 hardware CPU wise for newer devices, but I simply don't think the original devices have enough disk space to handle this build comfortably, which is why I still think the current kobo6 build is wrong. Either that, or I have too much third party stuff in my root partition and I'll need to make room. Has anyone with a Mark 6 device flashed this? How is it? Did it unlock new functionality?

Edit3: Well, I YOLO'd and manually removed all the extra Bluetooth and stylus stuff before flashing. Seems to work fine. But if someone could confirm or deny if all that stuff is supposed to be there in the first place, it would really be appreciated.

Last edited by rtiangha; 09-21-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I haven't yet installed this on my Glo HD, and here's why.

In the kobo6 image, I'm seeing a bunch of files in /usr/local/Kobo that weren't included in previous versions, but are being shipped in newer models.

Things like libmp3z.so which is only really good with devices that have a Bluetooth chip, foxitpdf which is shipped on newer devices like Sage and Elipsa, MyScript and libiink binaries that are included with devices that have stylus support, etc. The kernel file seems correct though.

While I wouldn't mind access to FoxIt, the rest needs hardware that my Glo HD simply doesn't have, and I'm concerned that I don't have enough space in /root for all of these new files and bad things will happen if I try to flash this.

So my question is this: Is the inclusion of these files intentional, is the kobo6 link incorrect, or did the Sage KoboRoot.tgz file get included in the kobo6 zip by mistake?
Download the firmware for the Sage and do a binary compare on the KoboRoot.tpz files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:18 PM   #54
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
It could potentially be the 389 device (the new Clara 2E is 386). That one doesn't appear to have any other public info, and I haven't sorted out the codenames yet. Would be surprised if that's a kobo6 though, given that we're now on kobo10 (and some kobo6 devs have a newer kobo7 one).
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:27 PM   #55
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It could potentially be the 389 device (the new Clara 2E is 386). That one doesn't appear to have any other public info, and I haven't sorted out the codenames yet. Would be surprised if that's a kobo6 though, given that we're now on kobo10 (and some kobo6 devs have a newer kobo7 one).
I wonder if 389 is that 32GB Clara 2E version that was submitted for FCC testing; that would make more sense to me (even though the numbering wouldn't be sequential if that were the case).
Old 09-21-2022, 06:16 PM   #56
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The last 4.33 firmware has a big where if you are reading ePub, sometimes the font shown in the advanced font section is a sans-serif font. The weight added is correct and it does apply to the font you are using. The only thing that doesn't work properly is the size because it's a different font. But as long as the font name is correct, adding/removing weight will work. The size change will also work, it's just that you may not see it correctly for the chosen font.
All my books are kepub
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:44 PM   #57
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ok. I forgot (or actually wasn't aware) that there was a max fw version coded in the driver.

A pull request has been submitted to Kovid to make the required change.

The database schema DID NOT change; it's still at version 171 so there should be no issue with that.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:12 PM   #58
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Open book, swipe down from the top edge.
Thank you for providing the critical info "from the top edge" 🙂
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:54 AM   #59
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
Just for the record, I still have no pinchToZoom-feature for changing the font size on my Libra 2.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:23 AM   #60
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
Just for the record, I still have no pinchToZoom-feature for changing the font size on my Libra 2.
Did you enable it in the settings?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release