Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2022, 06:54 AM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Easily fixable "Turning on BT turns on WiFi" bug still not fixed. Since you can see first if WiFi is on or off, turn on BT and then go to WiFi and turn it off again if it was off, and BT is still on, then this can easily be fixed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Two Sage models now rolled back to 4.32.x as either version of 4.33.x makes the Advanced Notebooks intermittent for writing or export.
Advert
Old 06-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #48
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post

It will make the UI use the OpenDyslexic font.

A caveat is that you need to have the OpenDyslexic font in your system partition (i.e. /usr/local/Trolltech/blahblahblah). If you deleted it or only have a copy in /mnt/onboard/fonts, it won't work (although I wonder if a patch could be made to change the file path it looks for the font at; I assume it's hardcoded).
And there is evidence that the OpenDyslexic font in proper tests is worse than regular fonts. It seems simply having a familiar font adjusting the size and spacing is the most help.

There was no scientific rational to the Open Dyslexic font, it's just someone's artistic endeavour.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #49
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Scientific studies re: Open Dyslexic Font, per Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDy...ntific_studies

Two small studies have investigated the effect of specialized fonts used with students with dyslexia. Rello and Baeza-Yates (2013) measured eye-tracking recordings of Spanish readers (aged 11–50) with dyslexia and found that OpenDyslexic did not significantly improve reading time nor shorten eye fixation.[16] In her master's thesis, Leeuw (2010) compared Arial and Dyslexie with 21 Dutch students with dyslexia and found Dyslexie did not lead to faster reading, but may help with some dyslexic-related errors.[17] The British Dyslexia Association recommend “plain, evenly spaced sans serif font such as Arial and Comic Sans. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet”.[18]
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:37 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Scientific studies re: Open Dyslexic Font, per Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDy...ntific_studies

Two small studies have investigated the effect of specialized fonts used with students with dyslexia. Rello and Baeza-Yates (2013) measured eye-tracking recordings of Spanish readers (aged 11–50) with dyslexia and found that OpenDyslexic did not significantly improve reading time nor shorten eye fixation.[16] In her master's thesis, Leeuw (2010) compared Arial and Dyslexie with 21 Dutch students with dyslexia and found Dyslexie did not lead to faster reading, but may help with some dyslexic-related errors.[17] The British Dyslexia Association recommend “plain, evenly spaced sans serif font such as Arial and Comic Sans. Alternatives include Verdana, Tahoma, Century Gothic, Trebuchet”.[18]
OpenDislexia is as useless as bionic reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #51
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hey, I'm not going to say no to free features. Besides, people need to look past what's in front of them and consider the possibilities and potential. Kobo just gave us a way to mod the UI font. Now people who need Cyrillic or whatnot to display book titles properly can do so without sacrificing Avenir or Georgia by replacing OpenDyslexic (a font that most people won't use) with something more useful. That's a win to me.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #52
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
I don't remember if it was working already like this with the previous version... When I use default font for a kepub, I can't modify its font weight within advanced properties. It rather shows supplemental character (AR UDJingxihei). Do you confirm that there is no way to change default font weight?
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
I don't remember if it was working already like this with the previous version... When I use default font for a kepub, I can't modify its font weight within advanced properties. It rather shows supplemental character (AR UDJingxihei). Do you confirm that there is no way to change default font weight?
There is a bug where you'll not see the correct font in the preview but changing the weight will still work.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
You could never change the advanced properties for "Publisher Defaults". What changed recently is that the advanced properties are available for all fonts. If the currently selected font is not "Publisher Defaults", then it will open the advanced settings for the selected font. If it is "Publisher Defaults", then the first font in the list will be selected when the advanced fonts settings are opened.

Also, when you select "Publisher Defaults" for the font, it does not use the advanced settings when reading. If you set weights for the fonts used by the device when the book does not specify them, they are not used.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:09 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is anyone with any sort of locks, crashes, etc., are you running nanoclock?
Old 06-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #56
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not running Nanoclock, but still have instability.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:40 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am not running Nanoclock, but still have instability.
What is it you are doing not long before the instability hits?
Old 06-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #58
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Jon, believe me, if this were easily reproducible, I'd have said so.

I almost never get a crash while just reading (Kobo-store-bought Kepubs synched directly to the device), but often get them when going from an open book back to the home screen or My Books or into Pocket or ...

But I've detected no pattern that I can reproduce.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:56 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, believe me, if this were easily reproducible, I'd have said so.

I almost never get a crash while just reading (Kobo-store-bought Kepubs synched directly to the device), but often get them when going from an open book back to the home screen or My Books or into Pocket or ...

But I've detected no pattern that I can reproduce.
Try going from KePub to opening an ePub and then going to Pocket from there. See how that goes.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #60
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Not sure if it has to do with the latest firmware or the latest personal French dictionary but now every time I search for a word, it’s the custom dictionary that opens (or the last one that was open, I guess.) Before, it was always the original French Kobo dictionary that was open when I searched a word and I had to choose the custom one in a list. Anyway, it’s very cool.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release