Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Why do you prefer Kobo ereaders to Amazon ereaders?
Better store 7 4.19%
Better hardware 41 24.55%
More innovative products 34 20.36%
More open and customizable 120 71.86%
Better software 72 43.11%
Better support 9 5.39%
Better price 20 11.98%
Library access 53 31.74%
More accessible in my country 19 11.38%
I disagree with the direction Amazon's is taking with ereaders 51 30.54%
I disagree with Amazon's policy directions in general 74 44.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2021, 04:12 AM   #46
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
- Kindle shutting down jailbreaking, thus eliminating ability to use koreader on newest devices / inability to downgrade firmware when it upgrades itself
- Honestly, it's nice not to have to convert all those epubs to kindle format
- Similar devices run cheaper, which made it easier for me to justify trying the switch to Kobo... and I don't think I'll look back.

However, I could see if you were not a person to care about customization at all, never sideload books, or expect to need technical support, you might choose Kindle for a simpler experience.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #47
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My biggest gripe with Amazon devices is their continuous 'adding another brick to their walled garden wall'
The main reason I go back to a business is they offer what I want, at a fair price (no necessarily the cheapest) and not because I am locked into their store. Ads before/after a book, OK (I paid for Ad free). Commercials While Reading (This is what has gone wrong with US TV, Cable and even YouTube. MINUTES of commercials, multiple times a show)
I've never seen a "commercial while reading" on any of my Kindles, whether or not they were "ad supported". When did you see that?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #48
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have never had a Kindle since I prefer the epub format. However, I do all my book buying on Amazon, and convert over to epubs. I got a Libra H20 last year since my Sony T1 ran out of room.

I still do most of my reading on my pc or on my cellphone when out commuting to & from work.

I don't care or am not finicky about fiddling with fonts or whatever else you can do with Kobo's. So long as I can convert my books over to epubs, and read them I'm happy.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:39 PM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I don't use either kobos or kindles but I prefer epubs. I buy from Amazon US & UK and Baen.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #50
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Another reason, particularly relevant since the latest kindle firmware update: one touch bookmarking! I don’t even have to think about it, just tap the top right corner and a pretty dog-ear appears. Whereas the kindle now has an extra, extra step, bringing it up to a grand total of three taps to set a bookmark.
Yes, I've read that Amazon ereader software has not been updated in a long time. If so, this is odd. Maybe they feel most people are satisfied with it, and they don't want to confuse people. But they used to add stuff, like x-ray, and the ability to browse thumbnail pages. Have they slowed UI development?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #51
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Yes, I've read that Amazon ereader software has not been updated in a long time. If so, this is odd. Maybe they feel most people are satisfied with it, and they don't want to confuse people. But they used to add stuff, like x-ray, and the ability to browse thumbnail pages. Have they slowed UI development?
They recently updated the UI to make it more Android like. Meaning that when I go to adjust the light on my Oasis, a huge pull down panel appears, obliterating most of the screen, then I make my adjustment and the panel retracts after I press the up arrow.

It’s way over the top, and not designed to be suitable for ereaders. This also means the bookmarking step is now three steps, and, often, just not worth the bother any more.

Last edited by Pjama; 10-26-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Another reason, particularly relevant since the latest kindle firmware update: one touch bookmarking! I don’t even have to think about it, just tap the top right corner and a pretty dog-ear appears. Whereas the kindle now has an extra, extra step, bringing it up to a grand total of three taps to set a bookmark.
It has been that way for quite awhile, and I like it (for some reason most of the bookmarks I create are accidental). And it only takes 2 taps to create.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #53
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I dislike Amazon in general. I do have a Kindle but only because I won it in a contest. I rarely use it. My first reader was a Sony and Kobo readers are very similar to me. Love my Libra so much I'm considering selling off most of my Sony collection.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #54
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

Even down to being unable to bold a font on a side loaded mobi file, even when sent using Send to Kindle. Amazon make it awkward to read and manage side loaded ebooks.
Seriously? That would torpedo my interest in the new Paperwhite completely. No sideloaded books can be bolded on a kindle? Is it just the mobi format for which it isn't possible to bold?
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #55
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Seriously? That would torpedo my interest in the new Paperwhite completely. No sideloaded books can be bolded on a kindle? Is it just the mobi format for which it isn't possible to bold?
You can bold the fonts in sideloaded books in the azw3 format.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #56
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can bold the fonts in sideloaded books in the azw3 format.
thx
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #57
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It has been that way for quite awhile, and I like it (for some reason most of the bookmarks I create are accidental). And it only takes 2 taps to create.
Pjama's point is that it has gone from 2 to 3.

I hate gratuitous extra taps, but I'm with you that 2 makes it harder to accidentally bookmark. Going from 1 to 2 also made it faster and easier to go to existing bookmarks.

I'm skeptical that going to 3 is anything but bad.

Regarding the poll title and available response choices, it strikes me as analogous to the question "when are you going to stop beating your wife?".
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #58
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
I only touch the top right corner if I am purposely going to set a bookmark, so I really appreciate the one-touch method. It definitely would be impossible to accidentally set a bookmark on the new Kindle firmware.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #59
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
thx
Be aware you can’t send AZW3 via Send to Kindle, it’s sideloading only. I used Send to Kindle for mobi (no bold option) because I read on two kindle and wanted to sync locations. So I can bold sideloaded AZW3 but can’t sync. Plus I had issues with sideloaded AZW3’s not turning up, even though Calibre said they were on my device. And not going into collections. It drove me nuts trying to sort things out so much so I eventually gave up on sideloaded AZW3s completely. I now read non Amazon books on a Kobo.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #60
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Pjama's point is that it has gone from 2 to 3.

I hate gratuitous extra taps, but I'm with you that 2 makes it harder to accidentally bookmark. Going from 1 to 2 also made it faster and easier to go to existing bookmarks.

I'm skeptical that going to 3 is anything but bad.

Regarding the poll title and available response choices, it strikes me as analogous to the question "when are you going to stop beating your wife?".
I’m running the latest firmware and it is only 2 taps to create one, not 3 (tap in upper right corner, tap on + icon). One tap brings up list of all of the existing bookmarks (with page/location and chapter annotation), which you navigate to by tapping on one of them and then on the page preview (3 taps). Removing takes 3 taps. I don’t think any of this has changed recently (since Page Flip feature).

But I even 2 taps is one too many, not to mention 3 to remove.

Of course, it should be upper right corner 1 tap create, 1 tap delete (as it was in days of old). I would then add long tap gesture to upper right corner as a shortcut to bring up the list of bookmarks (as well as current tap to bring up options, tap bookmarks icon to bring up list).

Despite the inefficiency in creating and removing, I prefer what the current Kindle does because at least it is easier to get to a list of bookmarks and then navigate to them. They aren’t mixed in with the notes and highlights as with the Kindle apps and pre-Page Flip Kindles, which makes them almost useless as navigation aids.

No doubt Kobo eReaders are better at this, but I don’t use bookmarks very much.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote