Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #46
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
My PW3 is clearer than the PW4, but I think it was their change from the recessed screen to the flush and how they didn't upgrade enough or something. Who knows. That side, the flush screen on the Oasis 3 I have is as clear and strong in clarify as the PW3. None of them are fuzzy.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #47
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If, as I've heard it entertained that it's the micro-etched glass that does it, then I would gladly pay a premium price for a premium screen. One that echoes the Voyage's screen.
I will second that, I would also pay a handsome price for a reader with a Voyage quality screen. (And the size of an Oasis, and with physical page shift buttons)
svenlind is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2021, 04:33 AM   #48
re4om
Enthusiast
re4om doesn't litterre4om doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG, Voyage
I am a voyage addicted user )). There are 3 voyage in my family: one for my wife, one for me and the last one for reading epub, fb2 files with kindlebreak. But 6" screen seems too small for now. Maybe kobo sage has the same perfect dark black text.
re4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:10 AM   #49
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by re4om View Post
I am a voyage addicted user )). There are 3 voyage in my family: one for my wife, one for me and the last one for reading epub, fb2 files with kindlebreak. But 6" screen seems too small for now. Maybe kobo sage has the same perfect dark black text.
I'm quite impressed with the Sage so far -- the screen is lovely, though I haven't made any direct comparisons with the Voyage. I like a larger screen and thus have tried all three Kobo ereaders with 8-inch screens. A Voyage with that dimension would be just the ticket (not a fan of buttons here!)
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatermass View Post
...the Voyage would return... unpolluted by "warm light" tech since it's inclusion guarantees a fuzzy, low-contrast screen.
How does warm lighting guarantee a fuzzy, low contrast screen?

I have a Glowlight 3 that has warm lighting and the screen is great. It uses IR instead of capacative touch. The Voyage achieved its clarity through the glass on the front of the screen. I do not think warm lighting has anything to do with anything.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I would submit that the average consumer of a Kindle looks at price first and quality second. Cheapest seems to be the driving factor. Most subscribers here are not the average ereader consumer.
The biggest seller is the Paperwhite, not the basic Kindle. So cheapest isn't the driving force. Just one factor.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #52
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'd really think if Amazon released a new Voyage, which they very likely will never do, it would be a huge seller. Surely they have seen the fanbase for this device for years? A shame they discontinued it. I know some of the thoughts behind why, but people seem to really love the voyage. Then again they'd have to keep the same or even better clarity.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #53
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The biggest seller is the Paperwhite, not the basic Kindle. So cheapest isn't the driving force. Just one factor.
It is when comparing PW vs. Voyage. You just made my point... the PW outsells the more expensive Oasis.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:40 PM   #54
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
As far as I'm aware warm light is just red LEDs mixing with blue so shouldn't have any impact on screen clarity.

Amazon have yet to rival the contrast and clarity of the original Kindle Keyboard. Moving to capacitive touch and no bezel compromised screen clarity despite ppi increasing.

The Voyage is still the Kindle that comes closest to emulating this with modern form factor and UI.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
As far as I'm aware warm light is just red LEDs mixing with blue so shouldn't have any impact on screen clarity.

Doesn't color affect vision? Color seems to effect my vision. When I used to go to concerts, and the lighting would go a dark blue (or maybe purpleish), my vision would start to blur. I assume this would be similar for other people.

For example, red lights are often used at night so night vision isn't adversely affected?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #56
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't color affect vision? Color seems to effect my vision. When I used to go to concerts, and the lighting would go a dark blue (or maybe purpleish), my vision would start to blur. I assume this would be similar for other people.

For example, red lights are often used at night so night vision isn't adversely affected?
Sure, but someone above seemed to be suggesting the inclusion of the warm light somehow compromised the quality of the screen. That's the point I was addressing. Adding more LEDs which the user can disable has no material impact on the clarity of the display. You're talking about individual perception I think.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
Sure, but someone above seemed to be suggesting the inclusion of the warm light somehow compromised the quality of the screen. That's the point I was addressing. Adding more LEDs which the user can disable has no material impact on the clarity of the display. You're talking about individual perception I think.
I agree that in general, adding color LED's shouldn't effect screen quality when they are turned off. But you didn't quote a post. It makes as much sense to me as your "no bezel compromised screen quality".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #58
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Someone on Reddit says the new PW has darker text than the oasis (unclear which Oasis they meant). That sounds promising. Could we have a voyage successor finally?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #59
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Someone on Reddit says the new PW has darker text than the oasis (unclear which Oasis they meant). That sounds promising. Could we have a voyage successor finally?

it's subjective swings and roundabouts https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=342530&page=3 take a look at post 43.

best wishes koboy
koboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #60
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I can well believe the new PW has darker text than the Oasis 2 had. The Oasis 3 or the Voyage? From what I've read and seen so far, don't think so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote