Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #46
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That seems pretty high to me. I pay £47 a month for electricity (about $60), and I'm projected to end the year with a small surplus in my account.
Our (USA) whole residential electricity usage (and electrical codes) is out of wack. My house has an (considered undersized) Main of 100A (120/240V). All new houses get 200A, and some 400A.

BTW $140 was a worst ever (I don't know what happened) usage.
$50-60 is the normal electric + gas (cooking, heating, hot water)
We get charged for the Electricity, another charge for 'Distribution" (the city buys bulk power from the grid), and the state surcharges because it is not 'green' power
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My in-laws lived in Huntington Beach California. The weather never got below 50 or above 80 and the humidity was mostly zero. The sea breeze kept them cool during the day and the breeze off the land kept them warm at night. No AC and the only time they needed heat was mostly in early morning to take the chill out of the air. About 9:00 AM they would open all of the windows and enjoy perfect weather. I remember their utility bill being around $20.00 a month.
Apache
I lived in Long Beach, California, three blocks from the beach. My apartment didn't have heat or air conditioning and I never noticed.

I miss California...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #48
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
In that spirit, I wondered if some people might prefer to send an author a check with an extra $5 and have their book delivered via an inexpensive flash drive.
If I am tossing in an extra $5 and want my reading habits to be anonymous, I expect to receive a dead tree tome that might give me a paper cut while turning pages.

And since I am purchasing it from the author, an *autographed* dead tree tome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #49
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I still write a check each month to pay my utility bill. The fees imposed by the city for paying by credit card or electronic debit are excessive.
My water bill is like this. I get around it by using my bank's BillPay service. I pay online via my bank and they mail a paper check to the utility. I maintain a sufficient balance to get this service at no charge.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
My water bill is like this. I get around it by using my bank's BillPay service. I pay online via my bank and they mail a paper check to the utility. I maintain a sufficient balance to get this service at no charge.
It seems like a strange system. In the UK, pretty much all utility companies offer you a discount for paying by Direct Debit (automated withdrawal from your bank account) because it's less work and expense for them that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #51
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
It seems like a strange system. In the UK, pretty much all utility companies offer you a discount for paying by Direct Debit (automated withdrawal from your bank account) because it's less work and expense for them that way.
Yeah, weird. Here in the Netherlands it's the same way, discounts for direct debit, or the other way around (a surcharge for anything else).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #52
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yeah, weird. Here in the Netherlands it's the same way, discounts for direct debit, or the other way around (a surcharge for anything else).
Here, discounts are available either for direct debits or automatic payments, with surcharges for credit card payments, and possibly cheques.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #53
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Our (USA) whole residential electricity usage (and electrical codes) is out of wack. My house has an (considered undersized) Main of 100A (120/240V). All new houses get 200A, and some 400A.
. I have 25A@230V as my main breaker coming into the house, and that's normal here in the Netherlands.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
. I have 25A@230V as my main breaker coming into the house, and that's normal here in the Netherlands.
It's 100A in the UK.

Domestic power consumption in the UK peaked in 2004, and has been falling steadily year on year since then, due to more energy-efficient devices (particularly lighting). In 2008, the average UK home used 4628 kWh of electricity over the course of the year; in 2017 it was 3760 kWh, a reduction of 19%.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...tion-in-the-uk
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #55
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
When banks and other companies started allowing online bill payment they started out charging a fee. Later most companies eliminated fees for online payments and increased fees for using the telephone and other live interactions for services. I guess my city likes the extra money they make charging for online payment.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #56
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
When banks and other companies started allowing online bill payment they started out charging a fee. Later most companies eliminated fees for online payments and increased fees for using the telephone and other live interactions for services. I guess my city likes the extra money they make charging for online payment.
Apache
This topic came up somewhere before (maybe the Vent & Rant thread?) Someone pointed out that the utility company has to pay fees to the credit card companies. Instead of raising the overall utility rate to cover it, the utilities are charging the fee only to customers who pay by card and not making those who pay by check pay the credit card fee.

I choose online billing even if there's a charge because it means one less piece of mail that I then have to shred or recycle. I still have to pay my rent by check as the landlord is a small family operation and doesn't have an electronic payment option.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #57
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It isn't the fact that they are charging me a fee. It is the fact that they are charging me a much higher "fee" than they are being charged by their processing company.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:55 AM   #58
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Our water utility is behind the times. My electric utility accepts Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) payments with no discount or surcharge. The water utility accepts credit cards with a surcharge.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
It does feel like the whole of the US is years behind in electronic payments.
I found my cheque book recently, and I haven't written a check since 2010. Even our window cleaner accepts bank transfers! And with many car parks now taking contactless payments, the need for cash has pretty much vanished too, they were the last things I carried coins for.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It does feel like the whole of the US is years behind in electronic payments.
I found my cheque book recently, and I haven't written a check since 2010. Even our window cleaner accepts bank transfers! And with many car parks now taking contactless payments, the need for cash has pretty much vanished too, they were the last things I carried coins for.
Not the whole country. Just utilities.
Bear in mind it is a big country with tens of thousands of communities scattered all over, too. Some places were first electrified in the nineteenth century while many newer communities were established in the 21st.
Lots of small businesses and different (often weird) tax regimes, too. Many small businesses don't support the newer digital payments because the added overhead isn't worth it. Cash and Credit/debit card are nearly universal. The rest varies by business.

Some of the "weird" practices have a valid rationale, some don't.

You just grin and shrug it off.

As for the delivery of ebooks via Flash, I doubt any legit business would do it.
DVDs are much cheaper than even the cheapest flash drive and, of course, digital is near-zero incremental cost.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-04-2019 at 09:06 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flash drive