Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #46
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Kobo completely withdrawing from the US market for several years didn't do them any favors.

And I been wanting one for years. I like my Aura from Walmart. Fantastic battery life. I charged it days ago and still is at 97%
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #47
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
I like Walmart.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 02:21 AM   #48
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Kindle/Amazon for ease of site navigation and searches. Also, Kindles are inexpensive and hardy. My Kindle is older than most and still going strong.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:25 AM   #49
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah.

Kindles are designed to read, while Kobos are for mostly tinkering / hacking.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #50
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
This is exactly the same reason I stay with Kindle. Everything else I prefer Kobo over Kindle, but this one killer feature keeps me in Kindle-Land.
Same here. Ever since Kobo got their software sorted, I‘ve started eyeing their offerings. But I really like to read between my Kindle and iPad (e.g. for taking notes, copying quotes etc.) and that is something that is simply not supported on Kobo for books other than those that you get from their store.
Kobo has more recently acquired the German tolino brand backend technology. I wonder if they will make use of that system which seems to work really well for integrating all kinds of different sources.
Also, the dictionaries on Kindle are SO MUCH BETTER. It is crazy to see how a company like Kobo that stresses reading experience so much has such terrible offerings in the dictionary department. At the least, they should offer well-redacted dictionaries on their store, like Amazon does for language combinations that aren’t included for free.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Yeah.

Kindles are designed to read, while Kobos are for mostly tinkering / hacking.
Sorry, Kobos are designed for reading just as much as a Kindle is. The difference is that Kobos allow more tinkering.

But, in reality, that both of these device are designed for reading is only a side effect of their real purpose. That is to make their manufactures money.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #52
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I think one big difference is reputation of customer service / support depts.

Whatever the objective merits, and of individual horror stories, amazon has a reputation for excellent customer service, fast shipping, no quibble replacements... & Kobo has the opposite.

and given that in many countries you still cannot buy a Kobo at a physical store, good online support and repair is crucial

I think that both companies only give a miserly 1 year warranty as standard on e-readers, and extended warranty offers are harder to find. For me that's ok on a £60 basic item but not on a £200+ top of range reader
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #53
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, Kobos are designed for reading just as much as a Kindle is. The difference is that Kobos allow more tinkering.

But, in reality, that both of these device are designed for reading is only a side effect of their real purpose. That is to make their manufactures money.
Real purpose?

What else does Rakuten sell?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #54
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Real purpose?

What else does Rakuten sell?
Rakuten is huge. The Amazon of Japan
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #55
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
But I really like to read between my Kindle and iPad (e.g. for taking notes, copying quotes etc.) and that is something that is simply not supported on Kobo for books other than those that you get from their store.

That is actually not true. It might be true that you can only highlight and annotate books in Kobo's kepub format (I don't know, I only read in kepub format), but you can very easily sideload any regular ePub onto your Kobo as a kepub; or have kepubify or davidfor's Calibre plugin do the sideloading for you (it doesn't require a conversion).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
That is actually not true. It might be true that you can only highlight and annotate books in Kobo's kepub format (I don't know, I only read in kepub format), but you can very easily sideload any regular ePub onto your Kobo as a kepub; or have kepubify or davidfor's Calibre plugin do the sideloading for you (it doesn't require a conversion).
He's not saying you can't sideload on both. He's saying that if you sideload Moby Dick on to a Kindle and read to chapter 5, you can then grab a tablet with the Kindle app and it will see the sideloaded book and open it to chapter 5.

Kobo only does that with books purchased from the Kobo store. Not sideloaded books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #57
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Why do more people know Amazon but not Kobo eReaders?
Amazon has been around longer, they spend millions on marketing making them a household name, and they were the first to leverage their brand into an ereader to the point that "Kindle" has practically become a generic name for a dedicated reading device.

That's really all there is to it.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #58
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
You can highlight and annotate books also with Epub, and You can export your annotations into Facebook.

Last edited by ps67; 10-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #59
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
please read again, thanks!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #60
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
Kobos also allow one to sideload a bunch of public domain books from Project Gutenberg and the MobileRead library for free. There may be Kindle formatted versions of those works, but, if you're only going to have one device for books you buy, books you borrow, and books you download from public domain sites, you'll want a Kobo (or my beloved Sony T1).
This was the primary reason I went with Kobo when I was first in the market for an ereader. epub seemed like a more widely supported format, and Kobo, unlike the Kindle and Nook offerings, didn't reserve a large portion of internal storage for purchased books while leaving only a tiny sliver for sideloading. I've had my Kobo Aura for 4-years now, and if it ever dies, I'm buying another Kobo even if I have to order from an overseas retailer.

For the record, my digital book collection is 100% DRM free. There's also the fact that Kobo firmware can be easily modified by the user.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 10-08-2018 at 10:57 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote