Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #46
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I suspect you haven't tried alpha 4. Commas in names are left alone. Periods are left alone unless they are at the beginning or the end of the segment. For example, a book with
Code:
title=Unknown. Mankind is doomed
Author=Weber, David
when used with the CC template "{authors}/{title} - {authors}" produces the path
Code:
Weber, David/Unknown. Mankind is doomed - Weber, David.epub
You can see that the periods and the commas are still there.

Regardless, I won't argue with you about it. Thanks for your help, and best wishes for the future.
My posts from alpha 3 showed problems with both commas and periods being changed to underscores. Your reply said that the substitution was intended. Alpha 4 change log said nothing about fixing that - how was I supposed to know you had fixed it?

I wasn't trying to argue with you before, sorry if it seemed that way. But now I think maybe I am.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #47
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Re: CC Templates/Content Server pull/Wireless Device Push ...

Confusion reigns and I have to confess my head's in a bit of a spin with all this. For day-to-day purposes I normally only use the Wireless Device transfer method but with alpha-tester hat on I thought I'd better try the Content Server method as well. (CC Cloud is not a practical option for me)

Calibre GUI Customize Smart_Device_App has Save template:
{author_sort} - {series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}

I've also set up a new CC template on Note3/Android 5.0/CC5.0.0.4:
{author_sort} - {series}{series_index:%02d| | - }{title}

In CC Settings - Filenames, I have checked only:
- Use CC template everywhere
- Replace existing book files

If I transfer 2 books from the same Series, one via Wireless Device the other via Content Server I correctly get a 'matched pair' of filenames, namely
Wireless: Galbraith, Robert - Cormoran Strike 01 - The Cuckoo's Calling.epub
Content Server: Galbraith, Robert - Cormoran Strike 02 - The Silkworm.epub

... so far, so good. However, as I don't use CC Cloud, according to the FAQ here I should be able to use Solution 2.

So I tried changing CC Settings - Filenames to check only:
- Use calibre's file names
- Replace existing book files

Now transferring the same 2 books I no longer get a matched pair of filenames I get
Wireless: Galbraith, Robert - Cormoran Strike 01 - The Cuckoo's Calling.epub
Content Server: The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith.epub
i.e. the Content Server has reverted to {title} - {authors}
ETA: The CC template I created is still there

Is Solution 2 no longer an option or have I missed something obvious?

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-14-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #48
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
My posts from alpha 3 showed problems with both commas and periods being changed to underscores. Your reply said that the substitution was intended. Alpha 4 change log said nothing about fixing that - how was I supposed to know you had fixed it?
The change log did say it, but it is *very easy* to miss or not understand. The log said that CC had been changed to work more like calibre for file names. Post #39 gives those rules. In particular, rule #1 says that calibre [intentionally] changes some characters to underscores, and specifically changes characters that are not one of !, $, %, ^, &, (, ), =, -, {, }, \, [, ], @, ~, ', #, comma, period, _, and /. Comma and period are on that list, so CC won't change them to underscores. That is what "fixed" your problem. Rule 2 is what fixes the trailing period in folder names problem.

My apologies for the confusion. Sometimes I even confuse myself.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:54 AM   #49
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackie_w: this stuff is extremely complicated. The problem is that because of history and because of desire for compatibility, CC and calibre options overlap and affect each other. In addition, "sending a book" behavior changes if the book is already on the device. For example, by default calibre will reuse an existing file name for a book no matter what the calibre template says. The same is true for CC's content server and cloud connections, assuming that no options are selected in CC's File name settings. If I were starting over and if I knew what I know today, CC would support *only* the CC template option.

I strongly suspect that you did not delete the books off the device between test 1 and test 2. This means that when you sent the book from calibre using the wireless device, calibre reused the file name from the first test. CC sees a file name that exists and is identical to what is there, so it is happy to use it. In other words, the calibre template was ignored.

When you pulled a book using the content server via book details, CC generates a file name. I see that there is a very longstanding bug here in that CC ignored the "calibre template" option you set. Because "Replace" was checked, CC's generated file name replaced the previous name. Had you pulled the book by long-pressing (which you couldn't because the book was already on the device), the option would have been respected and the calibre-generated name would have replaced the CC name. Given the behavior of the wireless device, it is not clear that this is good behavior.

My head hurts when trying to work through all of this.

One thing is sure: the fact that the calibre-generated file name is ignored when the option is set and downloading from content server book details is wrong.

I am considering whether the replace option should be checkable only if templates are in use. Given the cross-product of the calibre file name options and their behavior, I suspect not. Explaining when a file name is reused and when a file is replaced is next to impossible.

I am also considering whether I should make "Use templates" and "Replace files" the default for new CC installs. This would have the nice property that the same file name would be used everywhere and that CC would emulate the calibre wireless device behavior of "reuse filenames". If I do this then I would make CC's default template be "{title} - {authors} ({id})", which is the calibre default.

More when I get back (next post).
Old 02-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #50
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I will be away until late Wednesday. I will have email but no ability to do any development or look at source code.
Advert
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #51
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The change log did say it, but it is *very easy* to miss or not understand. The log said that CC had been changed to work more like calibre for file names. Post #39 gives those rules. In particular, rule #1 says that calibre [intentionally] changes some characters to underscores, and specifically changes characters that are not one of !, $, %, ^, &, (, ), =, -, {, }, \, [, ], @, ~, ', #, comma, period, _, and /. Comma and period are on that list, so CC won't change them to underscores. That is what "fixed" your problem. Rule 2 is what fixes the trailing period in folder names problem.

My apologies for the confusion. Sometimes I even confuse myself.
Thank you for the explanation. I had no reason to look that closely especially since you specifically said that substituting the underscore for periods in the file name was intended behavior and would not be changing.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #52
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of templates in CC. I use them in Calibre when I am transferring books to my Kindle, because I don't have CC on my kindle and can't tell which books are part of which series, or what order they go in. But I do have CC on my Android device and can see the metadata. So what kind of template would I use to make my life better?
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #53
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I strongly suspect that you did not delete the books off the device between test 1 and test 2. This means that when you sent the book from calibre using the wireless device, calibre reused the file name from the first test. CC sees a file name that exists and is identical to what is there, so it is happy to use it. In other words, the calibre template was ignored.
Actually, no. For all the tests I've done so far I've always deleted the book before trying to resend. Even though I've checked Settings - Filenames - Replace existing book files, I haven't tried to test this option yet.

Quote:
When you pulled a book using the content server via book details, CC generates a file name. I see that there is a very longstanding bug here in that CC ignored the "calibre template" option you set. Because "Replace" was checked, CC's generated file name replaced the previous name. Had you pulled the book by long-pressing (which you couldn't because the book was already on the device), the option would have been respected and the calibre-generated name would have replaced the CC name. Given the behavior of the wireless device, it is not clear that this is good behavior.
Hmmm. I've just done Content Server downloads for 2 books which have never previously been on the phone - one with long-press and one with standard-press-plus-DOWNLOAD-button. Both of them incorrectly transferred with a {title} - {authors} filename.
ETA: Mea maxima culpa. I really need to remember that when alpha/beta-testing I must revert to using the official SmartDevice App Interface 0.0.1 driver, not the subclassed personal one I've been using for ages to force a small CSS change during book transfer. I've redone the Content Server tests (long-press and short-press) for 2 not-on-device-books. Filenaming is working correctly in 5.0.0.4 for the 'Use calibre's file names' setting.

I realise it is not reasonable for me to pursue why my personalised driver fails to rename correctly at this time. Maybe later (much later) when you have some free time after the v5 production release.

Quote:
My head hurts when trying to work through all of this.
You're not wrong about that

No need to reply until it's convenient.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-16-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: mea culpa
Old 02-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #54
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of templates in CC. I use them in Calibre when I am transferring books to my Kindle, because I don't have CC on my kindle and can't tell which books are part of which series, or what order they go in. But I do have CC on my Android device and can see the metadata. So what kind of template would I use to make my life better?
Are you, perhaps, getting confused between
  • a Metadata Plugboard which uses a template to change the metadata inside the book, which the Kindle uses to populate its booklists
  • a CC template which will affect the physical filenames when the books are stored on the Android device. Some Android reader apps can use filename to sync reading progress across multiple Android devices (akin to Amazon WhisperSync feature). If you use different CC transfer methods to transfer books to your various Android devices you need to be sure the filename is the same on each device to have any hope of progress-syncing.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #55
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was, and that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #56
kaufman

I think I found a bug, but I don't know if it it related to the new version or if it has been around for a while.

I hit the connect button and selected "wireless/sync books" and the program went back to the book list. I figured I had missed the menu popup and went back and did it again. It started the connection, but then after a while, I got a failure popup (or rather pop-under) from the first connection.

It appears that the first connection had started, but it was taking its time about failing, but CC didn't mind me starting a second connection while the first one was running.

I am enclosing a screen shot so you can see what I mean.

Edit: After the metadata finished syncing, I closed the dialog box and at this point, I was still connected and could send files, but CC would let me change all settings and try to connect again.

Last edited by kaufman; 02-16-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #57
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I think I found a bug, but I don't know if it it related to the new version or if it has been around for a while.

I hit the connect button and selected "wireless/sync books" and the program went back to the book list. I figured I had missed the menu popup and went back and did it again. It started the connection, but then after a while, I got a failure popup (or rather pop-under) from the first connection.
I suspect that this might be related to the compatibility library dropping support for the "progress spinner" in the action bar. Perhaps I need to do something such as disable menus. Clearly I need to look at it.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #58
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@jackie_w: I will first check that I understand what CC is actually doing. After that I will look at what I think it *should* be doing. Depending on what I find, I will either describe the conditions of make a new CC release that works in some rational ( ) fashion.

When you connect to the content server, is it started by the GUI or by a command line? One problem with that CC option is that it working correctly depends on how the content server is started and what configuration is being used.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #59
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@jackie_w: I will first check that I understand what CC is actually doing. After that I will look at what I think it *should* be doing. Depending on what I find, I will either describe the conditions of make a new CC release that works in some rational ( ) fashion.
When you connect to the content server, is it started by the GUI or by a command line? One problem with that CC option is that it working correctly depends on how the content server is started and what configuration is being used.
Content Server always started via GUI.
May not be able to do any testing for a few days. WiFi is down and stuck with trying to type on phone.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:13 AM   #60
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Substituting an underscore for a period is simply not working for me. I have tried with new books, old books, Dropbox, internal sd, external. See screenshot of template editor.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1455772260158.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	146446