Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #46
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
A disaster for me. I've already ordered my PW2. Really looking forward to it - it'll be here Friday.
Since you have some of those early kindles, the K1, K2 and K3, you are in a position to compare the implementation of the page turn buttons on the early kindles to the implementation of the buttons on the new voyage. What do you think? Did the old ones have it right and the new voyage show that amazon does not learn from past experience? Or did the new voyage get it right while the old ones were simply practice for the page turn buttons on the voyage.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #47
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I need to page back from time to time.
Try using swipe for that. I find that on the occasional time I need to go backwards, I am already out of the reading trance, so swiping is not a big deal for me.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #48
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm curious--why convert to epub? Moon + handles .mobi just fine.
I bet its because some of the books are protected AZW3, and since he has to convert some of them, he just converts them all.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #49
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have no issues with the page turn buttons whatsoever. They work just like they are supposed to. I get no lag with the "back" turn or the "forward" turn, and I am not getting any accidental turns. I'm glad there are no bumps or any other raised surfaces that would mar the fit and finish of this beautiful device. Once you get used to the page turns, your fingers know where they are without having to feel around.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
I have no issues with the page turn buttons whatsoever. They work just like they are supposed to. I get no lag with the "back" turn or the "forward" turn, and I am not getting any accidental turns. I'm glad there are no bumps or any other raised surfaces that would mar the fit and finish of this beautiful device. Once you get used to the page turns, your fingers know where they are without having to feel around.
But do you hold the Voyage with just one hand? I do, and that becomes problematic as a fat thumb is difficult to position without causing accidental page turns. Holding with two hands it is easier to avoid accidental page turns, but I prefer single hand hold and operation.
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #51
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Try using swipe for that. I find that on the occasional time I need to go backwards, I am already out of the reading trance, so swiping is not a big deal for me.
If I get a Voyage, I'll consider trying that. Wouldn't a tap also work, or would that risk starting a highlight or something?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #52
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
But do you hold the Voyage with just one hand? I do, and that becomes problematic as a fat thumb is difficult to position without causing accidental page turns. Holding with two hands it is easier to avoid accidental page turns, but I prefer single hand hold and operation.
I always hold my reader in one hand, and so far the only accidental page turn I've had was when my finger slipped over and touched the screen. I have the page press set to the lowest, and I still have to apply enough pressure to activate it that I can't see ever turning a page accidentally using it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #53
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I usually hold it with one hand with the corner resting on my palm. I have never had an accidental tap.

I occasionally hold it in both hands and haven't had one that way either.

Even when I read with my thumbs resting on the zones, it doesn't turn pages unless I want it to. Are you holding it by just squeezing it with two fingers? That might do it, although I am curious as to how you were tapping the screen to turn pages without dropping it.

If your grip allows you to lift you thumb without dropping it, than I can't understand how your thumb is pressing hard enough to turn pages when you don't want it to.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #54
kaufman

Quote:
If I get a Voyage, I'll consider trying that. Wouldn't a tap also work, or would that risk starting a highlight or something?
I tap on the screen would work if you are tapping in the correct area. A swipe always works.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #55
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
(I guess they would have to rethink that huge Kindle logo as well.)
Pleasantly, the Kindle logo on the KV is much less obtrusive than on my PW1 or PW2.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #56
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Did the old ones have it right and the new voyage show that amazon does not learn from past experience? Or did the new voyage get it right while the old ones were simply practice for the page turn buttons on the voyage.
IMO only, the KV buttons are really dogs. I prefer the function of those older buttons to the KV. I think the KV is Amazon seeking to find an answer to the button question in a touchscreen world. They didn't find it for me. I turned them off and kept them off, despite numerous attempts to use them. For me, they just aren't where they need to be, technologically speaking. The touch interface is much faster than the buttons and they way they were designed makes them useless with the way I hold my Kindles and read.

Last edited by pghaworth; 10-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #57
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I tap on the screen would work if you are tapping in the correct area. A swipe always works.
I just can't get used to swiping, even though it quite a bit better than turning paper pages.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #58
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Buttons are nice, but I quickly got past not having them on a Nook ST. Well, actually it does have buttons, but they are so awful I wouldn't dream of using them.

I picked up an old PRS-650 and it was kinda weird having buttons again, though not in a bad way.

Re: not page turning in landscape mode, and not scrolling menus, etc. It shows Amazon got a basic version of the software out the door, and presumably will extend it later. I suppose that makes sense. There's less that can go wrong. Either that, or they simply are working on a tight deadline for release before xmas.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #59
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Pleasantly, the Kindle logo on the KV is much less obtrusive than on my PW1 or PW2.
But wouldn't it look weird upside down? (For text rotated 180 degrees in order to swap the locations of the page turn buttons, as discussed above.)
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #60
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Buttons are nice, but I quickly got past not having them on a Nook ST.
I bet you are right handed. Since the Kindle touch-screen interface is optimized for righties, my guess is that righties have an easier time with it.

Tags
voyage