Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
These are called RGB LEDs, meaning Red-Green-Blue. This is the same way that colour TVs or computer monitors work. There are three LEDs in each LED package and they cost significantly more than the white LEDs do.

And Kobo would have to add the firmware to let you manage the colour changes.

Kobo should have specified a specific colour temperature of white LEDs to their contract manufacturers, what remains to be seen is if they in fact made this specification, or if the manufacturers have ignored this specification. In either case, Kobo is responsible for the variation in LED colours that people are seeing.
Swap the waterproofing for color adjustment and I would be happy. They could make up the price difference with the increased sales it would generate.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #47
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My replacement H20 was clear and much whiter than the original H20.

Pity it doesn't actually work properly!
What is the problem with your new unit?
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #48
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Swap the waterproofing for color adjustment and I would be happy. They could make up the price difference with the increased sales it would generate.
I am on board with that. For the premium, flagship model of an ereader that kind of option would make sense. The consumer pays more and expects more in return.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #49
desert dog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Oh boy, just read about the troubles you are having with your 2nd unit over in the First Impressions thread. Good luck, I hope it works out!!!. keep us in the loop..
Old 10-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #50
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Not the screen, that's lovely, it's just I can't use it with my pc, I get a 'please format your disc' message as soon as it's connected. It won't load drivers and I can't access the kobo drive at all.

I can't use it with Calibre or even the Kobo desktop. All I can do is download the books i've bought from kobo via wifi. I spoke to Kobo, the best that could suggest was a system restore which I did, other than that rerun it for a refund/replacement.

Number 3 is due tomorrow, as well as a collection for this one.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Not the screen, that's lovely, it's just I can't use it with my pc, I get a 'please format your disc' message as soon as it's connected. It won't load drivers and I can't access the kobo drive at all.

I can't use it with Calibre or even the Kobo desktop. All I can do is download the books i've bought from kobo via wifi. I spoke to Kobo, the best that could suggest was a system restore which I did, other than that rerun it for a refund/replacement.

Number 3 is due tomorrow, as well as a collection for this one.
Have you tried using a different USB cable?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #52
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried using a different USB cable?
You actually raised my hopes there for a minute Harry. I had only tried one cable. So I got out of bed, went downstairs, turned my Pc on and tried different cables and different USB ports.

Same issue. I need to format the drive, I either have no drivers or the disc is corrupt.

As I said it syncs fine over wifi, I just can't use it with my pc, it's not acceptable like that, I need it to work with calibre. I can't even access the kobo folder/drive it won't let me access it.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #53
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
You actually raised my hopes there for a minute Harry. I had only tried one cable. So I got out of bed, went downstairs, turned my Pc on and tried different cables and different USB ports.

Same issue. I need to format the drive, I either have no drivers or the disc is corrupt.

As I said it syncs fine over wifi, I just can't use it with my pc, it's not acceptable like that, I need it to work with calibre. I can't even access the kobo folder/drive it won't let me access it.
A long shot, have you thought about it being the Pc rejecting the new replacement H2O due to the fact it bonded closely with the original one? IF that's the case the prognosis is not good. Unless you can convince the Pc that accepting a new H2O is in its best interest.... But then that carries certain risks as well.....

Good luck

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
A long shot, have you thought about it being the Pc rejecting the new replacement H2O due to the fact it bonded closely with the original one? IF that's the case the prognosis is not good. Unless you can convince the Pc that accepting a new H2O is in its best interest.... But then that carries certain risks as well.....
Not likely. With the error Josieb1 has reported, it is the OS reporting there is a problem with the drive partition it sees. If there are problems with the drivers, it usually means the PC doesn't report seeing the device, or can't load the drivers. It doesn't get to the point were it checks the partition. But, it might be worthwhile, if Josieb1 is using a Windows machine, to get USBDeview and use it to delete all the Kobo device/drivers it reports as installed. That won't harm anything, it just means that Windows will report it is installing the driver the next time a Kobo device is plugged in.

I think a factory reset is more likely to fix this. It reformats the partition so hopefully will solve the problem. If that doesn't, then it is probably a problem with the internal memory. In that case, the device should be returned as faulty.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #55
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not likely. With the error Josieb1 has reported, it is the OS reporting there is a problem with the drive partition it sees. If there are problems with the drivers, it usually means the PC doesn't report seeing the device, or can't load the drivers. It doesn't get to the point were it checks the partition. But, it might be worthwhile, if Josieb1 is using a Windows machine, to get USBDeview and use it to delete all the Kobo device/drivers it reports as installed. That won't harm anything, it just means that Windows will report it is installing the driver the next time a Kobo device is plugged in.

I think a factory reset is more likely to fix this. It reformats the partition so hopefully will solve the problem. If that doesn't, then it is probably a problem with the internal memory. In that case, the device should be returned as faulty.
If I try to connect my kobo Aura to my pc, if that's okay is it worth trying USBDeview? I did connect my Aura to the PC after the first H20 went back, but I haven't done so since I had problems with the new one.

Obviously if it isn't then I might give it a go.

The factory reset doesn't work, I've tried three times.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If I try to connect my kobo Aura to my pc, if that's okay is it worth trying USBDeview? I did connect my Aura to the PC after the first H20 went back, but I haven't done so since I had problems with the new one.
Yes, it is still worth trying USBDeview. When you open it, you will be able to see the firmware version number and the serial number. So, it is possible that one will work and another will not. As the Aura works, it proves the PC can talk to Kobo devices and makes it more likely to be a faulty H2O. But, is there any chance of trying another PC?
Quote:
Obviously if it isn't then I might give it a go.

The factory reset doesn't work, I've tried three times.
I think three times is more than enough. Unless another PC sees it properly, it's faulty and you should take it back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #57
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, it is still worth trying USBDeview. When you open it, you will be able to see the firmware version number and the serial number. So, it is possible that one will work and another will not. As the Aura works, it proves the PC can talk to Kobo devices and makes it more likely to be a faulty H2O. But, is there any chance of trying another PC?

I think three times is more than enough. Unless another PC sees it properly, it's faulty and you should take it back.
I used USBDeview to disable my previous H20 attempts (I can stop these as the H20 is on 3.7 and my Aura is on 3.8, that connects fine)
I then did a factory reset.
I then used another USB port to connect my H20 to my pc.
Kobo desktop is open (to try and set it up via that as I know it sets up fine on wifi).
Drivers popped up
Then the windows message I get when connecting a USB device, the one that asks you if you want to open it to look at files.

Looking good I think, but no

Kobo desktop asks me if my device is connected (so it can't see it)
I try to click into the device folder and it says 'please insert a disc in KOBO E'

I guess its just faulty

I could try another PC but tbh I am now thinking if its this much hassle to get it to work, if I did on another PC what if it goes wrong later. DH wants me to have one working straight out of the box, and for £140 he's not wrong.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-14-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #58
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
A yellow screen is not good, but a yellow tinted light can be considered a feature, not a bug. All LCDs you are used to are probably too blue. On my iPad I run f.lux to make the screen warmer.

What you think of as neutral light is probably too blue for night use. Blue light has been shown to disrupt sleep pattern.

Try using the screen for a while. You may grow to appreciate it

A light with adjustable temperature would be the best. That would not be another gimmick of dubious value. Which means we will probably never get it.

I don't know why tablets and phones don't let you adjust the temperature of the display. This is one of my pet peeve. Considering high end mobile devices now have the best display owned by the average person, who spends hours a day staring at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I suspect they vary, a little. But perception also varies - a lot. It took me only a very short while to get used to having f.lux on my computer, for example. If I do an abrupt transition, the thing looks absurdly pink/orange. With a gradual transition, I don't notice it at all. As I became accustomed, I pushed the temp further - 4500 K for daytime, right down to 2100 K at night. (I don't do colour-sensitive stuff on my computer, obviously! Mainly text-based stuff.) Wikipedia tells me that 4500 is between moonlight and horizon daylight, and 2100 is just a little cooler than a candle flame or sunset.

I'm in favour of less blue lighting - it should be better for sleep.
It is impressive to see the two most scientifically literate messages in this discussion almost totally ignored by average people.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #59
Iefmathias
Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
If I do an abrupt transition, the thing looks absurdly pink/orange. With a gradual transition, I don't notice it at all. As I became accustomed, I pushed the temp further - 4500 K for daytime, right down to 2100 K at night. (I don't do colour-sensitive stuff on my computer, obviously! Mainly text-based stuff.
Hah! I actually do a lot of colour sensitive stuff and it has happened more than once that I finished a design or an illustration, only to realise f-lux was in night time mode the whole time... d'oh.

But good points. Every blue or yellow frontlight will look white at one point or another, it just depends on the ambient light and surroundings. My much whiter HD - in a dimly lit living room - looked very blue in the bus, my new H20 looks nice and white in that same bus. It looks much more yellow in that living room, though. There's a sweet white spot for every ereader out there, somewhere.

That said, I would pay a lot for an ereader with adjustable temperatures!
I don't know a great deal about the technicalities of LEDs, would that even be possible?
Iefmathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #60
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
It is impressive to see the two most scientifically literate messages in this discussion almost totally ignored by average people.
Because MR is a meeting ground for the scientifically literate?
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote