Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #46
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Meh.....eInk is what it is, a slow antiquated, low resolution screen whose time has come and gone.
One of these years that may well be true, but just because you are happy to have left an e-ink reader behind for a tablet, doesn't mean it becomes fact if you say it over and over again.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #47
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Firmware (Also for other kindle versions)
- better margin adjust (slider like the light one)
- more font sizes (slider like the light one)
- see the cover of the reading book as screensaver
- option to begin the book in the cover
- Add new user fonts

Hardware (For pw3)
- turnpage buttons
- 6,8''
- microSD
-android 4.2
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchamaco View Post
- option to begin the book in the cover
I think if you don't put anything in the guide of an ePub before it's converted to AZW3, it then opens at the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #49
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
In order of importance:

- higher DPI.
- faster processor.
- larger screen.
- improved margin/line spacing options.
- better support for PDF (the current support is absolutely pathetic).
- support for ePub (probably not gonna happen...).
- support for CBR/CBZ formats.
- up to 16 GB storage (to accommodate for the above formats).
- better image viewer.
- wireless charging and comes with a Bluetooth adapter for transferring files, making it completely air-tight/waterproof. Or, instead of wireless charging, they could implement solar cells into the screen (or at least on the back, on the opposite top margin, etc), and never have to charge the device again!
Solar cells on the back might work....or perhaps on the front of the kindle cover.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #50
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
No light.
No 3G or Wi-Fi. Manage books by usb and calibre.
No dictionary
Wow, you want to get rid of three of the most important features.

I'd like:

More memory, bring it back to 4GB.
Lighter
More customization: margin control, book cover as screen when turned off.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #51
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I would actually like to see proper software for Mac (and PC) that improves the way one could work with Kindle books (copy&paste and support for personal documents as well in there). Then I'd consider buying a Kindle again. Right now, the platform itself is worse than iBooks...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #52
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
People have been asking for better margin and line spacing control every 2 or 3 posts. This is the easiest thing to do, even for the current gen devices, and yet THEY WON'T DO IT. What the hell, Amazon?
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #53
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
People have been asking for better margin and line spacing control every 2 or 3 posts. This is the easiest thing to do, even for the current gen devices, and yet THEY WON'T DO IT. What the hell, Amazon?
I agree with this--Love my PW2, but wish I could make the margins narrower--wasted space. I'd also like more control over line spacing. Just last week, my husband gave me an Aura HD for my birthday, and the amount of customization over margins, line spacing, font sizing and weight is wonderful. Wish that Amazon would incorporate a similar amount of flexibility into their PWs.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #54
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
What's nut is the largest margin setting is huge! Who actually use that? It's not like you can write on the margins. It's like they are mocking the many people who want smaller margins.

Anyway, this is why I'm not buying the next kindle till it's jailbroken.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #55
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I agree with this--Love my PW2, but wish I could make the margins narrower--wasted space. I'd also like more control over line spacing. Just last week, my husband gave me an Aura HD for my birthday, and the amount of customization over margins, line spacing, font sizing and weight is wonderful. Wish that Amazon would incorporate a similar amount of flexibility into their PWs.
Me three on this! I have been using my PW2 a lot over the summer as I read outside in the sun and I'm constantly wishing I could make customization changes. So frustrating.

dordale - what do you think of the screen on the Aura HD compared to the PW2?

Last edited by sparklemotion; 08-23-2014 at 01:51 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #56
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I'd like to see

More storage
More fonts with some customisation
More range for the lighting
Lighter
Slightly bigger screen but not substantially bigger in overall size (Like the Kobo Aura)
Sharper screen, higher DPI
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #57
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'd like it to have Samba installed.

Samba is the component that provides Windows-shares on Unix, Linux, BSD and Mac computers. The Kindle could provide its document folder as a Windows share, allowing me to map that share to a drive letter.

Calibre could then handle that drive letter as a Kindle, allowing me to sideload books to the Kindle without connecting it to the computer. This would make WiFi useful for me.

As the T68 is an Android reader, and Samba is available for Android, that reader could actually provide this functionality already.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #58
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I'd like it to have Samba installed.

Samba is the component that provides Windows-shares on Unix, Linux, BSD and Mac computers. The Kindle could provide its document folder as a Windows share, allowing me to map that share to a drive letter.

Calibre could then handle that drive letter as a Kindle, allowing me to sideload books to the Kindle without connecting it to the computer. This would make WiFi useful for me.

As the T68 is an Android reader, and Samba is available for Android, that reader could actually provide this functionality already.
Or Dropbox integration.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #59
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
I would be interested in audio. I didn't find it interesting in previous versions, but now with whispersync for voice, I would enjoy being able to have my audio books right there.

For the person asking about why anyone would use the largest margin, I find that my 4 year old finds it easier to read (she is reading her first chapter book to me) if she has fewer words per line. We've mostly gotten by with just increasing the font on her kindle keyboard, and using our fingers, but if she still struggles, changing the margin might help.

This is, of course, a very specialized situation, but I think I read someplace that some people with dyslexia also find shorter lines easier to read.

Anyway, I have very few improvements I would like to see. Audio would be nice (especially if there was an option for immersion reading, although that would sap the battery), and I wish they would fix the cloud collections, as they are useless in their current state. (Interestingly, I think they were done pretty well on the fire hdx...)
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #60
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Me three on this! I have been using my PW2 a lot over the summer as I read outside in the sun and I'm constantly wishing I could make customization changes. So frustrating.

dordale - what do you think of the screen on the Aura HD compared to the PW2?
sparklemotion--I have to say that I find the screens of the Aura HD and the PW2 very similar--both very good. But the customizaiton on the Aura HD tips the balance in its favor. Being able to change the weight of the fonts to make them more bold makes the fonts stand out more.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote