Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #46
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can make predictions too. I predict that in the year 2064 Population will have grown to a much higher figure than now.
Machines will rule humans and use them as batteries and humans will wage a war on the machines to regain control of earth but machines will drive humans deep inside the earth where some last human city will be in hiding. As for the humans remaining on the surface, they will be put in a permanent sleep during which they will be wet-wired to a computer generated environment that mimics real life. The war will never be really won as it ends up in a draw, a truce of some kind.
Oh and by that time I will be very old.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #47
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The first TV dinner, put on the market in 1954, cost 99 cents. That's the equivalent of $8.66 in 2013 dollars. These days, a higher-end TV dinner costs about $4.50. I can get a low-end TV dinner (more or less the equivalent of the 1954 version) for under $1.00.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #48
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In Arthur C. Clarke's 1975 novel "Imperial Earth", written before the days of PCs or handheld computing devices, he describes a handheld device which changes the appearance of its controls depending on what function it's being put to - ie a tablet computer.
The Altair 8800 personal computer and a range of Hewlett-Packard handheld computing devices were on the market in 1975.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #49
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My Kitchen does that, your's doesn't?
If by "kitchen" you mean "wife", then yes
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanaco View Post
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
That's just not right.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's just not right.....
...but funny as hell
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #53
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I can make predictions too.
The thing to remember about Asimov is that he was a trained scientist who spent a lot of time writing about science (the real stuff, not just the fictional stuff). As such, he had a very good idea of what was possible technologically and where research was heading.

He did get some things wrong. Predicting how society will respond to technology is always a risky business, and it is impossible to predict unexpected discoveries. Research interests will also change with time. That makes long range predictions risky and short range predictions safer, but that is mostly a generational thing. But when all is said and done, he did have a better chance at accurately predicting the future than wishful thinkers.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #54
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
http://www.spd-systems.com/residentialwd.htm

This site has some photos of the type of glass I was talking about. I think there is more than one company doing this because there is also this:

http://innovativeglasscorp.com/lc-privacy
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'm fairly convinced that my wife thinks the kitchen door is a magic portal that I go through and return with food or coffee for her. Of course, the cats know the real truth.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #56
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
When I gaze into a crystal ball I tend to rely on statements made by Microsoft (...) Microsoft has said that
"640K should keep everyone happy for the next 10 years" - Gates in 1981.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #57
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm fairly convinced that my wife thinks the kitchen door is a magic portal that I go through and return with food or coffee for her. Of course, the cats know the real truth.
Yes they are sure that the food and coffee is rightfully theirs.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #58
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hey are you calling me a wishful thinker?

The thing is I love Asimov's books (especially his Foundation cycle) and I respect him as both a novelist and scientist and I totally agree with you on this one, except on calling me a wishful thinker, I'm actually not even that, I only predicted a certain future. Then I realized it was only what I saw in the movie The Matrix. O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The thing to remember about Asimov is that he was a trained scientist who spent a lot of time writing about science (the real stuff, not just the fictional stuff). As such, he had a very good idea of what was possible technologically and where research was heading.

He did get some things wrong. Predicting how society will respond to technology is always a risky business, and it is impossible to predict unexpected discoveries. Research interests will also change with time. That makes long range predictions risky and short range predictions safer, but that is mostly a generational thing. But when all is said and done, he did have a better chance at accurately predicting the future than wishful thinkers.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #59
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Hey are you calling me a wishful thinker?
This is the Internet. For a moment there I thought that you were the machine!