Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Brust's current publisher is Tor, and I kept hoping the Tor-Baen deal would revive and his books would appear, but no luck so far. His last P.A. thought he might actually hold the rights to electronic versions, especially for his older books. I'm going to try to work with the new P.A. to see if we can get this moving, preferably at Baen.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #47
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is one thing to "demonize" imaginary aliens; it's something else entirely to do the same thing to the 1bn+ believers of a major world religion. I live in an area which has a large Islamic minority population. It would make me feel very uncomfortable for one of my Muslim friends to read these books.
I am curious...
(sorry I didn't read this particulat book, so I don't know how badly this one of the major religions is demonised over there)

Did you read Hyperion and other 3 volumes? Did you like it?

I will continue after you reply to this one
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #48
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post

Did you read Hyperion and other 3 volumes? Did you like it?

I will continue after you reply to this one
The funny part about Mr. Simmons is that after Hyperion and the "demonization" of the Catholic Church there, he managed to "demonize" the other major religion in one of his on and off letters to his fans. Eurabia 100 or so years in the future..
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #49
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to hear from Harry_T though.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #50
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Maybe he doesn't like any organized religion, like Philip Pullman.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #51
astra
The Introvert

Bump!

Harry_T, please come here
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert

I think the point is clear, because Harry_T avoids answering my question.

I don't think anyone should feel uncomfortable about this book which demonising islam. Nothing wrong with the book or the writer.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #53
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I would definitely buy Brust e-books, even with DRM (which I try to avoid).
Me too. I think the Taltos books are very good but The Phoenix Guard and Five Hundred Years After are absolutely brilliant.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #54
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Me too. I think the Taltos books are very good but The Phoenix Guard and Five Hundred Years After are absolutely brilliant.
I can't find the Paarfi books (the two you mentioned, plus the three-part Viscount of Adrilankha) in ebook format at all. (Nor Brokedown Palace.) These are re-reads for me, so that means I have to store them in paper where I can reach them.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are some books I would like to read on my 505 instead of hardcover. But they are TOR books and as we know, TOR doesn't care.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #56
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are some books I would like to read on my 505 instead of hardcover. But they are TOR books and as we know, TOR doesn't care.
Slightly more accurate to say, TOR's corporate parent won't let them care. The Tor guys have been ready to do the Webscriptions thing with Baen since before Jim Baen passed away. The hold-up has always been at higher levels in the corporate structure.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #57
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Seems to be about resolved now.
tinyurl.com/2phry5
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #58
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Good news!