Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks, JSWolf, for sharing a solution! My complaint is that one shouldn't have to remove DRM and edit the files to get the book to work.
I know we should not have to fix it. But at least we now know it can be put back to the way it should have been from the start.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-28-2011 at 04:46 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi guys, sorry I haven't read through the entire thread, but wanted to assure everyone that there is no conspiracy Adobe ePubs should not be using Kobo CSS as many of you have pointed out.

I'm not on the content development team but they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it and republish impacted books. Sorry for not replying earlier, things a bit busy as you can well imagine

I'll relay what information I can from the team as I get it. Hope that clears some things up.
Here is one of the affected books.

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Trans...S1g/page1.html

When I sort it out, the formatting looks a lot better then with the JS and Kobo CSS. So why is Kobo putting in the JS and Kobo CSS when it can easily make the formatting look worse?

The map in that book is not set to scale to the screen and is bigger then the screen.
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #48
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Hi guys, sorry I haven't read through the entire thread, but wanted to assure everyone that there is no conspiracy Adobe ePubs should not be using Kobo CSS as many of you have pointed out.

I'm not on the content development team but they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it and republish impacted books. Sorry for not replying earlier, things a bit busy as you can well imagine

I'll relay what information I can from the team as I get it. Hope that clears some things up.
Thank you for responding and acknowledging the issue.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #49
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Thank god. even I was getting tired of smearing yoru good name
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #50
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
This explains much. I'd noticed the spaces disappearing after italics in some of my recent Kobo purchases in some otherwise well-made books, but had put that down to general publisher e-book formatting-without-proofreading laxity and/or incompetence.

Glad to see there's an official fix planned (as well as an unofficial workaround).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #51
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Thanks SameerH for contributing to the thread with the inside view. it is much appreciated.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #52
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
FWIW I used the New Year 30% off coupon on Berlin Noir, by Philip Kerr, which also has the problem. Alas.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In post 43 of this thread, I linked to how to fix the problem and put the ePub back to normal. It done is replace the CSS with theirs and add in this Javascript. All my solution does is remove the Javascript and point back to the original CSS.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #54
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still not getting much update on this situation. As of yesterday, one of the books I had reported (Thirteen Orphans) has been fixed (and looks very nice now.) Saints astray was still messed. But if you have affected books, it might be worth removing them from DE and re-downloading to see if any of yours are fixed.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #55
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Thanks for the update, as my book has been fixed.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So is this issue now fixed at Kobo such that any eBooks bought will be correct?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #57
rashkae
Wizard

Who knows? I certainly have no plans to be the one who finds out.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #58
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So is this issue now fixed at Kobo such that any eBooks bought will be correct?
Well one idea might be for someone who had problems to redownload an ADE version....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #59
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Well one idea might be for someone who had problems to redownload an ADE version....
I think the question is whether future purchases can be guaranteed to be correct. The answer is most likely "not yet". I'm not going to be the guinea pig either... Last time I checked only some of my books had been fixed. Has Kobo made any official statements regarding this issue besides we're looking into it?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What would help immensely is if people shared the names of the books. Knowing that would also help us ask more intelligent questions of Kobo staff and try to learn what is going on and why!
I had this happen Christmas Cradle by Linda Warren which was published in December 2011. It looked horrible on Mantano. I have purchased books since then that were older with no issues.

I tried fixing the book but it just removed italics and squashed the words together so I wound up reading it with the horrible formatting.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-12-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote