Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #46
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
That certainly is true - but your original statement was more broadly phrased. Still not sure why there's any contention here, really.

On topic, I think that the anti-MS brigade can be just as rabid as the anti-Apple faction. Personally, I've found Apple's restrictions and control-freakery to be occasionally irritating, but on balance a positive thing.
Careful Ben, you may be behaving in a dangerous fashion by actually commenting on the OP...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #47
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Actually, as the original poster in this thread, it was a comment on the incredible bias of certain users of this forum and the net against Apple... and my original thoughts have been borne out in that, despite MS doing the same as Apple with their Metro on tablets and going without Flash, there has been no rush of condemnation like Apple received but a whole series of "rationalisations" & "excuses"as to how MS are perfectly reasonable for doing this as opposed to nasty Apple doing it...
I don't remember Apple announcing a year before the ipad came out that it won't support Flash.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #48
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
At the moment I'm considering whether I want to install and try Win 8 out or not....Not sure how well it would suit my old laptop or an old desktop ... Hmmmm...
I have W8 installed on a 7 years old, single x64 AMD core, 2GB RAM laptop. The x64 version was a bit too heavy for it, but the x86 works just fine.
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Szmuk View Post
I have W8 installed on a 7 years old, single x64 AMD core, 2GB RAM laptop. The x64 version was a bit too heavy for it, but the x86 works just fine.
Thanks Tony, I may give it a try.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #50
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Windows 8 will support flash, just not on the Metro side...according to Engadget.
Windows 8 Metro does support Flash. Please, read. It's only the Internet Explorer version for Metro which doesn't.
If different than the Ipad, which system doesn't support Flash at all.

Since it is a Windows OS, in theory, it's possible to install other browsers, like Mozilla or Chrome, and have Flash support. Because the OS allows that.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #51
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a personal opinion. I don't find it necessary in the slightest, personally. I do most of my web browsing on my iPhone which is happily "Flash-free".
I agree. I have Flash blocked on my desktop computers, and don't miss it on my mobile experience either. For me it is not a necessary part of web browsing nor media downloading, and hasn't been for a while.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #52
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Windows 8 Metro does support Flash. Please, read. It's only the Internet Explorer version for Metro which doesn't.

Since it is a Windows OS, in theory, it's possible to install other browsers, like Mozilla or Chrome, and have Flash support. Because the OS allows that.
In theory. But again that didn't pan out so well with Windows Phone. And it seems that the ARM version will be built around metro.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #53
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
There will be only one version of Windows 8. There is not such thing as Windows 8 tablet. Windows 8 is an integrated system, metro and desktop at the same time.
So the exact same version of Windows 8 runs on both ARM and x86? Interesting. Someone should tell Steven Sinkofsky.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #54
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
In theory. But again that didn't pan out so well with Windows Phone. And it seems that the ARM version will be built around metro.
I don't think that comparing Windows Phone with Windows 8 is the best in this case. Remember, it's only one system: desktop and metro at the same time, running in all kind of architecture, ARM, x86, etc. There certainly will be x86 tablets running Windows 8. Even, the Samsung Tablet introduced by Windows in the BUILD conference has an x86 processor and it's running Windows 8
Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #55
thebestjeter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
So the exact same version of Windows 8 runs on both ARM and x86? Interesting. Someone should tell Steven Sinkofsky.
I didn't say that. I said that there is not will be Windows 8 Metro only. There are tablets with x86, so tablet does not mean ARM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #56
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I don't think that comparing Windows Phone with Windows 8 is the best in this case. Remember, it's only one system: desktop and metro at the same time, running in all kind of architecture, ARM, x86, etc. There certainly will be x86 tablets running Windows 8. Even, the Samsung Tablet introduced by Windows in the BUILD conference has an x86 processor and it's running Windows 8
One system maybe in a similar sense to iOS. With ARM machines being like the iPhone, x86 machines the iPad. (if you don't know, an iPad can run iPhone specific apps, but not vice versa)

Most likely it with be the ARM tablets which will compete directly with the iPad. I strongly suspect x86 tablets, with their greater bulk, cost, and/or limited battery life, will mainly serve niche markets.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-17-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #57
thebestjeter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I suspect x86, with their greater bulk, cost, and/or limited battery life, will mainly serve niche markets.
I agree.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 09-17-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #58
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
I didn't say that. I said that there is not will be Windows 8 Metro only. There are tablets with x86, so tablet does not mean ARM.
Neither did I... but I was talking about METRO only in this thread but as another MS apologist feel free to obfuscate by throwing Desktop Win 8 into the mix and keep proving my original hypothesis...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #59
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Indeed.
And there is nothing to discuss in this thread, besides FUD that makes Apple look not as bad.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
http://microsoft-news.com/ie10-metro...big-of-a-deal/

But see MetroFlash DOES exist: http://www.metropcs.com/metroflash/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote